Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2017, 02:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,260,390 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMaE6toi4mk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8W1PnI7QGS8
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2017, 04:44 PM

83 posts, read 169,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Here's a stat you should remember.

75% of VC backed startups fail within 5 years. That means only 1 in 4 companies in the funding stage ever make it past 5 years, let alone become desirable enough to be acquired.

As someone who has personally had his double trigger exit actually succeed (about 3 months out now so I know what I'm talking about), I will say this, the chance you make $2,000,000 on an equity acquisition is very minimal.

1) Do you trust the CEO? Is he the "impact maker" and driven individual you think can move the company to acquisition?
2) 4 year vest is a long time, most companies don't even make it that far. Are you okay with everything failing given your best shot? If so, then definitely take the risk. If not, then leave, because I've seen many startups take everything someone has, and still fail.
Just to be clear, the money would come from the stock valuation after IPO. The company cannot rely on private funding for years. The investors will want a return on their investment in 10 years or less.

It's exciting to have a lot of responsibility and help create a company from nothing. But if it were to fail it would be somewhat heartbreaking since I wouldn't know how to find a job back near my family at that point.

Old 11-29-2017, 04:50 PM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
Just to be clear, the money would come from the stock valuation after IPO.
That's even more remote. The amount of startups that make it to the IPO level is incredibly small. I would seriously think this decision through.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:04 PM

2,029 posts, read 2,357,901 times
Quote:
Just to be clear, the money would come from the stock valuation after IPO. The company cannot rely on private funding for years. The investors will want a return on their investment in 10 years or less.

It's exciting to have a lot of responsibility and help create a company from nothing. But if it were to fail it would be somewhat heartbreaking since I wouldn't know how to find a job back near my family at that point.
I am not sure about the women being "more gorgeous" in California. I grew up in OC and found my beautiful wife in Chicago. One thing is for sure; you only have so many years on this earth, so you had better not waste it on something that is not making you happy. If the $2M is a sure bet, then cash it in after the IPO and leave, maybe starting your own business in Ohio. Otherwise, your time to establish a life where you want to be is slipping away, and the time you have with say, your healthy parents, is finite. Is the job in Ohio stable? Do you see yourself there for a long time? Then I would return and try to start a life, since the cost of living in so much lower there. Otherwise, gamble away with an end game to get out.

Old 11-30-2017, 07:43 AM

266 posts, read 271,424 times
Tough decision that only you can make. I am originally from Cincinnati and still love it and enjoy visiting on occasion to get a fix of Cincinnati style chili and Montgomery Inn ribs along with Larosa's Pizza and real steak hoagies, hit a Reds game and drive down to Lexington to enjoy the beautiful horse farms of Central KY. That being said, I wouldn't leave Manhattan Beach to live there again, I enjoy the Ca. weather and classic car scene along with surfing too much. Good luck with your decisions, there are good and bad points for every place, Cincy weather isn't too bad, but if you are North of Dayton the winters are pretty brutal.

Old 11-30-2017, 08:40 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,133,689 times
Is this part of the soundtrack from Stranger Things?

Old 11-30-2017, 10:14 AM

8,390 posts, read 7,636,449 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Here's the thing... I don't want to live in LA or OC long term. I don't want to get married or raise a family here. .
May I suggest that you already know where you want to be?

Don't waste time asking strangers on the internet for advice.

Follow what your gut instinct is telling you. THAT is the right answer for you. No one else's opinions should matter.

Best wishes!

Old 11-30-2017, 10:45 AM

757 posts, read 1,093,784 times
May I ask what you do for a living? I'm just curious what kind of career produces that kind of income. I'm not trying to be snarky in any way.

Personally, even at $120K, I think that will go much further in Ohio. California (IMO) is going in the wrong direction with high taxation and quality of life, especially for what you to spend for it.

Additionally, it sounds like family is important to you and quite frankly, that's a BIG reason to consider moving back. Time is precious.

I once heard the term in smaller cities, one can be a big fish in a small pond and in larger cities, a small fish in a big pond. I have no idea why I bring this up! Hahaha 

Old 12-02-2017, 09:58 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,950,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
May I suggest that you already know where you want to be?

Don't waste time asking strangers on the internet for advice.

Follow what your gut instinct is telling you. THAT is the right answer for you. No one else's opinions should matter.

Best wishes!
OK maybe it’s my gender bias here but genetically women know & trust their gut feeling better than men.

When I was at OP’s age, I didn’t know my gut feeling unless I just ate a spicy burrito.

Old 12-02-2017, 06:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
OK maybe it’s my gender bias here but genetically women know & trust their gut feeling better than men.

When I was at OP’s age, I didn’t know my gut feeling unless I just ate a spicy burrito.
Yes my gut feeling got me in trouble wayyyy too many times and some of my female friends as well.

Now once someone has studied an issue, like moving, and evaluated as much information pro and con then their gut feeling is of value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County