Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:09 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times

Advertisements

and it looks like instead of moving to LA as we had planned (where we moved from 10 years ago), we are now strongly looking at a move to OC. DH has been told he can transfer to the Irvine office of his job and my oldest son is planning to go to college nearby and has already met with the admissions, etc... and although he isn't fully accepted, admissions didn't think it would be an issue. Middle child will probably attend Community College for a year or two, we aren't sure. He is a senior this year, which is a huge reason we aren't moving now.

Which just leaves youngest child, who will be a 9th grader in 2018. I know Irvine schools are rated decently.....does anyone have any strong preferences for one over the other Or any specific insight? This particular child is very strong academically and socially, so I am not worried about how he will do. His current school is raked in the 250s by US New and World Report, so he is already in a very good school. Nearby school to Irvine info would be welcomed as well, we aren't sure exact location yet, but he is my biggest concern. We don't want to move him after he starts high school, so that is tricky.

I will be looking for a job. That is my biggest worry, but I will be working on that this school year and trying to figure out what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 10:54 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
There are other schools rated as good as Irvine schools and the COL isn't as high as Irvine.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There are other schools rated as good as Irvine schools and the COL isn't as high as Irvine.
Can you link some of them?

I am looking at this:

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...nge-county-ca/

Out of the top 5, two are in Irvine, one is over 20 miles away, one is a specialty magnet type school, and the other is 15 miles away and in a higher cost area.

Last edited by DawnW; 08-12-2017 at 08:57 PM..

Old 08-12-2017, 09:20 PM

I was going to say Fountan Valley HS and Huntington Beach HS. We have a rental in FV and whenever one comes up for rent I get families who want their kids in those schools. And theire very insistent about wanting the rental. Very in demand. Also for Garden Grove school district Westminster HS and LA Quinta HS are highly rated too. All those cities have a lower COL than Irvine.
We have rentals in those surrounding areas. Right now I have one coming up vacant and a comparable in Irvine runs about 500 a month more.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:20 AM

We have an added issue with getting my son to Laguna each day. He doesn't drive (he has Asperger's) and there is public transportation he could walk to from where we are looking at living to the Metro and get to school (college) on his own that way. The areas you are mentioning could be more challenging for that.

I know we looked at houses to BUY in Mission Viejo and Aliso Viejo, and that still might be a possibility, (we didn't go inside the houses with a realtor, we just looked up homes in our price range and drove around a bit to see the area and a few of those particular houses), but the schools aren't AS highly rated. Some of them would still probably be ok.

I will look into transportation from the areas you mention though.

How would the 17 mile drive from Garden Grove to the Irvine Spectrum center be everyday? It is 17 miles on google maps. DH would have to work pretty normal hours.....8-6 or so, so he can't avoid heavy traffic times.

Thank you

Old 08-13-2017, 08:28 AM

It's really not that bad. He will have some slowdown around 55 north/south and JW airport, but he's going against traffic which is heading into LA. On the way home he can get off on Harbor and shoot up north into Westminster or Garden Grove or cut across and take streets into Fountain Valley or HB.
The reason you want to get off at Harbor is because inexplicably the freeway gets slow as a snail after that heading into HB and to the 605. Not all the time but it's regular.
They are also widening the 405 north from 73 to 605 so that's gonna be a big pile of crap for a while too. That's going to be a big factor.

However he can get to Irvine by taking the 22 East to 5 south and get off at Jamboree or Irvine center drive too. In fact if you move to Westminster or Garden grove that will be a closer freeway than 405. He can actually take any big street running east west to hit the 5 freeway south. He has a lot of options.

Once he gets used to it he will find all sorts of little cut through streets. I used to work in Mission Viejo for a client so I'm familiar with the drive.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 08-13-2017 at 08:36 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 09:01 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,688,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
We have an added issue with getting my son to Laguna each day. He doesn't drive (he has Asperger's) and there is public transportation he could walk to from where we are looking at living to the Metro and get to school (college) on his own that way. The areas you are mentioning could be more challenging for that.

I know we looked at houses to BUY in Mission Viejo and Aliso Viejo, and that still might be a possibility, (we didn't go inside the houses with a realtor, we just looked up homes in our price range and drove around a bit to see the area and a few of those particular houses), but the schools aren't AS highly rated. Some of them would still probably be ok.

How would the 17 mile drive from Garden Grove to the Irvine Spectrum center be everyday? It is 17 miles on google maps. DH would have to work pretty normal hours.....8-6 or so, so he can't avoid heavy traffic times.

Thank you
Aliso Viejo is tiny with only one high school, Aliso Niguel High. It's shared with most of Laguna Niguel. You can check with your realtor to see which Aliso Viejo homes are zoned for the Laguna Beach School District.

I don't think there is any public transportation down to Laguna Beach, but I imagine you would probably be offered an opportunity to pay to have your son ride a school bus. The same is true, I believe, within AV.

Last edited by pacific2; 08-13-2017 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-13-2017, 09:44 AM

298 posts, read 628,185 times
The only first hand experience we have had is with Tesoro High School. I think it has a good balance between strong academics and positive social experience. I can't say enough great things about this school. We have moved on from the South OC area due to job opportunities but I truly miss the area. After sending 2 kids through Tesoro HS we heard good and bad about the different schools in the area. If it were me and working in Irvine I would look at the areas south. Irvine schools are very highly rated academically but many complain about the social setting, again just hearsay, but we heard it a lot. Personal friends kids attended Beckman and were not happy at all. Beckman is technically in Tustins School District although it is located in Irvine. South OC is very family oriented and that sounds like what you're looking for. Good luck with your move.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:47 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:
Can you link some of them?

I am looking at this:

https://www.niche.com/k12/search/bes...nge-county-ca/

Out of the top 5, two are in Irvine, one is over 20 miles away, one is a specialty magnet type school, and the other is 15 miles away and in a higher cost area.
My kid still argues with people from Northwood High which is a better high school in Irvine. She went to University High.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:

Thank you
I wouldn't live in Garden Grove nor Westminster. However, public schools in Irvine has no transportation. This is the problem we faced when our kids were younger. So we had to live nearer to the school or near walking distance to bus stop. My husband dropped them in the morning. But it made participation to afterschool activities difficult. I did get to work at home and did fair amount of picking them up, but when a I had to travel, they had to rely on bus.
But I think some homes with address in Irvine but actually zoned in to Tustin schools. Houses in Irvine hold up value better I think. But Beckman High school is still very good.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 08-13-2017 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County