Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2016, 06:46 PM

167 posts, read 195,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightlysparrow View Post
You could afford Indio. Why not live there?
Never understood people who'd rather live in-land California as opposed to another state. If you're so far from the jobs/beach that you can't get there within an hour then just live in a different state. I'd definitely live in Phoenix or even Albuquerque before Indio and Palm Springs. If I absolutely had to be in California and made around 40k I'd live in Santa Ana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2016, 07:19 PM

55 posts, read 95,805 times
I don't think 40k would even get a decent apartment in Santa Ana - or if so, with expenses I really think it would still come out to well over 1/2 of that income. Some of the talk on here about how bad Santa Ana is?
I haven't been back and spent a long time (other than Thanksgivings and July 4th when I go see my parents, family etc) but I thought Santa Ana was already gentrified.

It's happening wherever it can, I guess.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:22 PM

209 posts, read 263,866 times
you ever considered moving to Southern Nevada (Las Vegas, Henderson)? It's cold for 3 months, perfect for 5 months and very hot for the remaining 4 months. Cost of living is closer to that of Boise than anywhere in California, and you're a 4 hour drive from Huntington Beach, or 48 minute plane ride to John Wayne Airport. It's got a lot going on as far as outdoor activities in the nearby mountain ranges and lake mead. I'm not dissing your age, but at your age you might want to base your location on where you can have the most affordable living arrangement as opposed to the coolest/funnest location. California is probably in the top 3 most expensive states to live in and there is no sign that things are leveling off...it's only getting worse.

Old 12-30-2016, 05:01 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwdvision View Post
I moved up here in 2001 as much because I "wanted to live in a cool mountain town" and with low cost of living (I don't ski or board; I'm an avid cyclist though - road and mountain).

Now, I make 28k with good benefits and EVEN UP HERE, is just keeping me in studio apt.
It's in a good area though, accessible to my current job and the north end, trailheads to ride Mtn bike or go out on greenbelt or get on more wide open roads on road bike, etc...

Grew up in SoCal.

I guess, since a miracle would have to occur for me to start making upwards of like what $250,000 per year as a single, 53 year old, to be able to move back down and live in nice area of Orange County - to rent, not even THINKING about buying down there.

I guess I'm done huh?
With that woe me attitude you bet your buns you're going to die in Idaho. You gotta choose your life. You chose a slower pace, outdoor type lifestyle.

California especially the crowded in demand areas are expensive

As far as Indio, it's ok. Just hot as Hades in the summertime. But it's relatively cheap. Doubt you'll be making much more than you are where you are.

You need to make a choice as to what you want. Because you need to dust off that degree. But you'll be a 53 year old entry level with a marketing degree.

40k a year here is enough to scrape by in Santa Ana. But it's going to be miserable

Old 12-30-2016, 04:19 PM

30,897 posts, read 36,958,653 times
Quote:
I moved up here in 2001 as much because I "wanted to live in a cool mountain town" and with low cost of living (I don't ski or board; I'm an avid cyclist though - road and mountain).

Now, I make 28k with good benefits and EVEN UP HERE, is just keeping me in studio apt.
It's in a good area though, accessible to my current job and the north end, trailheads to ride Mtn bike or go out on greenbelt or get on more wide open roads on road bike, etc...

Grew up in SoCal.

I guess, since a miracle would have to occur for me to start making upwards of like what $250,000 per year as a single, 53 year old, to be able to move back down and live in nice area of Orange County - to rent, not even THINKING about buying down there.

I guess I'm done huh?
My situation is somewhat similar to yours. I'm younger than you (mid 40s) but I have a semi-equivalent job as you do in the SF Bay Area. I make almost double what you do with good benefits at a government job. If I didn't have a landlord who was merciful with the rent increases on my studio apartment (not raising rent nearly as much as they could have) I'd already be outta here. The thing is, even with a merciful landlord, the lifestyle here just isn't all that great for people of modest incomes. I know it's a little cheaper in SoCal than the Bay Area, but the pay is typically lower, too.

I don't think you'd need to make 250K to have the lifestyle you want, but you're realistically going to have to make double, most likely triple, what you do in Idaho to have the same lifestyle--and you're not going to get that doing the same kind of work you do now....And even if you have money, you still have to deal with traffic. Trying to get an apartment with reasonable rent that's close to work is theoretically possible, but tough to pull off. Super tough, if not impossible, to pull off if you live in a beach town. I suspect you are like me in that you prefer a lower pressure work / living environment where there are more important things in life than just work/career/earning a lot of money so you can afford to live in the beach town (but possibly not have the time to enjoy it). Idaho is probably better for that type of person.

I'd say be grateful for what you have in Idaho. The grass isn't necessarily greener here. Even in the best circumstances, trade offs are made. (i.e. Even rich people have to deal with traffic and crowds).

Old 12-30-2016, 04:39 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,142,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
My situation is somewhat similar to yours. I'm younger than you (mid 40s) but I have a semi-equivalent job as you do in the SF Bay Area. I make almost double what you do with good benefits at a government job. If I didn't have a landlord who was merciful with the rent increases on my studio apartment (not raising rent nearly as much as they could have) I'd already be outta here. The thing is, even with a merciful landlord, the lifestyle here just isn't all that great for people of modest incomes. I know it's a little cheaper in SoCal than the Bay Area, but the pay is typically lower, too.

I don't think you'd need to make 250K to have the lifestyle you want, but you're realistically going to have to make double, most likely triple, what you do in Idaho to have the same lifestyle--and you're not going to get that doing the same kind of work you do now....And even if you have money, you still have to deal with traffic. Trying to get an apartment with reasonable rent that's close to work is theoretically possible, but tough to pull off. Super tough, if not impossible, to pull off if you live in a beach town. I suspect you are like me in that you prefer a lower pressure work / living environment where there are more important things in life than just work/career/earning a lot of money so you can afford to live in the beach town (but possibly not have the time to enjoy it). Idaho is probably better for that type of person.

I'd say be grateful for what you have in Idaho. The grass isn't necessarily greener here. Even in the best circumstances, trade offs are made. (i.e. Even rich people have to deal with traffic and crowds).
Agreed and Idaho and surrounds are massively underrated.

Old 12-30-2016, 04:45 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Maybe you should take the risk and send your resumes to various companies near your relatives in So. Cal. The worst that could happen is you don't get any calls.

But, it is at least worth a chance especially if you'd be happier there. Perhaps even look at getting a Masters in Business which you can do online from anywhere nearly these days....Or, take a risk and move to So. Cali for a degree.

IT is better than looking back in 10 years wishing that you had.

Old 12-30-2016, 09:20 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
OP, save some cash, rent a room in your most desired OC locale, and find a job or 2 that will pay your more than $28K.

Good luck!

Old 12-31-2016, 05:30 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,646,246 times
Quote:
I'm just a member services representative with a state agency. Basically customer service.
I do have a BS Degree in Business Marketing from Cal State Long Beach, but I never "used" it; never "developed" those talents.
I guess I better keep knowing how to enjoy the "little pleasures of life" and live day to day - cuz I guess that's it for me.

My family (foster family anyway, I was a foster child but they're closest to "my" family) all live down there
Brother works Boeing, does well, solid career. Surfs or Paddleboards most days, nice apartment near Huntington Harbor. Owns in Westminster but doesn't live there.
Sis lives with her husband in Oceanside. Also owns and rents out house next door and owns my parents condo in Indio.
Folks, (my Mom) who is Mayor of Seal Beach, lives in Leisure world.

I screwed up and now paying for it.
Someone tell me long ago when I was young "you either work hard/pay now and play later, or you go ahead and play now but you'll pay later"

Ughh

It's not too late to update your education. I'm not necessarily talking about getting a master's degree, although that is always an option. But, just taking some classes to update your marketable skills or learn new ones (i.e., computer programming) could make a difference in your job prospects. If nothing else, they show potential employers you haven't just "given up." Check out what Boise State or the College of Western Idaho (Community College) have to offer. The U of Idaho also offers online courses. They're all cheaper for Idaho residents than Cal States are for California residents. (If you enroll in a degree program, you may even qualify for financial aid).

Never just roll over and say you're done. You're only done when you're dead.

All that said, if you find yourself feeling really depressed about your life, it might be helpful to seek out some counseling. It sounds like you've been through a lot in your life, and sometimes a professional can provide a bit of perspective that can help you break out of a rut.

I hope 2017 will be the start of something great for you!

Old 12-31-2016, 07:36 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
I guess I'm done huh?
Yep. Stick a fork in you; you're done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County