Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:05 PM

107 posts, read 342,192 times

Advertisements

ok so many of you have read my posts and know my situation about moving to california. im not going to explain everything but basically i was trying to decide between pasadena and palm desert.

it was suggested to me that i become more open to different places in so cal or maybe arizona. i definately want to stick to just these two states/areas though.

so what i am looking for is a place that is affordable, and by that i mean not as expensive as pasadena. that is where i would go if money weren't an option. id also like a decent sized town with things to do!...good nightlife nearby, maybe physical avtivities like biking, and id kind of like a neighborhood that would be walkable but thats not the most important thing. finally i will need to be near a decent college where i can get a certificate in photography.

i am 22. i like big cities like la and sd so id like to stay somewhat close to one. i dont mind hot weather at all. in fact, as long as its dry air i kind of like it. i DONT like cold weather, though.

i know its impossible to find one place that fits every characteristic i described. any areas that come close though?

sorry to everyone who constantly has to read my indecisve posts! but youve all been very helpful! im just trying to be more open-minded in the last month that i have to decide!

thankyou
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2008, 05:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,681,943 times
i would look in/near long beach. los alamitos is in orange and has affordable rents. long beach has areas that are good and bad(good is mostly coastal and east of the traffic circle/long beach airport), but should have affordable rent(especially near cal state long beach[CSULB]). Lakewood is good east of Lakewood Blvd as well.

cypress and la palma are also affordable and would put you close to cypress college(community college). they offer photography there as well, but it is a 2yr college. they arent too far from long beach either. los alamitos and east lakewood(east of the 605 fwy) are halfway between both schools.

Last edited by bhcompy; 02-27-2008 at 06:39 PM..

Old 02-27-2008, 06:20 PM

thankyou. very helpful. i think long beach city college looks like a good school. and it is close to some of the areas you mentioned. i will keep researching these areas

Old 02-27-2008, 06:41 PM

long beach city college is a 2yr school and a fine choice for a 2yr school. the surrounding area is fine as well. lots of apts, college students, etc.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:54 PM

*sigh*

finally starting to feel like im getting somewhere!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,807,685 times
Palm Desert or Pasadena..? How could you have asked about two more different places. California is a big place. Since you know nothing about the place, my suggestion is to pick a spot, rent an apartment and get on with moving. I would guess a job isn't a problem, since the two cities you mention are many miles apart, you must not be moving for a job, so just land somewhere, and then you can get familiar with So calif and make an intelligent decision on where to hang your hat.
You can read this blog forever and never know anything about where to live.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:21 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fowler_966 View Post
i was trying to decide between pasadena and palm desert.
i definately want to stick to just these two states/areas though.
Why those two places? At 22, do you think Palm Desert will keep you entertained? Pasadena is probably a lot more fun (but probably more expensive too.) Santa Monica maybe? Moorpark College is a good school too but it might be too boring a neighborhood region.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:40 PM

ok well the reason i am probably not moving to palm desert is because ive heard it is very boring. and i think i can get a better education elswhere. and i know that pasadena would be fun and the college is good, but the reason i am not moving there is because it is too expensive. also, i know they are very different from eachother, but i do like both. i have lived in cali for 3 months before so i DO know a LITTLE about it.

as for the job thing, no that wont be a problem. since i will be going to school, i will find a part time job, once im settled, probly in retail. and i kinda figured that wouldnt be too hard to find.

the main reasons im moving there are 1)i hate where im at and i love cali and 2)for school. i need to be in school next semester which is why my search is somewhat centered around finding a good school.

the reason i am not moving right now is because i currently have two jobs that i am working, trying to save a little money before i move to a more expensive place. and finally, i have about a month to make my decision and when i do, that will be where i will have to stay for about the next 2 years.

some other schools that i think seem ok for photography are orange coast college, mt. san antonio college, and san diego city college. i think im stoping at that though!

hope this answered some of your questions so you can better understand my situation.
i have the wonderful problem of having way too many options but i believe i am getting very close!

Old 02-27-2008, 10:20 PM

long beach city college is good for photography last i remember. my photography teacher from highschool also helped out there and she was very good

orange coast is a nice school i guess. known for most playmates out of college

Old 02-28-2008, 09:13 PM

158 posts, read 579,718 times
If you want to get the full flavor of California, I'd stick to South Orange County (although you'll pay the price $$.)

I need more information about what you are looking for to better guide you.

For example, what types of neighborhoods do you like?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County