Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2017, 06:54 AM

83 posts, read 169,555 times

Advertisements

It's the lure of the potential to make over 2 million dollars. That would allow me to not have to work for someone else again and I could setup my life the way id want.

Also, I can't disagree with the fact that the women are gorgeous. While they may not have the values I want, they're at least fun and more gorgeous than other areas. Altho I don't know if that's a good reason to stay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2017, 07:36 AM

850 posts, read 796,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
Thanks for the replies. Here's the thing... I don't want to live in LA or OC long term. I don't want to get married or raise a family here. I've dated and even tho the women are gorgeous, they are all waiting for the next best thing. I'd like to find someone with depth and someone that has similar values - which is hard in LA. If i do get married and have kids I'd want them to be around my family in Ohio.

I moved out here because there were no other reasonavle opportunities when I got laid off. Also, I never expected my previous employer to want to hire me back. I fully planned on taking this job in LA and riding it out as long as I could. But this opportunity with my previous employer just popped up recently.

I do not have any family or friends on California and have found it a little difficult to make friends. Between work, sitting on the 405, and going to the gym, I don't have much free time except the weekends. Sometimes I'm also working the weekends - it's a startup, so the work schedule is not super predictable.

I am renting, but only because I had no plans of staying in California for more than 4 years. In addition, even at 155k per year, it still seems difficult to get into a house. I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.

The other issues is if this startup fails, or the stock is worth a lot less than originally thought, I'd have to find another job, and there aren't many reasonable opportunities in Ohio. My previous employer is one of the better companies. So if i don't take this opp, and this current startup fails, it might be difficult to get back around my family without taking a job that might be miserable.

Everything is a gamble. If I stay and things don't go well, then it might be hard to figure out how to get back to my family. If I stay and things go well, then I might not ever have to work for someone again and could setup my own businesses.
Your assumption about women is right in Southern cal plus the average house in OC is now $700k.
Look into Columbus, OH which is one of the more economically and desirable cities in the Midwest.
Like I mentioned before people are less pretentious than OC people.

Old 11-25-2017, 10:07 AM

567 posts, read 787,172 times
Per the women (aka potential partners) in SoCal, dare I say that it sounds as though you're not meeting the right people. There are women who are not so gorgeous and are looking for partners who are substantial.

That said, it sounds as though you're in CA as a matter of convenience, but that your heart's in Ohio.

None of us can have everything, at least all at once. You're either going to have to move back or look for more meaningful relationships where you are.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 PM

83 posts, read 169,555 times
I do appreciate the advice. The decision certainly involved more than just relationships. Ultimately I'd like to live near my family in ohio, since if I get married and have kids I'd like them to be close with the rest of my family. I'd be ok staying in California for another 4 years if the potential for 2 million or more was certain. But it's a large gamble with no guarantee that the company will even make it beyond the next year. I'm just trying to weigh everything out.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:38 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Here's the thing... I don't want to live in LA or OC long term. I don't want to get married or raise a family here. I've dated and even tho the women are gorgeous, they are all waiting for the next best thing. I'd like to find someone with depth and someone that has similar values - which is hard in LA. If i do get married and have kids I'd want them to be around my family in Ohio.
I think this answers it for you.

Old 11-25-2017, 12:41 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,937,375 times
Quote:
It's the lure of the potential to make over 2 million dollars. That would allow me to not have to work for someone else again and I could setup my life the way id want.

Also, I can't disagree with the fact that the women are gorgeous. While they may not have the values I want, they're at least fun and more gorgeous than other areas. Altho I don't know if that's a good reason to stay.
Honestly, just go back to Ohio, live a modest lifestyle, save the difference, and in a couple of years, you won't need to work for someone else anyway. Living in Ohio with $600k means you'd already be halfway there as it is (although I'd definitely diversify that out of one stock).

Have you not seen this article?

The Shockingly Simple Math Behind Early Retirement

And this one?

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2012/...or-retirement/

Old 11-27-2017, 04:41 AM

5,724 posts, read 7,479,027 times
Quote:

Are they really gorgeous? They bought it all.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:46 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
Here's a stat you should remember.

75% of VC backed startups fail within 5 years. That means only 1 in 4 companies in the funding stage ever make it past 5 years, let alone become desirable enough to be acquired.

As someone who has personally had his double trigger exit actually succeed (about 3 months out now so I know what I'm talking about), I will say this, the chance you make $2,000,000 on an equity acquisition is very minimal.

1) Do you trust the CEO? Is he the "impact maker" and driven individual you think can move the company to acquisition?
2) 4 year vest is a long time, most companies don't even make it that far. Are you okay with everything failing given your best shot? If so, then definitely take the risk. If not, then leave, because I've seen many startups take everything someone has, and still fail.

Old 11-27-2017, 01:11 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
Quote:

That is a big IF... and meanwhile you are just wasting your prime years instead of working towards your long term personal goals. Money is not everything mate... find a good woman, settle down, have kids etc. etc. if that is what you want and it clearly is as you have indicated. You may find that in LA but it's a long shot - as you have noted yourself the culture is very self-centered here rather than the community culture you find in the mid-west.

In your case it's a nobrainer... making $120k/yr in Ohio you can live like a king!

Btw, there are gorgeous women in all places - I just got back from Mexico (state of Guanajuato) and good god, the women there were frigging stunning, and they are family oriented as well. Too bad I don't live there!!

Old 11-29-2017, 01:30 PM

521 posts, read 732,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
That is a big IF... and meanwhile you are just wasting your prime years instead of working towards your long term personal goals. Money is not everything mate... find a good woman, settle down, have kids etc. etc. if that is what you want and it clearly is as you have indicated. You may find that in LA but it's a long shot - as you have noted yourself the culture is very self-centered here rather than the community culture you find in the mid-west.

In your case it's a nobrainer... making $120k/yr in Ohio you can live like a king!

Btw, there are gorgeous women in all places - I just got back from Mexico (state of Guanajuato) and good god, the women there were frigging stunning, and they are family oriented as well. Too bad I don't live there!!
^ This
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County