Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2008, 03:52 PM

8 posts, read 18,085 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

[I posted this in the LA sub thread as well. ]

I know this type of question is out there in many parts. I'm hoping someone can help me narrow down my searches.

Here's the deal: Moving to the LA area early next year and trying to plan ahead. We'll be renting and would like to be in a nice area. But we want to be reasonably close to LA. I'm looking for a safe community within 30 - 40 miles of LA (I know drive time will be varied and crazy at times, Not as worried about that) but close. My wife and I don't have kids but are in our 30's. I don't want to party like a college kid, but not a blue hair either.

I want a place that if I'm working late I don't have to worry about my wife being home alone or my stuff not being there when I get back. We can afford about 1500 to 1600 / month.

I've been looking at maps, forums, renting websites and here's what I've seen.

I like the prices and location of Long Beach, but it sounds like it may be too rough.

Garden Grove sounds good, but I've heard there are some pretty bad areas there too.

Costa Mesa looks great but is a bit further away than I was thinking.

Can anyone help me by narrowing down these areas a litte more for me.

It doesn't have to be south of LA either. Anywhere around the city that fits our saftey concerns first, beach side second tied with price.

I'm sorry this is so narrowed, but if there are a few towns folks could reccommend I start with I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
~Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2008, 03:57 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,187,529 times
Anywhere within a few blocks of the coast in CA is very nice, except for maybe Venice, but that is out of your price range. Long Beach has some great areas and some not so great. The areas within walking distance of the ocean tend to be nice, if not very nice. Try Belmont Shore, a great little neighborhood with a main st. with lots of shops/restaurants/bars. its about 30 minutes to LA with minimal traffic, but also very close to downtown Long Beach which also has a lot going on. For $1500, you should be able to get a large 1 bedroom maybe even a 2 bedroom almost anywhere in Long Beach.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Long Beach has plenty of fair areas.

Just to the east is Los Alamitos(situated between Garden Grove and Long Beach a few minutes from the coast).

Perfectly safe at night, has easy access to some areas for nightlife and fun(Seal Beach, Belmont Shore, etc. and great freeway location at the 605/405/22), and the main apartment area(apartment row) has walking access to food, banks, and groceries.

My first 2bed apt was about 900sqft first floor apt with a 1 car garage and was 1175. my current apt is a 2bed townhouse apt with a private 2car garage and secure storage room. i pay 1400 currently. there really is no reason for prices to be much higher than that at this point as far as i can tell. one of the local property management companies that own a lot of properties is the Ray Roberts Realty, but many of these places are not run by a property management company, so you just gotta take a drive on a saturday morning and look for rent signs

Old 03-31-2008, 05:30 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeststeve View Post
But we want to be reasonably close to LA. I'm looking for a safe community within 30 - 40 miles of LA (I know drive time will be varied and crazy at times, Not as worried about that) but close.
Where are you going to be working? You wrote "LA" but where in LA? Thirty to forty miles could be one to two hours of commuting - one way. Once the forum knows where you will be working coupled with your $1500-$1600 budget, you will get some good fine tuned responses.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:58 AM

8 posts, read 18,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Where are you going to be working? You wrote "LA" but where in LA? Thirty to forty miles could be one to two hours of commuting - one way. Once the forum knows where you will be working coupled with your $1500-$1600 budget, you will get some good fine tuned responses.

Thanks for the responses. I work for an insurance company doing network support. I have the ability to work remotely so I may in fact be working from home. But we have offices in downtown la as well at 4902 W SLAUSON AVENUE.

I am, of course, an aspiring actor and a comedian. I currently work on the east coast so I know that travel is inevitable. My main need to drive into the city will be for auditions, I'm assuming more mid day, and at night when going to the clubs for gigs etc....

I have a decent amount of flexibility in location because of these things.

Thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County