Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:14 AM

83 posts, read 169,642 times

Advertisements

My current situation:
-35 yrs old and single (but id like to get married someday)
-live in OC, work in LA
-job pays 155k per year
-job is small startup, good job, fun but sometimes long hours.
-since it's a startup you never know how long it'll stay in business based on how much investor funding is raised
-have some equity in the company. It'll take 4 yrs to vest but could potentially be worth about 2 million (if things are successful and there's an ipo - could take 10 years for this to happen, or it may never happen)
-no family or friends in California
-all my family and friends are back in Ohio

Potential opp in Ohio
-my previous employer is chomping at the bit to hire me back
-job pay potentially 120k per year
-job not as exciting as job in California
-regular hours, potential to work from home once in a while
-my family and friends are all there

When I took this job in California my goal was to stay 4 yrs, collect my equity and move back near family in ohio. I'd eventually like to put my money into things that generate passive income (like purchasing some small businesses or some subways), and then also do contract work on the side. I do have 600k worth of stock in a previous company i worked for. So that money would help with that. However, the potential to make over 2 million with this current startup is appealing. The downside is that it could happen in as short as 4 yrs, as long as 10 years, or it could not happen at all.

So, I'm not sure which direction is the best for my future goals. Any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 AM

850 posts, read 796,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekosu View Post
My current situation:
-live in OC, work in LA
-job pays 155k per year
-since it's a startup you never know how long it'll stay in business based on how much investor funding is raised
-have some equity in the company. It'll take 4 yrs to vest but could potentially be worth about 2 million (if things are successful and there's an ipo - could take 10 years for this to happen, or it may never happen)

Potential opp in Ohio

When I took this job in California my goal was to stay 4 yrs, collect my equity and move back near family in ohio. I'd eventually like to put my money into things that generate passive income (like purchasing some small businesses or some subways), and then also do contract work on the side. I do have 600k worth of stock in a previous company i worked for. So that money would help with that. However, the potential to make over 2 million with this current startup is appealing. The downside is that it could happen in as short as 4 yrs, as long as 10 years, or it could not happen at all.

So, I'm not sure which direction is the best for my future goals. Any advice would be super helpful.

Thanks!

I had a similar situation for a offer in california, over 6 digit salary, but I do have family and friends in California. I decided to stay in AZ for the time being, I hope not to be here much longer, but amount of money I have saved here has been beneficial even with higher pay in LA i would be saving more money here in AZ. $2k for 1 bed in LA is insane. I would say if friends and family is what makes you happy go back to Ohio, you sound like you got alot of equity. Ohio is cheaper to buy a house and for me its less pretentious than southern california. I know because I went to Ohio st for while and lived in Columbus. If you still want to have activities and motivation to work then stay in california.

Old 11-23-2017, 11:40 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
My current situation:
-live in OC, work in LA
-job pays 155k per year

Potential opp in Ohio

Thanks!
I would suggest that you stay in OC, and work at developing friendships here. I know it can be rough since you work long hours, but it's not impossible. Don't forget that you just moved here this year. So, you have to give yourself some time to adjust and work on improving things in that area.

Also, is the employer who is eager to rehire you, the same one who laid you off earlier this year (previous post)? If so, what's to keep him from doing it again?

Finally, from your description, the CA job seems to be more interesting, with the potential for even better professional and financial growth.

My 2 cents: Stay, and get involved in Meetup, sports, or whatever interests you, in order to make and nurture OC friendships. Visit your OH family and friends during holidays, and also invite them to CA.

Old 11-23-2017, 01:46 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,395,091 times
Quote:
My current situation:
-live in OC, work in LA
-job pays 155k per year

Potential opp in Ohio

Thanks!
It has risks to stay and risks to go back.

If you stay and the new company fails, you may have trouble getting another decent job in CA and may not be able to get one like your old one in OH. If CA is not a goal just a step in making money I would not have moved to CA. But you have so, ... I would stay for as long as you can and if things do not look good plan on a return but you will then have time for acquiring a new job there. Money to live on does not seem to be an issue with your pay.

The kind of life a wife may want is far more important.

Old 11-23-2017, 02:14 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,943,866 times
Why cant you just make new friends in SoCal?

The women in SoCal are friggin gorgeous. Many of them need a man with money. Just marry one start a family, meet more women, and have more kids illegitimately on the side, and you can start your own dynasty in SoCal.

Old 11-23-2017, 05:34 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,482,998 times
Quote:
My current situation:
-live in OC, work in LA
-job pays 155k per year

Potential opp in Ohio

Thanks!
I would go back home. You are successful regardless. I think you will find someone better suited to your midwestern values. Your money will also go a lot further in Ohio.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,960,798 times
Do you have a life here other than your work?

Any plan to settle down? Are you willing to work like you have been for the next 4 ~ 10 years in hope of cashing in that $2M?

Do you own a House here? If not, why are you still renting with your income?

I’d say go back if you’re burned out on your current job, disillusion with it, or generally dissatisfied with your life here. Otherwise, I think you wil regret going back because in the back of your mind you will always have that doubt of “what if...”. It’s the unresolved career ambition that will always nag you.

Old 11-23-2017, 09:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,936,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
The women in SoCal are friggin gorgeous. Many of them need a man with money. Just marry one start a family, meet more women, and have more kids illegitimately on the side, and you can start your own dynasty in SoCal.
This.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:34 AM

83 posts, read 169,642 times
Thanks for the replies. Here's the thing... I don't want to live in LA or OC long term. I don't want to get married or raise a family here. I've dated and even tho the women are gorgeous, they are all waiting for the next best thing. I'd like to find someone with depth and someone that has similar values - which is hard in LA. If i do get married and have kids I'd want them to be around my family in Ohio.

I moved out here because there were no other reasonavle opportunities when I got laid off. Also, I never expected my previous employer to want to hire me back. I fully planned on taking this job in LA and riding it out as long as I could. But this opportunity with my previous employer just popped up recently.

I do not have any family or friends on California and have found it a little difficult to make friends. Between work, sitting on the 405, and going to the gym, I don't have much free time except the weekends. Sometimes I'm also working the weekends - it's a startup, so the work schedule is not super predictable.

I am renting, but only because I had no plans of staying in California for more than 4 years. In addition, even at 155k per year, it still seems difficult to get into a house. I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.

The other issues is if this startup fails, or the stock is worth a lot less than originally thought, I'd have to find another job, and there aren't many reasonable opportunities in Ohio. My previous employer is one of the better companies. So if i don't take this opp, and this current startup fails, it might be difficult to get back around my family without taking a job that might be miserable.

Everything is a gamble. If I stay and things don't go well, then it might be hard to figure out how to get back to my family. If I stay and things go well, then I might not ever have to work for someone again and could setup my own businesses.

Old 11-24-2017, 06:46 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,687,308 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. Here's the thing... I don't want to live in LA or OC long term. I don't want to get married or raise a family here. I've dated and even tho the women are gorgeous, they are all waiting for the next best thing. I'd like to find someone with depth and someone that has similar values - which is hard in LA. If i do get married and have kids I'd want them to be around my family in Ohio.

I moved out here because there were no other reasonavle opportunities when I got laid off. Also, I never expected my previous employer to want to hire me back. I fully planned on taking this job in LA and riding it out as long as I could. But this opportunity with my previous employer just popped up recently.

I do not have any family or friends on California and have found it a little difficult to make friends. Between work, sitting on the 405, and going to the gym, I don't have much free time except the weekends. Sometimes I'm also working the weekends - it's a startup, so the work schedule is not super predictable.

I am renting, but only because I had no plans of staying in California for more than 4 years. In addition, even at 155k per year, it still seems difficult to get into a house. I could be wrong, but that's my assumption.

The other issues is if this startup fails, or the stock is worth a lot less than originally thought, I'd have to find another job, and there aren't many reasonable opportunities in Ohio. My previous employer is one of the better companies. So if i don't take this opp, and this current startup fails, it might be difficult to get back around my family without taking a job that might be miserable.

Everything is a gamble. If I stay and things don't go well, then it might be hard to figure out how to get back to my family. If I stay and things go well, then I might not ever have to work for someone again and could setup my own businesses.
It sounds like you have answered your own question. So, why not just return to Ohio?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County