Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 02:12 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzij View Post
You may want to go reread my post and then revise yours. If not, I'm happy to respond to what I'm currently reading.

Just because you have family there is not a sufficient reason for not putting what is essentially an open air mental health facility. Everybody has family somewhere.

Try again.

You can put your "open air mental health facility" on the grounds of the former El Toro Marine Base!

Why not? Like I said, these are your problems and you need to deal with them!

It's a mute point anyways, as Los Angeles County is a much more powerful entity than Orange County and they would never let you guys do that. Ever!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:16 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,287,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
You can put your "open air mental health facility" on the grounds of the former El Toro Marine Base!

Why not? Like I said, these are your problems and you need to deal with them!

It's a mute point anyways, as Los Angeles County is a much more powerful entity than Orange County and they would never let you guys do that. Ever!
so you dont want your homeless be relocated to palmdale?

Old 11-14-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
so you dont want your homeless be relocated to palmdale?

Absolutely not! Palmdale didn't send them to us! Palmdale has it's own issues with homeless already.

If you want to see a how a wealthy community is handling its homelessness issues with dignity and compassion, then look at Pacific Palisades!

The residents of that community have gone out and met each homeless person, assessed what their needs are and they know them on a first-name basis. Knowing the people sleeping on the streets in your community is a major step towards holding them accountable.

It's letting them know they are being observed. It's letting them know that you think they are part of your community and it's inviting them to be a stakeholder along with you. Sometimes, all many of these people need is for someone to make them feel "part" of something in order to get them started on a better path. It's the simple act of showing them dignity.

Old 11-14-2018, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzij View Post
ROFL the fact you're bringing up racism is actually hilarious. The only person even mentioning race is you.

Also, last I checked Hispanic isn't a race. But please carry on with your inane tirade. You're so obviously triggered your posts aren't even logically consistent.
The reason I brought up "racism" is because you would never even think to send your homeless to Temecula or Murrieta!

Even though there is plenty of room for an "open air mental health facility" out that way, you wouldn't do it because those are predominantly white communities!

You wouldn't send them out to Palm Springs or Rancho Mirage for the same reasons!

And, let's be honest, Hispanics aren't technically a "race" but that doesn't stop people from looking down on them and thinking that what happens in their communities doesn't matter. It's a mixture of classism and racism, both!

Old 11-14-2018, 02:48 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,182,098 times
Quote:
The reason I brought up "racism" is because you would never even think to send your homeless to Temecula or Murrieta!

Even though there is plenty of room for an "open air mental health facility" out that way, you wouldn't do it because those are predominantly white communities!

You wouldn't send them out to Palm Springs or Rancho Mirage for the same reasons!

And, let's be honest, Hispanics aren't technically a "race" but that doesn't stop people from looking down on them and thinking that what happens in their communities doesn't matter. It's a mixture of classism and racism, both!

calm down.. go to your safe space or something. Why wouldn't people of OC want homeless shipped inland? Send them to Palmdale, Temecula, slab city, I don't care I just want facilities built for them to help them off the streets. And there's nothing wrong with El Toro but developers have already built million dollar houses there so there's no room. OC is opening a lot of shelters scattered all about so that'll at least help a little. It's more the LA's doing......

Old 11-14-2018, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Absolutely not! Palmdale didn't send them to us! Palmdale has it's own issues with homeless already.

If you want to see a how a wealthy community is handling its homelessness issues with dignity and compassion, then look at Pacific Palisades!

The residents of that community have gone out and met each homeless person, assessed what their needs are and they know them on a first-name basis. Knowing the people sleeping on the streets in your community is a major step towards holding them accountable.

It's letting them know they are being observed. It's letting them know that you think they are part of your community and it's inviting them to be a stakeholder along with you. Sometimes, all many of these people need is for someone to make them feel "part" of something in order to get them started on a better path. It's the simple act of showing them dignity.
so if we know their name, we let them know they are being observed..that will solve the homeless problem?

Old 11-14-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
so if we know their name, we let them know they are being observed..that will solve the homeless problem?

It's more than that!

Would you like a script? Here's one:

YOU: Hello! My name is _________. I have lived in this community for _____years. I have a lot of family and friends who live here as well.

Your name is?

HOMELESS PERSON: ____________

YOU: Welcome to our community, _____________! Do you know your way around? Do you know where to access resources? Has a case worker checked up on you lately?

HOMELESS PERSON: ____________________

YOU: As part of our community, I want to be sure you are safe and getting what you need to survive. Myself and several other people like to be sure that ALL people who live here are safe. We pride ourselves on our safety. Since you are living here too, can we ask that you help us with that goal?

---------------------------

You are engaging this person and treating them like a fellow human being. You have let them know that you are aware of their presence. You have let them know that the community you live in has standards and you would like them to help you in keeping those standards.

When you approach it like that, you're giving them a sense of belonging and a sense that they have a stake in living in your community and maintaining your standards also. It is also helpful in letting them know that they are being observed. If they are uncomfortable, they'll move on somewhere else. If they are just down on their luck, they'll appreciate your human kindness.

Last edited by kttam186290; 11-14-2018 at 03:21 PM..

Old 11-14-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
It's more than that!

Would you like a script? Here's one:

YOU: Hello! My name is _________. I have lived in this community for _____years. I have a lot of family and friends who live here as well.

Your name is?

HOMELESS PERSON: ____________

YOU: Welcome to our community, _____________! Do you know your way around? Do you know where to access resources? Has a case worker checked up on you lately?

HOMELESS PERSON: ____________________

YOU: As part of our community, I want to be sure you are safe and getting what you need to survive. Myself and several other people like to be sure that ALL people who live here are safe. We pride ourselves on our safety. Since you are living here too, can we ask that you help us with that goal?

---------------------------

You are engaging this person and treating them like a fellow human being. You have let them know that you are aware of their presence. You have let them know that the community you live in has standards and you would like them to help you in keeping those standards.

When you approach it like that, you're giving them a sense of belonging and a sense that they have a stake in living in your community and maintaining your standards also. It is also helpful in letting them know that they are being observed. If they are uncomfortable, they'll move on somewhere else. If they are just down on their luck, they'll appreciate your human kindness.
lots of SJW did that, brought food etc but the homeless didnt go away at the river bank until the police demolished it and they were given vouchers so that they could sleep in the motels.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:34 PM

567 posts, read 431,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Another democrat that's smarter than the rest of us, just ask them

And for the record, I'm rich. How about you?
You can be rich and still be a democrat as long as your values include most of these:

Pro Choice
Pro Labor Unions
Universal Healthcare
Lowering cost of RX drugs
LGBTQ Rights
Raising Minimum Wage
Gun Control
Affordable College education for all
Protection of our environment
Rent Control
Providing affordable housing
Respect a diverse society
ETC, ETC, ETC

Old 11-15-2018, 10:24 AM

167 posts, read 195,684 times
Looks like all OC districts will end up blue. Not very conservative if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County