Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 07:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
Has anyone else had a similar situation where you were happy in your career and making good money, but decided to leave just to be closer to family? (and took a job with less pay and less enjoyable)
No, I have only done the opposite.

Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Quote:
Has anyone else had a similar situation where you were happy in your career and making good money, but decided to leave just to be closer to family? (and took a job with less pay and less enjoyable)
Geeze, now that you phrase it that way, my recommendation is DO NOT GO BACK!!!

What is the point to be closer to your family but you are MISERABLE? If you are not happy you will resent your family because the “make” you go back, though the reality is nobody makes you do anything you don’t want to.

Stay in LA until your career hits bottom, then maybe then you’ll realize what’s really important in life. By that time, Peggy Sue has married someone else and had his children. Mom & Dad are long gone, and where will you be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 07:07 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
I don't want to live in LA or OC long term. I don't want to get married or raise a family here. I've dated and even tho the women are gorgeous, they are all waiting for the next best thing. I'd like to find someone with depth and someone that has similar values - which is hard in LA. If i do get married and have kids I'd want them to be around my family in Ohio.
You answered your question. Go back. No amount of money you make here--or anywhere--will make a difference, then.

Old 12-27-2017, 12:21 AM

83 posts, read 169,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Geeze, now that you phrase it that way, my recommendation is DO NOT GO BACK!!!

What is the point to be closer to your family but you are MISERABLE? If you are not happy you will resent your family because the “make” you go back, though the reality is nobody makes you do anything you don’t want to.

Stay in LA until your career hits bottom, then maybe then you’ll realize what’s really important in life. By that time, Peggy Sue has married someone else and had his children. Mom & Dad are long gone, and where will you be?
Yea, the job in Ohio isn't miserable - it's just not as challenging or rewarding as my current job in LA. Both choices kind of suck - there is loss and sacrifice with both. I'm not good accepting the loss of either decision. I think both decisions will have some level of regret in the future. I just want to figure out which one I would regret the least and do that one. ...still not sure which one that is.

It's either move back and be near family (with only slightly less pay and job satisfaction) or...
Stay for another 4 years in California and take a risk that my company will be successful, making my equity worth millions. Although, I'd be sacrificing 4 years of being near family.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:44 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,181,139 times
Can you work remote? Winters here, summers there?

Old 12-27-2017, 03:23 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
Yea, the job in Ohio isn't miserable - it's just not as challenging or rewarding as my current job in LA. Both choices kind of suck - there is loss and sacrifice with both. I'm not good accepting the loss of either decision. I think both decisions will have some level of regret in the future. I just want to figure out which one I would regret the least and do that one. ...still not sure which one that is.

It's either move back and be near family (with only slightly less pay and job satisfaction) or...
Stay for another 4 years in California and take a risk that my company will be successful, making my equity worth millions. Although, I'd be sacrificing 4 years of being near family.
If money is the main issue, your family will be better of with you in CA.

Money is not that important overall.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:10 PM

83 posts, read 169,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
If money is the main issue, your family will be better of with you in CA.

Money is not that important overall.
My family is in Ohio. Do you mean if money isn't that important I should just move back to Ohio to be close to family?

Old 12-27-2017, 05:38 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
My current situation:
-35 yrs old and single (but id like to get married someday)
-live in OC, work in LA
-job pays 155k per year
-job is small startup, good job, fun but sometimes long hours.
-since it's a startup you never know how long it'll stay in business based on how much investor funding is raised
-have some equity in the company. It'll take 4 yrs to vest but could potentially be worth about 2 million (if things are successful and there's an ipo - could take 10 years for this to happen, or it may never happen)
-no family or friends in California
-all my family and friends are back in Ohio

Potential opp in Ohio
-my previous employer is chomping at the bit to hire me back
-job pay potentially 120k per year
-job not as exciting as job in California
-regular hours, potential to work from home once in a while
-my family and friends are all there

When I took this job in California my goal was to stay 4 yrs, collect my equity and move back near family in ohio. I'd eventually like to put my money into things that generate passive income (like purchasing some small businesses or some subways), and then also do contract work on the side. I do have 600k worth of stock in a previous company i worked for. So that money would help with that. However, the potential to make over 2 million with this current startup is appealing. The downside is that it could happen in as short as 4 yrs, as long as 10 years, or it could not happen at all.

So, I'm not sure which direction is the best for my future goals. Any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks!
No one can make that decision for you. BTW, are you sure you are not just "homesick?" If so, your longings and rosy memories may be somewhat driven by that.

Why not try spending an entire month with your family in Ohio? That experience might help you to decide one way or another because you would find that they, and your friends, have their own lives/routines; and, as important as family is, they probably function very well without you. You may also find yourself coping with a crushing sense of boredom during that month.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
My family is in Ohio. Do you mean if money isn't that important I should just move back to Ohio to be close to family?
Yes. Money has importance but when it is the first thing it puts the family at best in 2nd place and likely further back than that. You were doing well there.

Old 12-28-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific2 View Post
No one can make that decision for you. BTW, are you sure you are not just "homesick?" If so, your longings and rosy memories may be somewhat driven by that.

Why not try spending an entire month with your family in Ohio? That experience might help you to decide one way or another because you would find that they, and your friends, have their own lives/routines; and, as important as family is, they probably function very well without you. You may also find yourself coping with a crushing sense of boredom during that month.
That is not a bad idea as things can change dramatically when someone is gone for a bit and the experience might help decide which is best for now. I doubt that family has changed but the friends may well have made changes that leave him out now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County