U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

2 posts, read 4,996 times

Advertisements

Ok hey everyone let me fill you in on my situation . I pretty much bombed my life in ohio so in an event to better my life I'm getting flown out to La habra to live with my moms boyfriend. Anyway what I'm looking at is no rent at least for a long while . I have a job out there with decent pay . Pretty much gonna stack my bills and get out of debt. So I had a few questions about life in La habra .

Whats the local music scene like ?

How much does your average Mcdonalds Value Meal Cost?

Do I need a car ?

Good local Colleges ?

Does everyone like the red hot chillie peppers out there? (that was a joke but feel free to answer:P)

Whats the best way to move some clothes a guitar and a computer there ?

Anything else you guys wana tell me would be spectacular ! :P
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 09:23 AM

26,342 posts, read 89,339,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeroMike View Post
Anything else you guys wana tell me would be spectacular

United States Marine Corps Recruiting

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM

5,113 posts, read 18,742,392 times
Quote:
Ok hey everyone let me fill you in on my situation . I pretty much bombed my life in ohio so in an event to better my life I'm getting flown out to La habra to live with my moms boyfriend. Anyway what I'm looking at is no rent at least for a long while . I have a job out there with decent pay . Pretty much gonna stack my bills and get out of debt. So I had a few questions about life in La habra .

orange county has a large hardcore/metalcore scene.. im not too plugged in overall, so i dont know anything else, but the Glasshouse is the primary venue for the locals, especially now that the Galaxy is shut down

Quote:
dunno, but its about 5.30 for a double double, fries, and a drink at in-n-out(which is infinitely better than mcd)

Quote:
Do I need a car ?
most likely.. public transportation is fairly rudimentary. a bus can probably get you somewhere, but possibly by taking you halfway across the county first

Quote:
Good local Colleges ?
fullerton college(2yr) and cal state fullerton are fairly close. cypress college is a little farther.

Quote:
Does everyone like the red hot chillie peppers out there? (that was a joke but feel free to answer:P)

dunno the rest, good luck

Old 03-27-2008, 06:32 PM

199 posts, read 682,959 times
Default Lived there for about 6 years

I lived in La Habra for about six years and my grandkids (6 of the 9) still live there. It is not bad if you stay close to the Brea side or right around the newer Walmart and all (Imperial and Beach), but it is heavily illegal immigrants especially on the Whittier side. Most everyone speaks Spanish and lots of 10-12 people in two bedroom apartments. La Habra High has a bad reputation now and it used to be good (my eldest daughter and son in law graduated from there about 20 years ago) now it does not. Lots of gang bangers and a few years ago there was the homeless guy with one hand who killed a child and placed the body in chunks of concrete (this was someone I saw outside the local market weekly if not more often). Twenty years ago my ex-husband called it Guadalahabra and it is worse now. Stay around Sonora high, that is where my grandkids attend. And no I am not racist, my grandkids are hispanic, but they speak English and their paternal grandparents came here legally. OC bus service is so-so depending on where you live. You can get almost anywhere south on the 29 or the 41 on Beach or Harbor boulevard. As for getting your stuff there, cheapest way is to pack it and send it by UPS, moved from Minnesota to the west coast once that way. Stuff got there before I did. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

2 posts, read 4,996 times
Default Thx keep em coming

Thanks for all the good advice guys . I don't know exactly where in la habra i'll be staying but it'll be in a 2 bedroom apartment , sadly I don't speak spanish so this will be a little bit of an adventure . I'm 20 so I'm out of high school :P but thank you for mentioning those things . I'll prolly end up using UPS , sounds like the best way . Keep the advice coming ! , any idea on what life there will be like ? let me know

=mike=

Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM

29,917 posts, read 73,171,298 times
Quote:

Do I need a car ? ABSOLUTELY. UNLESS YOU LIVE IN SANTA ANA OR ORANGE AND TAKE THE TRAIN TO L.A.

Good local Colleges ? YES. UCI (IRVINE) IS VERY GOOD. OTHER TWO AND FOUR YEAR COLLEGES IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA ARE ALL MODERATELY GOOD.

Does everyone like the red hot chillie peppers out there? (that was a joke but feel free to answer:P) EVERYONE? No. HOWEVER ALMOST EVERYONE IN YOU AGE/RACIAL GROUP PROBABLY DOES

GREYHOUND HANDS DOWN. HOWEVER YOU HAVE TO DROP IT OFF AND PICK IT UP AT THE STATION YOURSELF. THERE IS A GREYHOUND STATION AT THE TRAIN STATION IN SANTA ANA. NOT SURE IF THERE IS ONE IN LA HABRA

YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST. TRY NOT TO GET CAUGHT UP IN THE MATERIALISM NOR THE DRINKING AND DRUG SCENE OR YOU WILL END UP EVEN MORE BROKE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>