Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 07:24 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lallo View Post
So we just got outbid on a home today. Blessing in disguise? Maybe, maybe not. We loved the home but weren't willing to pay 20k more than any other home on the block. House received 7 offers. Oh well, on to the next. Keep a level head and in the end, one must decide when buying makes sense for them. Don't let emotions get in the way of your peace of mind and your bank acct.

When I was looking I was outbid in some cases and in others the house prices were well over our "were not going over x amount regardless how much we like it". We did go over "this is the target price I like" but we were writhin the I won't go over this price. We eventually found a house we loved and bought.
Hope you find something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatedcu View Post
Renting always comes out ahead because a house is general a poor investment.
No. It's really not. But keep telling yourself that.

My last house I refi'ed. This allowed me to start saving money every year instead of giving it to the bank. 14 years 5k a year additional deposit added and compounded at 5% That money was allocated to a new house purchase. In the time that I lived there the rent for a comparable dwelling kept going up. Right now if I rented that property I would be paying twice what would be my house payment. And have nothing to show for it

I would need to double maybe even triple or quadruple my income in 14 years to be able to keep up to the rising rent and save money for a property down payment and still invest in a account to get the value gains that my former home has gotten and the advantages of turning it into a current rental for cash flow

A house can be a bad investment if you're stupid with finances.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 05-14-2017 at 08:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 10:08 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
When I was looking I was outbid in some cases and in others the house prices were well over our "were not going over x amount regardless how much we like it". We did go over "this is the target price I like" but we were writhin the I won't go over this price. We eventually found a house we loved and bought.
Hope you find something.

No. It's really not. But keep telling yourself that.

My last house I refi'ed. This allowed me to start saving money every year instead of giving it to the bank. 14 years 5k a year additional deposit added and compounded at 5% That money was allocated to a new house purchase. In the time that I lived there the rent for a comparable dwelling kept going up. Right now if I rented that property I would be paying twice what would be my house payment. And have nothing to show for it

I would need to double maybe even triple or quadruple my income in 14 years to be able to keep up to the rising rent and save money for a property down payment and still invest in a account to get the value gains that my former home has gotten and the advantages of turning it into a current rental for cash flow

A house can be a bad investment if you're stupid with finances
Or if you buy at or near a peak with an intention to flip it short-term.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:34 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Or if you buy at or near a peak with an intention to flip it short-term.
Yeah that too. Just any type of bad financial move can be detrimental and considered a "bad" home purchase

Old 05-14-2017, 05:48 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Yeah that too. Just any type of bad financial move can be detrimental and considered a "bad" home purchase
Soooo true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County