U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 04:26 PM

6 posts, read 22,813 times

Advertisements

Two thirds of the 18000 residents here are women. With all the activities available in Leisure World, there are plenty of opportunities to meet someone. If you can drive at night, it is even better.
Check this place out. If I had odds like this when I was twenty, I would have never made it to fifty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 01:03 AM

2,061 posts, read 2,389,129 times
Flagerwrangler, any update on how you're doing out there? Have you assimilated into LW and have you sold your FL place? Do you like LW? Meanwhile, my condo is not selling so my plans to come out to LW have been put on hold. I'll put it back on the market in the spring, but may not get anything more than I owe on the mortgage (and I put 20% down). Let me know how you're making out if you have a minute.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:51 AM

70 posts, read 144,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Flagerwrangler, any update on how you're doing out there? Have you assimilated into LW and have you sold your FL place? Do you like LW? Meanwhile, my condo is not selling so my plans to come out to LW have been put on hold. I'll put it back on the market in the spring, but may not get anything more than I owe on the mortgage (and I put 20% down). Let me know how you're making out if you have a minute.

I was a little surprised that you're taking your place off the market at the height of the season in FL. Isn't that when you would get more traffic?

My partner and I rented in LW last year and enjoyed it...we thought most of the people nice and there's a wide range of age groups.

Good luck on selling your condo!

Old 12-31-2008, 11:15 AM

4,611 posts, read 7,977,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Flagerwrangler, I would love to hear an update also.

Avalon08, like you we can't sell our home in Texas. So I feel your pain. It's so frustrating because we want to be in Calif so bad.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:40 PM

143 posts, read 351,150 times
We moved into our totally renovated Garden Villa in September and we love every minute here. The people are great the area is great, the golf and other facilities are wonderful. We have met so many active folks of all ages. It's the best move we've ever made. I just wish I could sell our house in Florida, take my loss and know That I am now in an affordable wonderful place to live with nothing hanging over my head. We look forward to a great 2009 and many more years of active living here in Laguna Woods.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,058 times
Smile Hi, future resident!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
Hi Everybody, my wife and I have just inherited a Garden Villa condo in Laguna Woods Village. I'm 71 and she is 60. We are seriously looking to leave Northeast Florida and move to the condo. It's smaller than what we are accustomed to, but we feel we can make due with 1200 sq feet for the 2 of us. We are both active golfers and the cost of golf here in Florida is our biggest discretionary expense, it is costing us about $12000 a year. My concern about LW is the median age, it is a good deal older than, particularly my wifes. Will that be a problem? Are tee times usually available, I play 5 days a week. Are there any issues we should be concerned with or is it going to be the affordable clean place we are hoping for. Appreciate any feedback. Thanks
You should try to come out for a visit to LOOK at and INSPECT the villa before you make such a big move. The golf course at LW is a favorite with MANY residents of ALL ages. My mother lives there and so do several friends of mine. THere is a 50s club which is great for people like me, your wife and even YOU.
I don't know near what gate your villa is, which would tell me a bit more about it. My mom is in a Casa Linda, as is my friend who is 62. Another friend of mine is 57, so don't let the median age discourage you.
There are SO MANY events and clubs (social, themed, religious affiliated, state origins, city origins, hobbies, etc.) I think someone once told me there are over 300 different clubs. I believe it. (There is a library, art room, pool, lawn bowling, bocce court, exercise room and on and on.) There is an Italian Club, New York Club, Chicago Club, Iowa club, Hadassah, WAY too many to mention. EVery denomination just about is represented within 2 miles of the Village, including a beautiful and well-supported Jewish Temple. My Mom attends St. Nicholas Catholic Church.
If you don't feel like driving, take one of the buses which is there at NO extra charge. There are banks, shopping centers, hospital (EXCELLENT hospital care at Saddleback Memorial), professional building, etc. within seconds, if not moments from the gates.
It is safe at night. You will see everyone walking their little dogs at all hours. I think the advantage of LWV is that as we all get older (and we do), the transition is less difficult. When one HAS to give up driving, there's great bus service. If one spouse has to go to Nursing Care or Assisted Living, that is just moments away. The only thing I'd change is the way the management company operates. Then again, the most beautiful rose has many thorns. ;-D My Mom's place is near Gate 3. In the Mutual coop units, there is a monthly fee. It is about $550 per month. BUT, that includes the security, the bus service, the maintenance, the exterior care, and so forth. Insurance is on the owner and must cover replacement value of the property (fire, etc.) Periodically, appliances can be replaced at no additional cost or minimal amounts. Once you learn the ropes it's okay. But California living is costly over all. I don't know where you are in Florida, but I know there are OUTSTANDING Senior Independent Living APARTMENTS in Tavares at $599 per month. Florida is humid, California is not. Utilities here are costly. Gas for the car is at $2.99 today. Registration for the car is UP.
So, I'd really suggest a one month stay when you can, focusing on how you think you would like it here as a RESIDENT and NOT as a tourist.
Good luck...THE AGE THING is NOT a factor. I know a LOT of folks 60 to 70.

Old 07-18-2009, 08:56 PM

143 posts, read 351,150 times
Thanks for your response. WE fixed up our Condo and moved here last year. We love it. Everything is wonderful.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:09 AM

1 posts, read 1,566 times
Aloha!

So glad that you took the plunge and moved to Laguna Woods Village, CA.

My husband and I lived in LWV for almost 5 years - I was 57 and my hubby was 60, when we moved in and rented a gorgeous unit in Gate 5. We joined the sailing club, attended TGIF a few times, spent time at the pool and walked a lot. We met lots of great people (of all ages) there and made lots of new friends. We always felt very safe and grateful for living in such a wonderful area. There were TONS of things to do and lots of things tyo get involved in, but we just never seemed to have time to do it all!

We moved here to the gorgeous island of Maui in June of 2010, to house-sit for a friend of ours, as my husband lost his job, and we simply couldn't afford to pay the rent any more. We left OC with very heavy hearts and would love to come back on day.

Anyway, trust me you will love it in LWV. Hope you're settling in well and making new friends. All the best and aloha!

Old 10-16-2011, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 1,099 times
My cousin has lived at LW for 8 years and loves it. I would love to find a rental to move into... If you know of any - let me know. It is a beautiful place to live...and walk.. The morning walks are wonderful.
Many sights and sounds.

Old 05-04-2013, 08:23 PM

1 posts, read 652 times
Default cjudego

We want to try LW. What is the best way to find a rental?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County