Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 09:02 PM

16 posts, read 19,440 times

Advertisements

Please tell me all of the shocking Home Owners Association rules you have encountered while living in Orange County. I would most likely be living in an apartment then buying a condo in Irvine but other areas are a possibility. I read an HOA having an issue with someone playing ping pong in their garage with the door open.

I lived in San Diego for a few years before moving back to the east coast. My significant other used to change his own oil and work on his car in the different apartments we lived in back east. In San Diego, a neighbor complained and a lady from the rental office said he wasn't allowed and it was in the lease.

I found this on a Irvine site: Are there any laws governing use of leaf blowers?
Irvine Municipal code section 6-8-205.C.2C requires leaf blowers to be tested and certified to be below 70 decibels before they can be used within the City. Certified blowers are restricted from use from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekdays and 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturdays. Leaf blowers are not allowed to operate at any time on Sundays. Call 949-724-6326 to register and certify leaf blowers for use or to report companies using leaf blowers in violation.

This law is crazy to me since I own a house now but I can understand it for out there... I won't be owning a house or be doing yard work if we move back to CA anyway.

Motorcycles! Anyone have an issue of noise complaints? My S.O. Rides a loud motorcycle. Will the apartments, condos, hoa, etc have a problem with the noise. He will most likely be riding it to and from work. So waking people up earlier than they'd like might be an issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 09:31 PM

14,184 posts, read 11,431,159 times
Honestly, I think it depends less on the specific rules of the HOA and more on the kind of neighbors you have. We lucked in to very chill neighbors who just about never complain about anything. We're not the complaining type either. Strictly speaking, you're not supposed to have an RV parked on the street overnight, but one family occasionally brings their RV over for one night while they're getting ready for a trip, and no one has ever reported them. I don't know about noise rules, but another neighbor used to fire up his motorcycle at 6:30 AM from time to time, and again, it was never a big deal.

I've never heard of not being allowed to have the garage door open. My son spends most of his free time playing with neighbor kids in their open garages.

BUT my friends in Aliso Viejo were reported for keeping their car on the driveway instead of in the garage (which was full of their mother's furniture, as she was temporarily staying with them). A car in AV can only be parked on the driveway if there is already a car in the garage. Some busybody, who had obviously been snooping, called the HOA on them.

I'm not sure how you'd find all this out before the fact, though.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:33 PM

101 posts, read 136,632 times
I've never had a noise issue with my bikes. I'm sure someone will have a horror story but bikes seem to be the thing people just shrug off here. I'm respectful though by not letting it warm up for long in the morning and just creeping out of the complex.

For the most part everything is complex specific. Some places are fine unless people complain others will be all in your business no matter what.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:03 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,630,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Honestly, I think it depends less on the specific rules of the HOA and more on the kind of neighbors you have. We lucked in to very chill neighbors who just about never complain about anything. We're not the complaining type either. Strictly speaking, you're not supposed to have an RV parked on the street overnight, but one family occasionally brings their RV over for one night while they're getting ready for a trip, and no one has ever reported them. I don't know about noise rules, but another neighbor used to fire up his motorcycle at 6:30 AM from time to time, and again, it was never a big deal.

I've never heard of not being allowed to have the garage door open. My son spends most of his free time playing with neighbor kids in their open garages.

BUT my friends in Aliso Viejo were reported for keeping their car on the driveway instead of in the garage (which was full of their mother's furniture, as she was temporarily staying with them). A car in AV can only be parked on the driveway if there is already a car in the garage. Some busybody, who had obviously been snooping, called the HOA on them.

I'm not sure how you'd find all this out before the fact, though.
Actually, the city-wide HOA in Aliso Viejo, the Aliso Viejo Community Association, isn't involved in matters like that. They primarily focus on the maintenance of parks & greenspaces, architecture, and community events. They also provide considerable input into environmental issues and future planning for the city, like the proposed redevelopment of Town Center, which is actually privately owned.
Aliso Viejo Community Association

Individual neighborhood HOAs draw up their own rules regarding parking, garage doors, etc.

The AVCA is more concerned about making sure that everything goes well for tomorrow's outdoor concert featuring the Rock Hard Blues Band, and with next week's outdoor movie of Finding Dory, than they are about some individual's garage door.

The City of Aliso Viejo, not an HOA, has rules severely limiting street parking outside of developments, and I'm very glad about that.

Last edited by pacific2; 07-22-2017 at 11:33 PM..

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnettie View Post
Please tell me all of the shocking Home Owners Association rules you have encountered while living in Orange County. I would most likely be living in an apartment then buying a condo in Irvine but other areas are a possibility. I read an HOA having an issue with someone playing ping pong in their garage with the door open.

I lived in San Diego for a few years before moving back to the east coast. My significant other used to change his own oil and work on his car in the different apartments we lived in back east. In San Diego, a neighbor complained and a lady from the rental office said he wasn't allowed and it was in the lease.

I found this on a Irvine site: Are there any laws governing use of leaf blowers?
Irvine Municipal code section 6-8-205.C.2C requires leaf blowers to be tested and certified to be below 70 decibels before they can be used within the City. Certified blowers are restricted from use from 5 p.m. to 8 a.m. on weekdays and 5 p.m. to 9 a.m. on Saturdays. Leaf blowers are not allowed to operate at any time on Sundays. Call 949-724-6326 to register and certify leaf blowers for use or to report companies using leaf blowers in violation.

This law is crazy to me since I own a house now but I can understand it for out there... I won't be owning a house or be doing yard work if we move back to CA anyway.

Motorcycles! Anyone have an issue of noise complaints? My S.O. Rides a loud motorcycle. Will the apartments, condos, hoa, etc have a problem with the noise. He will most likely be riding it to and from work. So waking people up earlier than they'd like might be an issue?
It depends upon the apartment or condo; and also, upon whether or not any individual is ticked-off by the noise.

Waking people up really early could be an issue anyplace, HOA community, or not. There are noise ordinances.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
Actually, the city-wide HOA in Aliso Viejo, the Aliso Viejo Community Association, isn't involved in matters like that. They primarily focus on the maintenance of parks & greenspaces, architecture, and community events. They also provide considerable input into environmental issues and future planning for the city, like the proposed redevelopment of Town Center, which is actually privately owned.

Individual neighborhood HOAs draw up their own rules regarding parking, garage doors, etc.

The AVCA is more concerned about making sure that everything goes well for tomorrow's outdoor concert featuring the Rock Hard Blues Band, and with next week's outdoor movie of Finding Dory, than they are about some individual's garage door.

The City of Aliso Viejo, not an HOA, has rules severely limiting street parking outside of developments, and I'm very glad about that.
That should be Aug 4th, not next week, since I know that everyone is waiting with baited breath for it to start.

Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 AM

26,574 posts, read 26,433,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazelnettie View Post
I read an HOA having an issue with someone playing ping pong in their garage with the door open.
There are HOAs that require the owner to keep his garage door closed, and those in which it doesn't matter. That rule is mostly about appearance. You can see what condo complexes look like that allow garage doors open at any time, or allow cars to be parked in the driveway. Really messy. If you've lived in a house for a long time, though, that rule is hard to get used to.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:

Yes--I don't live in AV, and only know what the friends told me. I probably got some details wrong. They were pretty miffed, though, as plenty of people park on their driveway. You'd have to be a real crank to notice and care that someone didn't ALSO have a car in the garage.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:

Yes--I don't live in AV, and only know what the friends told me. I probably got some details wrong. They were pretty miffed, though, as plenty of people park on their driveway. You'd have to be a real crank to notice and care that someone didn't ALSO have a car in the garage.

Personally I'm glad that people aren't allowed to leave old cars on the lawn and things like that, but no open garage doors or cars on driveways gives a neighborhood a totally sterile, unlived-in look that I find creepy.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:23 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,650,485 times
I still see leaf blowers in Irvine. I think the grass cutters are too lazy to rake them up. That's one of my husband's pet peeves. It's dirty when they are doing it. Not good for the environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County