Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

And apparently LA has the same problem. The situation is not as bad in San Diego. Riverside and San Bernandino, by contrast, seem to have no such problem.

Orange County's workforce loses Millennials who can't afford to live here - The Orange County Register
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2016, 06:07 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
And apparently LA has the same problem. The situation is not as bad in San Diego. Riverside and San Bernandino, by contrast, seem to have no such problem.

Orange County's workforce loses Millennials who can't afford to live here - The Orange County Register
This is the new norm on the coast and will not change. It isn't just OC either, but every popular location.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:11 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This is the new norm on the coast and will not change. It isn't just OC either, but every popular location.
Did you see the numbers for OC and LA and compare them to places like Santa Clara and San Diego? We will simply have very few young people in coastal communities and tons of automation.

Old 10-17-2016, 06:15 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Did you see the numbers for OC and LA and compare them to places like Santa Clara and San Diego? We will simply have very few young people in coastal communities and tons of automation.
Yep I am seeing the automatic order machines in lots of Fast Food places even now. Plus the older population will go to such a lot less. Actually what is happening is ultimately unsupportable, but there is no real fix.

Old 10-17-2016, 07:32 PM

173 posts, read 289,893 times
I'm a millennial, and was priced out of OC and California in general. The salaries and COL do NOT match up. I packed my bags and moved down South. It's sad, really.

Old 10-17-2016, 10:45 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickz623 View Post
I'm a millennial, and was priced out of OC and California in general. The salaries and COL do NOT match up. I packed my bags and moved down South. It's sad, really.
Yep. Most of the millennials I know moved out of state, live with family, or had Mommy and Daddy help out with buying a place. We left.

Old 10-17-2016, 11:41 PM

53 posts, read 82,555 times
Maybe millennials and future young americans need to understand that in order to live in a desirable area, you need to be motivated in getting an education to prosper in life. Not to expect affordable housing and government handouts. I'm quite satisfied when non-contributing members of society get priced out. They are an inconvience to be around.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:18 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times
The average rent in oc is about 1600, vs. 1800 in San Diego, 1150 in Riverside, and 2300 in LA. So I'm not sure why people are saying oc is so expensive...those are numbers from competing sites.....don't know where the article came up with 1900, and don't know where knx radio tonight came up with 1800....Are they leaving out rents in cheaper northern oc?

Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 AM

218 posts, read 350,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Maybe millennials and future young americans need to understand that in order to live in a desirable area, you need to be motivated in getting an education to prosper in life. Not to expect affordable housing and government handouts. I'm quite satisfied when non-contributing members of society get priced out. They are an inconvience to be around.
Over here in metro Phoenix, and Scottsdale, millenials are not motivated. They move from back east and the Midwest as trust funders, causing a lot of problems with drugs and crime. When I've been in Irvine, Newport, I don't see this, I see motivated, professional young people who aren't smoking weed and meth. Further north in oc, a different story. Durango, Colorado is another place with non contributing members of society who are trust funders, and lots of drugs.

The above is the major reason why I dislike Phoenix and Scottsdale.

Old 10-18-2016, 01:45 AM

173 posts, read 289,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHate Texas View Post
Ha. I received my education and established myself in my career. Affordable housing is something that should be attainable, but that isn't the case in Southern California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County