Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2017, 06:52 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
I have 83 employees now, and I can spot an entitled millennial within 20-30 seconds just by reading their resume. Suffice to say, it goes right into the garbage bin.
Do tell. I wanna know how to spot them too just by a resume. I can spot them by taking to one. Share the knowledge man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
Quote:
I have 83 employees now, and I can spot an entitled millennial within 20-30 seconds just by reading their resume. Suffice to say, it goes right into the garbage bin.
My husband isn't the one reading the resume or hiring, but he does sit in on interviews and he does supervise several.

But I am not sure all of these millennials can be identified in a resume. What kind of work do you hire for?

Old 09-13-2017, 09:16 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracerOW View Post
I would like to know as well.

On another note, why would you (the CEO of an 83 person company) be the one screening junior position resumes? Dont you have hr or wouldnt thr hiring managers be the first ones?
I'm not the "CEO". The company was acquired last year (along with my ownership percentage), and I have 5 months left until my double trigger 12 month clause runs out, then after that I'll officially be unemployed for the first time in 17 years.

I always personally screen all positions now. It's part of my duties, and the company rarely highers "juniors". We're not big enough of a company to hire "junior" positions regularly.

Hope that helps!

Old 09-13-2017, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Do tell. I wanna know how to spot them too just by a resume. I can spot them by taking to one. Share the knowledge man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
My husband isn't the one reading the resume or hiring, but he does sit in on interviews and he does supervise several.

But I am not sure all of these millennials can be identified in a resume. What kind of work do you hire for?
Quote:
I would like to know as well.
Alright, since 3-4 people have asked me, and another 2 through PM, I'll help everyone out. Great success never comes from out of the blue, someone had to help you out at some point. So I'm returning the favor.

Tell Tale Signs of a Useless Millennial Resume

1. Too much Fluff (aka "volunteer and extra-curricular experience") - This is my #1 indicator. 99% of the time, if the resume is a what I call a "multi-pager", I know it's going to be an entitled millennial with a fluffy resume. The first 1/3 will have very little work experience, the last 2/3 will have things like "5k Walk for Planned Parenthood". Automatically toss these into the trash.

2. Unrecognizable Major - Sometimes I'll get a good resume (or so I thought), and the guy/gal will list a credible university. But the major listed will be "Instructional Technology". I'll toss it. Usually these people come in and don't know anything about tech, but think they do because it says so in their degree.

3. Unexplained gaps - I'll sometimes get someone who has worked for 2 years, then the next listed job will be 4 years in the future. Have not had good experience with these types. They usually are transient, not dedicated, and not focused as individuals. I'll toss the resume into the trash like Kobe making a layup.

4. Too political - Any resume that list "Intern for Bernie Sanders/Clinton/Pelosi" etc will always get an automatic introduction to the paper shredder.

5. Too much social media presence - I will do individual research on an applicant and their social media presence. If you have extremely active Twitter, Facebook, Snapchat, etc accounts, it's an automatic toss for me. Too much risk of bringing down negative attention if you post the wrong thing, and let's be honest, it'll happen and it will have a direct effect on my wallet. Not worth the risk.

Those are some golden tips that have helped me hire top tier talent for an extremely successful company that eventually got to the acquisition stage and made me filthy rich.

You're welcome.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:

Those are some golden tips that have helped me hire top tier talent for an extremely successful company that eventually got to the acquisition stage and made me filthy rich.

You're welcome.
Gonna be able to spend more time in CA now.

Not the forum, just at the beach, mountains, parks, theaters, zoos, amusement parks, well where ever you want.

Now if a couple of my patents and companies would just sell, I could do that too.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Gonna be able to spend more time in CA now.

Not the forum, just at the beach, mountains, parks, theaters, zoos, amusement parks, well where ever you want.

Now if a couple of my patents and companies would just sell, I could do that too.
I'll be spending more time in Alaska. I got a sweet property in Palmer. So I'll probably spend most of next Summer and Fall there.

Old 09-13-2017, 02:52 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,540,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
it comes on pink paper and is scented with entitlement

Old 09-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
it comes on pink paper and is scented with entitlement
And the spelling and grammar is bad.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomFIST View Post
Sorry, don't buy that one. I would predict that education level and entitlement factor would be positively correlated.
Not when you spend your time texting and abbreviate everything. U C what I mean.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
So you regularly hire millennials into non-junior positions? Strange that you would have to go to so much effort to filter out a bunch of entitled millennials if you are hiring seasoned professionals.
tamaishu, you're not hiding very well. What is this? Your third account you've made to get around your ban?

You know making up ANOTHER burner account to get around a ban is against the city-data rules right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County