Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 5,868 times

Advertisements

I am curious as to what other problems related to cola is caused by liberal policies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 PM

20 posts, read 41,285 times
Lightbulb Weather & Amenities Are Good — but not everything is Golden in the Golden State

Here's an interesting (and recent) article about how California is shifting demographically. In the years to come, California is anticipated to be comprised of an increasingly elderly population (deaths outpacing births).

Per the article, "Migration from other states and countries will be the only thing generating state population growth":

California's population is getting old | The Sacramento Bee

As for why people are moving out of California, I would rank it as follows:

1) Home prices are largely back to pre-Recession bubble levels. For a 1940s/1950s home of 800-1,300 SQ FT in the less affluent parts of the OC/LA, homebuyers can expect to pay about ~$500K. (This is to live in the likes of La Habra or Stanton as opposed to Costa Mesa or Irvine.)

2) A high percentage of the population, whether renter or owner, living paycheck-to-paycheck.

3) High rents. To live close to job centers in OC/LA, renting is on par with mortgage costs elsewhere in the country. The average renter has a net worth of only about ~$5,000 vs. ~$200K for a homeowner.

4) Traffic congestion. Rush hour is increasingly any and all daylight hours in SF/LA/OC. There are a lot of posts on this board over time cautioning against prospective SoCal homebuyers who are considering a commute into LA/OC from the Northern LA County communities of Lancaster and Palmdale and, similarly, the outermost high desert regions of the Inland Empire (San Bernardino County, Victorville, Barstow). Many are quick to point out that commute times, cost of commuting and stress aren't worth it. What's less appreciated is that one can live more centrally in an OC/LA suburb and commute elsewhere in that same OC or LA county area and, despite better proximity, as few as 25 miles can take ~1.5-2 hours *each way*.

5) Subpar mass transit in SoCal. Type in just about any address from the IE into LA proper into Google maps and select public transit (Metrolink, Amtrak) as the option and one's commute can take 4-6 hours each way depending on number of transfers. This is because Southern California, unlike other leading cities, has not invested in public transit (bullet trains or otherwise). When mass transit projects to connect distant regions are proposed, it entails overtaking private land (eminent domain) and/or residents oppose it because they don't want these transportation projects running through their own backyards. Consequently, the chance that Southern California will ever modernize or "go green" where high-speed transportation is concerned is slim. For its size and economic influence within the State and country, the SoCal region is one of the most poorly planned areas in the world. As bad as it is to commute ~1-2 hours each way by freeway, it's often faster than using public transit, especially over greater distances wherein cobbling together a public transit route to/from work may require the use of a car, a train and a bus. And that's why "car culture" continues to predominate despite the fact that SoCal has the reputation for the worst traffic in the nation: Los Angeles area can claim the worst traffic in America. Again - LA Times

6) High crime and homelessness. Of particular concern is the crime associated with gangs and the drug trade they facilitate. California's proximity to drugs flooding over the border through Mexico means that even million-dollar homes are often only a few miles removed from very shady areas. And sadly, California also has the distinction of being the "homeless capitol" (especially in LA). Even in affluent areas such as Beverly Hills and Santa Monica, you're just a few blocks removed from homeless encampments. For those who want a safe community from one end of a city to the other, as opposed to enclaves that are bordered on all sides by crime and/or homelessness, California's "job central" areas are rarely ideal. (Which, despite proximity to jobs, makes it hard to justify the high cost of SF/LA/OC real estate.)

7) Intergenerational poverty. Relocating isn't cheap. Leaving SF/LA/OC takes a job offer elsewhere in the country/State and/or money to pick up and leave for greener pastures. For the impoverished, as many in urban areas are, the problem of being "trapped in place" is all too real (poor social mobility). Ironically, the better the economy becomes the more the cost of living tends to go up — making it all the more difficult for the poor scrape together enough to relocate. This helps explain why there is an odd juxtaposition of the wealthy in LA/OC/SF not far removed, geographically, from welfare recipients. The middle class and wealthy are more likely to live in the suburbs and commute a greater distance to/from work, whereas the intergenerational poor in LA, SF and OC are more likely to live in proximity to where the "good jobs" are — and yet being centrally located doesn't equate to better access/opportunity for low income populations (although I should add that this trend is changing as more low-income earners are priced out of LA/OC into the IE). By in large, the middle class is drying up leaving behind increasingly stratified and segregated communities. This isn't exclusively a California problem, however. It is illustrative of the challenges facing many aging/sprawling areas.

8) High risk of earthquakes. Natural disasters are a fact of life anywhere in the country. But the risk of California's long-overdue "big one" are well known to NorCal and SoCal residents. Although this is probably one of the lesser reasons people relocate out of state, the threat of a mega quake can't be counted out as a contributing factor. A big earthquake in SF or LA would leave millions either injured or homeless, kill tens of thousands and generate billions of dollars in property damage (not the least of which may include critical infrastructure such as the California aqueduct, which would mean prolonged water shortages and a mass exodus from the region following such an event). There is also the little-discussed reality that many of California's nuclear power plants, which are 30+ years old, have been built on faults not previously known (or known to be active), which could precipitate another Fukushima-like disaster. All of which is to say, the reality of what may follow a mega quake is too terrifying to contemplate. But chances are, those who do give it any serious thought also think seriously about moving away.

Last edited by NewsView; 03-21-2017 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 03-21-2017, 07:33 PM

10,292 posts, read 8,452,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forzalugano View Post
Not all, some love the new life with lower crime rates less traffic etc etc.

What I have seen is some go out of state, live a better life save and invest vs spending all their money on a mortgage like Californians do. Not living paycheck to paycheck, less stress = a longer life in most cases.

Example: Had a client (I am a Broker) moved out of CA State paid cash for a home outside Boise. Uses all the extra money and invested in rentals that cash flow much better than any home in California would and is now looking to purchase an Ocean view vacation home in California just to visit family, again all Cash. They are doing great financially, much better than they could ever do in CA putting all their eggs in the basket of a mortgage payment. They did this in a short time too, 6-7 years, in CA many in OC struggle to pay the mortgage, I was a Loan Officer for a Orange County Bank and I can attest most borrowers maxing out on their debt to income in OC, that's no way to live.

Not to mention some area like Austin, Bend and Boise see percentage increases in home values about on par with California cities according to Zillow, they are growing like hotcakes.
I can relate. I had a business that was starting to fail ( the same business type is having a hard time all over the country) so without income Ca is pretty tough. I lived in Pleasanton which wasn't cheap by any means.
I sold my real estate, moved to a cheaper place (Georgia) and used the money to buy rentals all cash.
I now make more money than I did with my business when it was at it's optimum.
Also I don't have to work anymore because of the cash flow. I can now afford to come back to Ca and I've only been gone about 2 years. I've visited Ca several times so I was able to compare lifestyles and costs. At this point for my needs, moving back to Ca is probably not going to happen. Yes I miss the weather, but the extra money I keep here in Ga makes it worth sacrificing. I am enjoying my life and the money saved is funding nice cars and world travel.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:59 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,061,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Why some people are fleeing Southern California - The Orange County Register

A few reasons mentioned:
-Cost/affordability
-Can cash out
-Traffic
-QOL
-Forcing parents to vaccinate

We left for all except for the second reason, and we don't regret it a bit. One other huge reason we left was the weather because we prefer cold and love having winters. Orange County weather is not desirable to everyone.

Last edited by psr13; 03-21-2017 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,512,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesblazen View Post
Thousands of former Californians in Oregon. Most regret the move. They are not welcomed by locals who despise Californians. Most of all they can't tolerate the nasty weather. So Cal's weather is the best in the nation. Yes it's expensive. That means you have to be motivated and intelligent to survive. Lots of places are cheap. All for a reason. The road out of So Cal is a 1 way street. Once you leave, you'll likely never be able to afford coming back.
I noticed that all of my friends who were basically misfits in high school and college now live in Oregon. I don't think it's a coincidence.

They consistently moaned and complained about So Cal on their facebook posts. Now they're moaning and complaining about Eugene and Portland. I'm glad they're Oregon's "problem" now

Old 03-21-2017, 09:20 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,512,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Why some people are fleeing Southern California - The Orange County Register

A few reasons mentioned:
-Cost/affordability
-Can cash out
-Traffic
-QOL
-Forcing parents to vaccinate
Right, because ...you know...God Forbid they not think about themselves and themselves only

Instead of scientists and medical professionals, they'd rather listen to vapid nutjobs like this:

As far as I'm concerned, let Arizona and Texas have em' !

Old 03-22-2017, 10:25 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,943,666 times
Damn, I'd have an Autism kid with young Jenny McCarthy.

Old 03-24-2017, 08:31 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,237,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Damn, I'd have an Autism kid with young Jenny McCarthy.

Lots of guys tried. Only a few succeeded.

Old 03-24-2017, 12:28 PM

745 posts, read 1,276,299 times
Kind of thinking this thread jumped the shark.

Old 03-25-2017, 01:44 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,789,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
I noticed that all of my friends who were basically misfits in high school and college now live in Oregon. I don't think it's a coincidence.

They consistently moaned and complained about So Cal on their facebook posts. Now they're moaning and complaining about Eugene and Portland. I'm glad they're Oregon's "problem" now
As an Oregon resident I can attest to this. We tend to attract people who don't want to participate in the lifestyle of working full time and being successful at life without abusing drugs and alcohol. Western Oregon is soaking up the people who want to live in the Bay Area but can't afford it. So not just Californians, but wannabe Californians. Its where young people go to retire. Its cheaper here if you don't make a lot of money, but our "progressive" tax system is just as bad as California for those who work a lot.

It's at the college level too, our public universities have many Californian students who couldn't get into a CSU school much less a UC.

This is changing though because the California transplants have voted in similar systems to the one they left behind so we are dealing with an anti development movement and corresponding housing shortage. Prices are climbing rapidly. Ironic that this is giving me the equity I need to escape here and move to SoCal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County