Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2017, 07:25 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
this in a population that has high higher education debt.
Gosh, I wonder why. When we could attend an out of state university for less than 4K per year, but their annual tuition bill is more like 40K, when we could find an apartment with a roommate here for under $400 per month, but their rent is more like $2400 per month? When we had no cable, no cell phones, no lap tops to pay for....

What a surprise that they can't afford to buy a starter home in southern California.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 11:05 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Gosh, I wonder why. When we could attend an out of state university for less than 4K per year, but their annual tuition bill is more like 40K, when we could find an apartment with a roommate here for under $400 per month, but their rent is more like $2400 per month? When we had no cable, no cell phones, no lap tops to pay for....

What a surprise that they can't afford to buy a starter home in southern California.
I am not sure which "we" you are referring to. I am part of the McJobs generation, you know, the ones defined by the now forgotten movie Reality Bites. That movie depicted precisely what was happening to my generation complete with floundering careers such as t-shirt folding after graduating from college. Since I went on to get a M.S. and then a J.D. and left school with debt higher than most millennials have EVEN TODAY, I have little sympathy.

No boomer here (though I managed to live among them at a much earlier age).

I did not have avocado toast and I worked my arse off paying down my debt by paying principal only payments. I see millennials buying coffee and take-out all the time.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I am not sure which "we" you are referring to. I am part of the McJobs generation, you know, the ones defined by the now forgotten movie Reality Bites.

I did not have avocado toast and I worked my arse off paying down my debt by paying principal only payments. I see millennials buying coffee and take-out all the time.
My response was to your post below, which was to the plight of Millennials. How nice that you, as a member of Generation X, have done so well; just surprised that you have so little tolerance for those born after you.

Quote:
They like "experiences" like expensive vacations, eating out at places they can brag about etc.- this in a population that has high higher education debt.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:19 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loan2Own View Post
In CA we're just moving to the European model. Multi generational homes, fewer SFRs, more flats/townhomes.
That's one way to say it's overcrowded and expensive.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
My response was to your post below, which was to the plight of Millennials. How nice that you, as a member of Generation X, have done so well; just surprised that you have so little tolerance for those born after you.
I have many older millennial friends, close friends at that. They do not manage their money like I did. It is not about tolerance, but discipline. One just went on a three week overseas vacay filled with a balloon ride, nightclub visits, treks to Ayres rock, Perth, etc. etc. Then I hear that saving for a down payment is rough man.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Why shouldn't I buy coffee and take-out whenever I want? I have $0 student debt, I have my own place, I have more in savings than the majority of baby boomers, much less Gen X.

I don't have to pay for a cell phone bill, I don't pay for a cable (TV) bill, I don't have an auto payment.

Better watch out though, LSOC will see me at Starbucks buying a lightly sweet chai tea latte for $4 once or twice a month! (I can just see the steam coming out of his ears. Damn those millennials and their avocado toast and coffee shops!!**#@)

I have seen my wife for maybe 10 days this month due to our different work schedules. I guess it's terrible that when we are together we enjoy going to nice restaurants where we pay $50-100 for a groupon worth $100-200 every weekend.

Sorry my life isn't approved by you
Welcome back.

I see your point but would add that not many millennials are in your family's financial situation. For those that can afford all of that, no judgment.

Old 08-26-2017, 11:11 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Gunna start off with the irony of this statement here. Do I need to explain to you why this is ironic or do you understand?

K because you took two different sources you now have 2 sets of numbers that overlap. Your dates for people born between 1982 and 1984 are both millennials and gen x. That's retarded fyi. I recommend you go with Pew's dates.

Greatest: <1928
Silent: 1929 - 1945
Boomer: 1946 - 1964
Gen X: 1965 - 1980
Gen Y: 1981 - 1997

Millennials surpass Gen Xers as the largest generation in U.S. labor force | Pew Research Center

As far as what ages people would be having children, I already posted all that and the averages. Honestly the fact you're even trying to argue that the majority of Gen Y's parents are Gen X is sort of embarrassing.
If you can't remember the Kennedy assassination you're not a Boomer. (That would make me the oldest Gen Xer. )

If you can't remember 9/11 you're not Gen Y.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
If you can't remember the Kennedy assassination you're not a Boomer.
Not really. My youngest sibling was a month old when Kennedy was assassinated, and according to most definitions, he's considered a Boomer. There are sub-categories of all of these generation definitions, which are probably a lot more accurate, including what defines Millennials.

2 subsets of Baby Boomer generation:1. the save-the-world revolutionaries of the ’60s and ’70s;
and 2. the party-hardy career climbers (Yuppies) of the ’70s/’80s.
The Six Living Generations In America

Old 08-27-2017, 02:47 PM

1,962 posts, read 4,484,772 times
Quote:
I am not sure which "we" you are referring to. I am part of the McJobs generation, you know, the ones defined by the now forgotten movie Reality Bites. That movie depicted precisely what was happening to my generation complete with floundering careers such as t-shirt folding after graduating from college. Since I went on to get a M.S. and then a J.D. and left school with debt higher than most millennials have EVEN TODAY, I have little sympathy.

No boomer here (though I managed to live among them at a much earlier age).

I guess I never thought of eating avocado toast as being the acme of having arrived. I would see former roommates make it for themselves early in the morning before going off to work working their blue collar jobs.

Old 08-27-2017, 04:07 PM

286 posts, read 640,016 times
Factors for the high price of OC living come from supply and demand.. Demand is high, supply is limited. Don't forget the international influence applying pressure on the real estate market and COL. A lot of people from outside the U.S. with big money park where they can afford.. raising prices and pushing others out..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County