Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2017, 10:52 AM

2,396 posts, read 2,653,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
One of the biggest problems is Millennials want a life like their parents had. Ain't gonna happen.

In the 50's and 60's lower middle class in CA could afford to buy a home in OC. Today even the middle, middle class has a hard time buying and the upper middle class is seeing prices rise beyond their abilities. Building more multi family buildings will not drop the costs and the salaries Millennials will be making in general will not keep up with the COL in the desirable areas of CA. It wasn't that way for their parents, but it is reality now. Unless you bought a home 6 years or more ago (Excepting the mid years of the 1st decade) you will have a hard time now as CA has changed due to the number of people living in CA and wanting to live in CA.

Millennials have to be prepared to live a different life in CA and a more expensive one, if they can live in CA at all. No way to fix that, unlike for Baby Boomers who lived in a different CA and different economic times. Ca is way different now than it was for them.
I think one of the hardest things is leaving those Baby Boomer parents behind in Orange County. We had one set relocate to be near us out of state, but they are retired. It is very helpful to have them nearby for baby sitting and not getting on an airplane for the holidays. Having family nearby really helps! The other set is tied to the OC area still as they aren't retired, which is hard. I have one sibling that also ended up out of state and one still in OC that lives at home.

The affordable housing problem is a fact of life, it just is hard because for some families, it means they get split up over the country or even the region as many of the millennial children (like myself) seek out a place where they can be financially independent.... or live at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2017, 11:07 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,311,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
I think one of the hardest things is leaving those Baby Boomer parents behind in Orange County. We had one set relocate to be near us out of state, but they are retired. It is very helpful to have them nearby for baby sitting and not getting on an airplane for the holidays. Having family nearby really helps! The other set is tied to the OC area still as they aren't retired, which is hard. I have one sibling that also ended up out of state and one still in OC that lives at home.

The affordable housing problem is a fact of life, it just is hard because for some families, it means they get split up over the country or even the region as many of the millennial children (like myself) seek out a place where they can be financially independent.... or live at home.
This is true. My family is spread all across the US from OR to the East Coast and in between. One cousin left in CA and a few step family and that is it. Not fun for sure, but virtually all of them were born and raised in CA and left ,not because they had to, but because they wanted to.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:07 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,093,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
That sounds appealing, but some Rancho Mission Viejo residents are complaining about a foul odor in the air:
Rancho Mission Viejo residents frustrated with continuing foul smell from water-treatment plant – Orange County Register

That sulfuric smell, they say, comes from the Chiquita Treatment Plant, operated by the Santa Margarita Water District, that sits at the northwest end of their properties. It’s been an ongoing problem in the new neighborhood since residents moved in, some up to 18 months ago.

“You can’t go outside and enjoy your patio unless you want to smell that,” said Bob Bone,*71, who moved to the mixed-age*community from Laguna Niguel in May 2016. “It’s embarrassing. This is a new house, a new neighborhood.”
The odors must not be that bad. Gelsons is opening there.

Sendero Marketplace in Rancho Mission Viejo, with Gelson’s, celebrates grand opening – Orange County Register

Old 11-29-2017, 08:21 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,657,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
I don't see how that proves that the odors are not very bad.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:23 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,093,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
I don't see how that proves that the odors are not very bad.
It would seem odd to open a higher tier grocery store in the middle of a stink fest.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:09 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,657,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
It would seem odd to open a higher tier grocery store in the middle of a stink fest.
They probably didn't know about the problem during the development stage when they signed their lease. It seems that home buyers didn't even know before they actually moved into their new homes. They knew about the risk, but not the reality.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:13 PM

765 posts, read 490,413 times
I'm a SoCal native, only because my Mom came to CA to visit her married sister, saw the weather was 75 degrees in January, and call home and said, "Ma, send my stuff, I'm not coming back to west TX." However, my son can't afford to buy a house in Orange Co., and doesn't want to live in Temecula or Hemet or Corona. His three boys need room to run and grow, without fear of drive-by bullets. His wife's employer wanted to open an office in TX, so the went to check it out. Couldn't believe the palace they could buy for 275k, and for giggles put an offer on a beautiful house near DFW. Within four months they were gone. He got a job right away and they're loving TX. I should be retired now, but I'm still working for the man every night and every day, and am considering moving to TX.

Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,745,792 times
housing is a joke... the prices keep going up by tens of thousands every month or two, imagine if other categories went up similarly, milk would be $100/gallon, bread $50/loaf, cup of coffee $20... for whatever reason people think these home prices are just fine, ridiculous! At one point in our history ordinary people were buying these homes, teachers, social workers even lower end folks like admin assistants etc. could buy a smaller condo. Now even a small condo can be afforded by only those appearing on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

The weather argument is ridiculous, it's a very small reason prices are so high... the sun has always been shining here for the last 100 years yet prices have been very low in the past, has more to do with the demand vs supply at a particular moment. Right now there is a lot of cash floating around the world and plenty of people with suitcases of million dollars that want to park it somewhere. Sometime in the future capital will dry up and all these homes will be suddenly worthless just like 2009.

Housing is now behaving like stocks, 100% appreciation followed by a 50% drop, whereas in the past the up/down cycles were much smaller.

Old 12-01-2017, 04:06 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,960,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
housing is a joke... the prices keep going up by tens of thousands every month or two, imagine if other categories went up similarly, milk would be $100/gallon, bread $50/loaf, cup of coffee $20...
Milk and Bread are disposable goods with relative low replenishment cost.

Now try to make more land in Coastal OC.

Old 12-01-2017, 05:32 PM

7,826 posts, read 11,745,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Milk and Bread are disposable goods with relative low replenishment cost.

Now try to make more land in Coastal OC.
It's not just Coastal OC that is high priced, try inland dumps like Whittier and Pomona going for half a million dollars or more. Those places are also prime gang areas with ****ty schools. Nothing great about those neighborhoods. Yeah, it isn't Newport Beach we are talking about here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County