Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 11:07 AM

129 posts, read 164,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Do you think calling all landlords greedy for raising rents is a rash assumption?

I feel that you wanting to live in OC and complain about rent is greedy and self serving. You're only thinking about your own situation and not the situation of property owners whose livelihood would be affected by rent control policies.

Why do you need a house?

Why not just a small condo, or live in a shared coop? Wanting a house seems kind of greedy.
I actually consider a Condo a house. It's not a SFH, but it's a home. Same like an apartment. It's an apartment HOME. My focus is on OWNING. I don't think it's "greedy" to want to own and not be part of the roller-coaster of renting anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2017, 11:10 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,986,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_View View Post
I actually consider a Condo a house. It's not a SFH, but it's a home. Same like an apartment. It's an apartment HOME. My focus is on OWNING. I don't think it's "greedy" to want to own and not be part of the roller-coaster of renting anymore.
I agree, it's not greedy, you want to make a better life for yourself. So does everyone else. You don't need to own a home to survive, but it would feel better for your situation. I understand.

Same with landlords who own property for rental profit.

That's why rent control is retarded. You should never suggest that as a policy again.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I agree, it's not greedy, you want to make a better life for yourself. So does everyone else. You don't need to own a home to survive, but it would feel better for your situation. I understand.

Same with landlords who own property for rental profit.

That's why rent control is retarded. You should never suggest that as a policy again.
It's not really about trying to make a better life or needing to survive. I don't need to own a home in order to survive, but it would get rid of the constant rising prices in rent. I don't think my mortgage payment would go up every year, but who knows...maybe it would?? I'm just looking for stability, and there seems to be more stability in owning.

I'm just tired of the rate of increase in rental prices in places that aren't even worth the money. Old fixtures, window AC units (seriously? ), and these places charge $1400 and up in rent. It's just really crazy to me. An apt like that where I'm from would be about $800/month.

But whatever...these rental properties are trying to make the most profit they can regardless.... Screw everybody else.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny_View View Post
It's not really about trying to make a better life or needing to survive. I don't need to own a home in order to survive, but it would get rid of the constant rising prices in rent. I don't think my mortgage payment would go up every year, but who knows...maybe it would?? I'm just looking for stability, and there seems to be more stability in owning.

I'm just tired of the rate of increase in rental prices in places that aren't even worth the money. Old fixtures, window AC units (seriously? ), and these places charge $1400 and up in rent. It's just really crazy to me. An apt like that where I'm from would be about $800/month.

But whatever...these rental properties are trying to make the most profit they can regardless.... Screw everybody else.
Where are you from? Is it a lower cost of living area than OC?

Do you honestly think a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan should rent for the same amount as it would rent "from where you're from"?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Where are you from? Is it a lower cost of living area than OC?

Do you honestly think a 1 bedroom apartment in Manhattan should rent for the same amount as it would rent "from where you're from"?
Manhattan is ridiculously over-priced as well imo...But that's besides the point. But at least in Manhattan you're in the big city, so most jobs pay way more than they do in the nation in general. Also, keep in mind that the metro and transportation system is so much more efficient, so technically, you could work in Manhattan but not actually have to LIVE in that expensive area of the town. You can take the train to another borough and be doing slightly okay. NYC is still ridiculously expensive imo, but at least with the ease of public transportation, people have OPTIONS.

My gripe with SoCal (again, as I mentioned in my original post) is that the pay rate/salary in OC is not COMMISERATE with the COL out here. And it's not even like you can commute to Irvine/LA or the "higher paying areas" with relative ease. For most, the commute is about an hour or MORE each way to work! So it just doesn't make sense to me. Here in SoCal, the public transportation system is not as developed, so even if people wanted to work in the city and live in the suburbs, it's a chore just driving to work each day...it's not even worth it sometimes.

I'm not from NYC, but I am from the East Coast. The COL wasn't low (actually there are some things in CA that are cheaper than where I'm from), but it wasn't as high as SoCal, YET the jobs paid MORE! I made double back home what I do out here. It's not cheap to live there (COL is high there too), but at least you had options with a good metro/subway system, and you get much more in housing.

Living out here and having to budget my spending more and learning better ways of not just throwing money frivolously around has been helpful (I'll admit), and I don't mind that actually. It's been a good learning experience imo. My only gripe is with HOUSING and transportation. Housing is not as expensive where I'm from compared to here. The COL is still kind of high, but you do seem to get a little more for your money when it comes to housing. As do MOST areas in the country it seems.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:10 PM

44 posts, read 70,330 times
What people fail to realize is now that more than one tenant actually lives in an apartment, documented or not. If there is one room, there will be at least two people. If there are two rooms, there will be at least 4 people. People simply cannot afford to live by themselves in OC anymore. There is not a single person that I know who is living alone and instead are sharing an apartment, or living with parents. So no, the rent prices aren't just. People just fail to realize that the rent rate does not truly reflect the affordability for a single person.

There are actually rental vacancies everywhere. There are houses on the market. But you cannot base COL solely on population growth. In fact, "Orange County added 159,510 people over the five-year period covered by the new data – the equivalent of an entire new city the size of Fullerton or Orange." (‘O.C. has hit middle age’: Orange County’s growth has slowed down, but not in Irvine – Orange County Register) Take into account how massive OC is. 31,902 average per year puts very little stress across five years.

So what justifies the increasing rent? Demand? What demand? Nobody can truly pinpoint the issue of rent increases other than tenants justifying the costs through "paradise tax" or what have you. Capitalism? That's one reason out of many. People (such as myself) are moving out of state where their dollars can stretch very far, at the cost of resetting their lives (friends, family).

You have Arizona and Nevada, the closest two neighboring states. People are flocking one state over for many reasons. It's only a 4-5 hour drive away. Live in Paradise Valley or West Valley(Arizona) for 300-400 less per month in rent. Homes are at least half of what it is going for in OC. I paid 225 for my home and my friend paid over double for his in OC. Absolutely ridiculous. Pay .40-.50 less per gallon of gas. Bearable traffic. Pack up Thursday, clock out Friday and head straight into OC. Family and friends still live in OC and can give you a place to crash, so why not? Is this "paradise tax" really worth the 300+/mo premium when the beaches are visited less than once a month?

Old 04-12-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedelicbeats View Post
What people fail to realize is now that more than one tenant actually lives in an apartment, documented or not. If there is one room, there will be at least two people. If there are two rooms, there will be at least 4 people. People simply cannot afford to live by themselves in OC anymore. There is not a single person that I know who is living alone and instead are sharing an apartment, or living with parents. So no, the rent prices aren't just. People just fail to realize that the rent rate does not truly reflect the affordability for a single person.

There are actually rental vacancies everywhere. There are houses on the market. But you cannot base COL solely on population growth. In fact, "Orange County added 159,510 people over the five-year period covered by the new data – the equivalent of an entire new city the size of Fullerton or Orange." (‘O.C. has hit middle age’: Orange County’s growth has slowed down, but not in Irvine – Orange County Register) Take into account how massive OC is. 31,902 average per year puts very little stress across five years.

So what justifies the increasing rent? Demand? What demand? Nobody can truly pinpoint the issue of rent increases other than tenants justifying the costs through "paradise tax" or what have you. Capitalism? That's one reason out of many. People (such as myself) are moving out of state where their dollars can stretch very far, at the cost of resetting their lives (friends, family).

You have Arizona and Nevada, the closest two neighboring states. People are flocking one state over for many reasons. It's only a 4-5 hour drive away. Live in Paradise Valley or West Valley(Arizona) for 300-400 less per month in rent. Homes are at least half of what it is going for in OC. I paid 225 for my home and my friend paid over double for his in OC. Absolutely ridiculous. Pay .40-.50 less per gallon of gas. Bearable traffic. Pack up Thursday, clock out Friday and head straight into OC. Family and friends still live in OC and can give you a place to crash, so why not? Is this "paradise tax" really worth the 300+/mo premium when the beaches are visited less than once a month?
Imo...not really.

Not when I can get so much more in other areas/states. Not when my dollars can stretch a bit more, and I can get paid more (in some areas). When you're younger and you just want to live somewhere to have fun, it's okay. But as you get older and want more stability, you start looking for different things. You start wanting a little bit more stability. And I think that's just where I am right now in my life. I love what OC/CA has to offer, but I'm not 100% sure that in the long run this would be the best area to settle down forever.

I agree too that living by yourself in OC is quite difficult. Most people don't live alone. I live on my own (thankfully), but I certainly wouldn't mind a roommate if the opportunity presented itself. It would definitely help with the constant increase in rent prices.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,720,772 times
Quote:

The West Valley? Dude, are you serious? I can tell you haven't lived in Phoenix for very long, LOL.

The West Valley of Phoenix is extremely hot, very flat, very monotonous and mostly low-income. You have your ghetto, crime-ridden areas such as Maryvale Village, your mediocre, forgettable working-class areas such as Glendale and Peoria, and your sleepy retirement communities such as El Mirage and Sun City. The entire area is littered with vacant stucco houses and storefronts and miserable, surly residents.

Honestly, I would never argue that the West Valley is a better alternative to Orange County -- or anywhere more expensive, for that matter -- because rents are lower. I'm not sure if you've ever even spent any time in and around the West Valley, but if you can't tell, it's cheaper for a reason.

The West Valley is not only the hottest urban area in Arizona, but in all of North America. At least Paradise Valley and North Scottsdale cool off a tiny bit at nighttime.

The scenery out there is also pretty ugly, too. The mountain vistas are certainly prettier and more dramatic on the east side of town.

The worst part about the West Valley is you can't even tell your house apart from your neighbor's house. Since people in that part of town are often low-income, they usually can't afford to landscape their properties to the point where their front yards differentiate their home from the next.

Also, there are very few major employers in and around the West Valley. If you don't work in the healthcare field, you're most likely working in a service job that pays $10.00, if you're lucky. This is very apparent in the lack of sophistication one can observe in West Valley residents.

Talk about the last friggin' place on earth.

Oh, yeah -- in Phoenix, if you chose to live in a halfway decent part of town (e.g., Scottsdale, Gilbert, etc.), you're facing high housing costs, especially relative to salaries (very low), and/or a gnarly commute.

Old 04-12-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Is this "paradise tax" really worth the 300+/mo premium when the beaches are visited less than once a month?
Good question.

If rents are too high, why don't people leave?

Old 04-12-2017, 04:39 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
Quote:

Someone who aids homeless getting shelter told me in OC you need to make 60k a year to be able to live alone. I agree with you 100% about AZ. I'm plan on moving to Tucson and coming back here on wknds

Last edited by Finper; 04-12-2017 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County