U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2017, 11:08 AM

5,083 posts, read 6,631,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
I plan to explore when I go out there in a couple weeks. Would just like to know if there are any areas to avoid. And my employer would be right on the Bella Terra, in the office complex.
There are some posters who have lived in HB for a longtime. Hopefully, they will chime in to help with that. I'm sure they probably also know of back routes and optimal travel times to help reduce the traffic pain.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM

19,796 posts, read 21,880,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnugget View Post
Thanks all! If living in HB is the way to go. What are good areas in HB to live for us.
There is a area called Slater Slums. It's a more working class "poor" area. It's not the projects it's just a more meh area. I wouldn't have a issue walking there at night. HB has a lot of bro type dudes. Typical wannabe tough guys. HB cops are known to be A-holes.

If you want to stay in HB go find Brookhurst street on a map and from Mc Fadden all the way to PCH you're good to go. Not so sure about apartment living imo it's typical apartment living. Go west from Brookhurst and you're good to Magnolia down to PCH. If you're renting a house you'll be in the 3-3400 range. A townhouse will run 25-3000 apartments 18-2500.
I suggest you do come in and get a feel for the land.

I have rentals in those areas, and prices are going up. So depending on when you plan on moving the prices may be higher. Beginning if summer you're going to be paying top dollar. Fall/winter you have a little negotiating power. Or you may not have any negotiating room depending on demand. For example right now I have a rental vacant. I'm more willing to negotiate (up to a point) if the tenant has the requirements I'm looking for. I turned away most applicants for bad credit. The ones that had good credit, one took forever to give me paperwork and after going back and forth with missing info and them telling me I'm asking for too much info I told them thank you good bye, one started to play the let me see how much more I can negotiate out of him after some pretty big concessions on my part, another I'm waiting to see if they are taking it (I really like these applicants and I hope I get them ) and another I'm not sure if I wanna deal with as they want to bring more roommates in at a later date (which I'm not happy about but I can negotiate that with a month to month. If it becomes a headache I'll just end tenancy and move on)
Landlords want good tenants also. If I just wanted to throw a breathing body in the place it would of been gone two days later. I'm not willing to rent to people with bad credit or just throw bodies in there to get my money.

East of Brookhurst you're good to Edinger. Past that you're going into Santa Ana and Costa Mesa. Stay out of northeast mile square park. West and south of there you're good. North youre good as you go into Westminster up to maybe Westminster ave. north Westminster is ok if you're borderung HB or Seal Beach naval base. Some of the areas are hit and miss. Westminster bordering FV or HB is good. The central/north area is a bit more rough. But Westminster isn't bad.

Truthfully a good area with great schools is Fountain Valley. That city is very safe. It's boring as hell but it's safe.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 09-24-2017 at 11:29 AM..

Old 09-24-2017, 12:08 PM

5,083 posts, read 6,631,033 times
Here's an interesting sunset aerial view of Aliso. As you can see, although we have 21 parks, housing is pretty dense (50k pop in 7.47 sq mi) and cookie-cutter. Being clumped together allows more room for parks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS4xmHtpPLU

Old 09-25-2017, 06:51 AM

546 posts, read 657,503 times
One other question - if we move, my wife will probably be a SAHM at first but she would probably like to go back to work to teach. I know the conditions for teaching aren't ideal when we were first looking at moving to CA.

Has this changed for the better or worst? Are there jobs in public school for teachers there? I guess this could all change in a couple of years when she starts looking for a job.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:53 PM

19,796 posts, read 21,880,832 times
There are plenty of school districts she can apply at. Along with private schools

Old 09-28-2017, 09:03 AM

546 posts, read 657,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
There is a area called Slater Slums. It's a more working class "poor" area. It's not the projects it's just a more meh area. I wouldn't have a issue walking there at night. HB has a lot of bro type dudes. Typical wannabe tough guys. HB cops are known to be A-holes.

If you want to stay in HB go find Brookhurst street on a map and from Mc Fadden all the way to PCH you're good to go. Not so sure about apartment living imo it's typical apartment living. Go west from Brookhurst and you're good to Magnolia down to PCH. If you're renting a house you'll be in the 3-3400 range. A townhouse will run 25-3000 apartments 18-2500.
I suggest you do come in and get a feel for the land.

I have rentals in those areas, and prices are going up. So depending on when you plan on moving the prices may be higher. Beginning if summer you're going to be paying top dollar. Fall/winter you have a little negotiating power. Or you may not have any negotiating room depending on demand. For example right now I have a rental vacant. I'm more willing to negotiate (up to a point) if the tenant has the requirements I'm looking for. I turned away most applicants for bad credit. The ones that had good credit, one took forever to give me paperwork and after going back and forth with missing info and them telling me I'm asking for too much info I told them thank you good bye, one started to play the let me see how much more I can negotiate out of him after some pretty big concessions on my part, another I'm waiting to see if they are taking it (I really like these applicants and I hope I get them ) and another I'm not sure if I wanna deal with as they want to bring more roommates in at a later date (which I'm not happy about but I can negotiate that with a month to month. If it becomes a headache I'll just end tenancy and move on)
Landlords want good tenants also. If I just wanted to throw a breathing body in the place it would of been gone two days later. I'm not willing to rent to people with bad credit or just throw bodies in there to get my money.

East of Brookhurst you're good to Edinger. Past that you're going into Santa Ana and Costa Mesa. Stay out of northeast mile square park. West and south of there you're good. North youre good as you go into Westminster up to maybe Westminster ave. north Westminster is ok if you're borderung HB or Seal Beach naval base. Some of the areas are hit and miss. Westminster bordering FV or HB is good. The central/north area is a bit more rough. But Westminster isn't bad.

Truthfully a good area with great schools is Fountain Valley. That city is very safe. It's boring as hell but it's safe.

How is the Green Valley subdivision in Fountain Valley? I see a couple interesting rentals over there.

Old 09-28-2017, 11:54 PM

96 posts, read 125,450 times
I work in the same exact area you are talking about. There are alot of constructions happening around that area if you are looking for condos. There is also an apartment complex across the street next to Old World. Very safe area for you to temporarily be at to familiarize yourself to the area

Old 10-05-2017, 04:14 PM

22 posts, read 33,384 times
I lived in HB for many years. In my opinion, no area around there is unsafe. Trafficky, ugly, and uninspiring? yes. But not "unsafe". In fact VERY few areas of OC are unsafe. And what crime there is will mostly be small thefts.

I live in South County (Laguna Niguel) now, and it is so much better for traffic and outdoor activities. There are tons of trails running through every city. There is NO WAY I would commute to HB during normal business hours, though. It is absolutely brutal.

If you do decide South County is for you, north Lake Forest is the hidden gem. There are several lovely trail systems, and more in Foothill Ranch. Off of Bake or Lake Forest parkways is best, because you can use the long bypass ramps to get on the 5 skiring the "Y" traffic. You will still have heavy northbound traffic through Irvine, but it isn't nearly as bad as commuting from anywhere south of El Toro.

Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 PM

9,809 posts, read 8,135,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craezie View Post
I lived in HB for many years. In my opinion, no area around there is unsafe. Trafficky, ugly, and uninspiring? yes. But not "unsafe". In fact VERY few areas of OC are unsafe. And what crime there is will mostly be small thefts.

I live in South County (Laguna Niguel) now, and it is so much better for traffic and outdoor activities. There are tons of trails running through every city. There is NO WAY I would commute to HB during normal business hours, though. It is absolutely brutal.

If you do decide South County is for you, north Lake Forest is the hidden gem. There are several lovely trail systems, and more in Foothill Ranch. Off of Bake or Lake Forest parkways is best, because you can use the long bypass ramps to get on the 5 skiring the "Y" traffic. You will still have heavy northbound traffic through Irvine, but it isn't nearly as bad as commuting from anywhere south of El Toro.
We have so many people here already and I hardly want any more. Laguna Niguel is a horrible place with people with no teeth, gang drive by shootings and poor school performance.

On the other hand, Foothill Ranch is the perfect place for those looking for a nice place!

Old 10-05-2017, 06:43 PM

805 posts, read 1,339,048 times
People on this forum have mentioned a more Hispanic area in HB. I ran into it years ago when hubby and I were looking for something affordable to buy. I don't remember it being ghetto, but lots of multifamily units are there. We were looking at a condo/townhouse that was cute, but we weren't interested in the area. Bella Terra has a lot of older and brand new apts/condos too.

When buying in HB, some of the beautiful houses were built on former landfills, so just make sure the property isn't sinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or