U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2018, 09:16 PM
 
18 posts, read 11,779 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Our family is looking to relocate from Chicagoland to OC. Looking at houses in Huntington Beach and Irvine areas, which are the results from the very helpful advice I got from another thread

Upon searching on Redfin, my wife and I realized one thing: if we narrow the search to houses built after 1995, we lost 75%+ of the results, which is sort of starling since 1995-2018 is already 23 years... Since we are not familiar with the areas really, curious if you have any advice on any area-specific issues related to houses built before, say 1990, that we should pay attention to? We are considering older houses after seeing the paltry search result count. Appreciate the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2018, 09:25 PM
 
805 posts, read 1,335,913 times
Reputation: 439
Is an older home the only requirement you have? There are many, many older homes in Orange County, some with huge lots even. It just depends on your price, maybe your job and commute, kids and school?

Most of South County is new, so you'll have to look north and central OC. Others will have better advice/comments. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 09:35 PM
 
18 posts, read 11,779 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by russlancea View Post
Is an older home the only requirement you have? There are many, many older homes in Orange County, some with huge lots even. It just depends on your price, maybe your job and commute, kids and school?

Most of South County is new, so you'll have to look north and central OC. Others will have better advice/comments. Good luck.
Thanks for the response! I indeed over-simplified things in my original post (we are looking at 1-1.75M, 2500+sqft, 4+BR, and a few other criteria). Just trying to focus on what we should pay attention to for this specific criteria: age of the house. And maybe I did not put it clearly enough, but we are looking for NEWER houses, not OLDER one. By trying to eliminate houses built AFTER 1995 while keeping everything else the same, we lost like 75% of the search result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2018, 10:48 PM
 
18,181 posts, read 11,407,678 times
Reputation: 9159
Quote:
Originally Posted by vietlam View Post
Thanks for the response! I indeed over-simplified things in my original post (we are looking at 1-1.75M, 2500+sqft, 4+BR, and a few other criteria). Just trying to focus on what we should pay attention to for this specific criteria: age of the house. And maybe I did not put it clearly enough, but we are looking for NEWER houses, not OLDER one. By trying to eliminate houses built AFTER 1995 while keeping everything else the same, we lost like 75% of the search result.
Most older homes are in the hands of older people who do not want to sell as they have a "home", not just a house. The "newer" ones are usually in the hands of younger ones who are looking at a house as an investment to sell in a few years not a home to stay in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 10:06 PM
 
383 posts, read 242,125 times
Reputation: 1021
All the homes old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2018, 10:37 PM
 
Location: Aliso Viejo, Orange County, CA
5,076 posts, read 6,619,368 times
Reputation: 4176
Irvine has seen a lot of new construction. I could be wrong but, I think that most homes in South OC (South of Irvine) were built before 1995. However, they seem to be aging well without many issues. You will likely eliminate a number of nice homes from consideration if you only focus on new homes.

This was constructed in 1994:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/4856586

This went up in 1992:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Aliso-Viej...6/home/4856131

This was built in 1990:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Vi...2/home/5048810

This was constructed in 1982:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Mission-Vi...2/home/5087566
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 03:57 AM
 
412 posts, read 252,823 times
Reputation: 513
There are homes as you describe in the Tustin foothills...search using zipcode. 92705..

They sell fast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 09:41 AM
 
Location: Fullerton, CA
81 posts, read 67,702 times
Reputation: 53
We came here from Chicago about 2 years ago and love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 01:53 PM
 
18 posts, read 11,779 times
Reputation: 16
Thanks for the info! We were worried about construction standards, etc. (Lead paint, abestos,...) But It does not sound like there is anything specific to the area we should pay attention to for house age. Will ask the agent for house specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-11-2018, 09:14 PM
 
412 posts, read 252,823 times
Reputation: 513
Default Olderhomes

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietlam View Post
Thanks for the info! We were worried about construction standards, etc. (Lead paint, abestos,...) But It does not sound like there is anything specific to the area we should pay attention to for house age. Will ask the agent for house specific.
Homes built here beyond 23 years do not have lead or asbestos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top