Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2015, 06:29 PM

5 posts, read 8,078 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here!

I'm working between competing job offers in Ohio and OC. The company is in Santa Ana, but since everyone I interviewed with advised me to live in Irvine, I've been looking at that city. To be completely honest, I was really wondering how much $70K salary in Ohio compares to a mid $90K salary in Irvine for a family of 3. I'd be renting initially, possibly thinking about buying a few years later. Are they comparable, or put differently, is it worth it?
What does one gain or lose moving from one place to the other? Also, in addition to Irvine, are there other places that I should consider moving to? My main concerns in picking a place are really just safety and good schools for the time being. Finally, I was wondering if people could give me some hard numbers on their general living costs, or could put numbers to costs for someone in my situation. How much would you expect a family of 3 to spend on groceries, utilities, and any other related costs?

Are there other questions I've missed here that should be answered? If you could do so that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2015, 08:08 PM

35 posts, read 43,684 times
Ohio, LOL

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 PM

9,810 posts, read 11,051,276 times
You can certainly survive on that salary but you will have to be pretty frugal and very careful with your spending if you plan to buy in the future.

You could afford to rent in Irvine, but in order to stay in a safe area with decent schools and in a place where you could save some money while staying close to Santa Ana, you may also want to consider renting in a place like Tustin or Orange. Parts of Santa Ana and Anaheim are nice too, but there are concerns with the school districts especially in the former.

Old 01-09-2015, 12:46 AM

2,821 posts, read 3,513,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thelonew0lf View Post
Hello, everyone. Long time reader, first time poster here!

I'm working between competing job offers in Ohio and OC. The company is in Santa Ana, but since everyone I interviewed with advised me to live in Irvine, I've been looking at that city. To be completely honest, I was really wondering how much $70K salary in Ohio compares to a mid $90K salary in Irvine for a family of 3. I'd be renting initially, possibly thinking about buying a few years later. Are they comparable, or put differently, is it worth it?
What does one gain or lose moving from one place to the other? Also, in addition to Irvine, are there other places that I should consider moving to? My main concerns in picking a place are really just safety and good schools for the time being. Finally, I was wondering if people could give me some hard numbers on their general living costs, or could put numbers to costs for someone in my situation. How much would you expect a family of 3 to spend on groceries, utilities, and any other related costs?

Are there other questions I've missed here that should be answered? If you could do so that would be great.

Thanks in advance for your time!
Lets put it this way. Orange County, CA is the 3rd most expensive area in the country. Irvine is one of the most expensive cities in OC. EVERYTHING will be more expensive than it is in Ohio, and I do mean EVERYTHING. Don't do it.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:17 AM

115 posts, read 190,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell75 View Post
Lets put it this way. Orange County, CA is the 3rd most expensive area in the country. Irvine is one of the most expensive cities in OC. EVERYTHING will be more expensive than it is in Ohio, and I do mean EVERYTHING. Don't do it.
My wife's is originally from Ohio and I have been there many times. Yes, it is more expensive here, but the quality of life is also that much greater. You certainly can afford Huntington Beach on that salary and receive the benefits of good schools and a safe community.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:38 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,632,584 times
You could make it in OC on that income, but you would have to penny-pinch.

For starters, don't live in Irvine, or South County (Aliso Viejo, Laguna Beach, Mission Viejo, Lake Forest, Laguna Niguel, Rancho Santa Margarita, Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano and Ladera Ranch) because most of those places are too costly for a family of three to live comfortably on your budget. It's not impossible, and plenty of people live that way, but things would be very tight. As Fast Cat suggested, look at Huntington Beach; as well as other points north.

OC is expensive, but the weather is great and there are tons of free outdoors activities (beach, hiking, biking, parks, community gatherings, etc.) which your family can enjoy.

Also, shop at the big box stores, like Costco, and cook from scratch.

These links might help in terms of figuring out actual expenses:
Living Wage Calculator - Living Wage Calculation for Orange County, California

This one is very dated (2011), but it may help to put the changing COL in a bit of perspective as you plan for the future:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ee-orange.html

A bit more recent:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...ectations.html

Old 01-09-2015, 10:00 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,632,584 times
This is from 12/10 (extremely dated), but the poster was making 90K and offered real-life details on his COL:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/orang...l#post17061819

Old 01-09-2015, 10:49 AM

389 posts, read 911,701 times
I would say your salary would be enough to rent here in CA, but it would be difficult to think about buying in the near future on that salary (unless you had a ton of savings set aside for this). On the other hand, your salary in OH should be sufficient to rent or buy in OH.

Question for the OP: where is your family and your spouse's family? Many people are drawn to this warmer climate (especially coming from a part of the climate that experiences a true cold, snowy winter), but do think about your extended families.

Old 01-09-2015, 01:37 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,938,775 times
I spent a lot of time in Ohio since, I went to college in WV and art School in Pittsburgh.

I would move to CA.
As many people have suggested, look at living in Huntington Beach, probably the best bang for your buck.

You may be able to find an older, smaller home to rent for about $2700. Or look into buying a condo (and there are still deals out there).

Food prices are a bit cheaper here.
Heating costs are are almost non-existent
Gas is more expensive
Housing is way more expensive

Old 01-09-2015, 06:10 PM

108 posts, read 124,396 times
Wait a minute…

As an 43 year old OC Native, Newport, let's be real blunt, don't do it!! Nothing at that salary will be rewarding, nothing!!
HB is no longer cheap. You'll have to live East of the 405 frwy to get a decent price, and that's just the tip of a costly iceberg.

Here is the real problem with the greatest county in Southern California… too many people moved in and there is a ton of money within the communities.

Even cities such as Corona, Yorba Linda, Anaheim, and Garden Grove have become expensive. All requiring a commute to Irvine. Its a bad move unless you have the opportunity to get a 30% increase in salary from your employees over a two year span.

Look, it's doable, but not smart! Not with kids…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County