Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2019, 10:39 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,941,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullBloodedWhiteMale View Post
None. Most of the government schools in south OC are loaded with smart kids. The advantage of a private school is negligible. On the other hand, if you were looking in north OC or 90% of the city of Los Angeles, then private school is a good thing to think about.
Disagree.

Capo district is averaging what... 32-34 students per class?

Not to mention mandatory LGBTQ etc education coming down the pipe.
https://californiafamily.org/2018/ca...ender-lessons/

The private school I have my kids in currently has an average class size of 11, and a 4 year college placement rate of 93%. What is it in California public high schools? Maybe 20%? Not to mention the lesson plan is dictated more on preparing kids for succeeding academically at high demand universities and not to talk about genitals and melanin for 4 hours straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2019, 11:02 AM

138 posts, read 116,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Disagree.

Capo district is averaging what... 32-34 students per class?

Not to mention mandatory LGBTQ etc education coming down the pipe.
https://californiafamily.org/2018/ca...ender-lessons/

The private school I have my kids in currently has an average class size of 11, and a 4 year college placement rate of 93%. What is it in California public high schools? Maybe 20%? Not to mention the lesson plan is dictated more on preparing kids for succeeding academically at high demand universities and not to talk about genitals and melanin for 4 hours straight.
I'd rather have "my child be taught that sex is assigned at birth" (regardless if it is true or no, I have no idea), than have him brainwashed by religion at a religious private school.

I think Capo, Saddleback, and Irvine most likely have those college placement rates (which doesn't mean anything considering anyone can get into a JC - which is actually a very smart thing to do financially).

Not to make this go off to a private vs public education debate, but a person living in one of those three school districts (not LAUSD) should ask himself, Is the $15K per year (or $180K over 12 years) for private school tuition worth the marginal increase in education a private school might provide over a high performing public school? That is, by investing that $15K per year in the S&P500, when you kid turns 18, that private school money would be worth $287K at 7%, and by letting that money sit until your kid is 65, that private school money is worth about $7M.

Think the private school education is worth that?

Old 02-19-2019, 11:04 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,661,115 times
Quote:
None. Most of the government schools in south OC are loaded with smart kids. The advantage of a private school is negligible. On the other hand, if you were looking in north OC or 90% of the city of Los Angeles, then private school is a good thing to think about.
Exactly. In fact we know a few dummies who got accepted and went to Sage Hill. His father owned shares in Berkshire company, at least that’s when my kid was dating him. He was a C/B student at best in middle school.
As for Fairmont schools, my brother’s kids went there, he had bragged about them, the results were no where close to what you think. All the top public schools have very smart kids. Troy is one of them.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
I'd rather have "my child be taught that sex is assigned at birth" (regardless if it is true or no, I have no idea), than have him brainwashed by religion at a religious private school.
More like there are 44 different genders, and 150 different pro-nouns. Also, not all private schools are based on "religion".

Quote:
I think Capo, Saddleback, and Irvine most likely have those college placement rates (which doesn't mean anything considering anyone can get into a JC - which is actually a very smart thing to do financially).

Not to make this go off to a private vs public education debate, but a person living in one of those three school districts (not LAUSD) should ask himself, Is the $15K per year (or $180K over 12 years) for private school tuition worth the marginal increase in education a private school might provide over a high performing public school? That is, by investing that $15K per year in the S&P500, when you kid turns 18, that private school money would be worth $287K at 7%, and by letting that money sit until your kid is 65, that private school money is worth about $7M.

Think the private school education is worth that?
Yes it's worth it, if you want your kid to get admission to a high in demand university, and a quality education where they can actually get real interaction with the teacher.

Sure there are schools in Irvine that have high 4 year college placement rates (University High for example) but if you know students who actually attend those schools (and I do), they spend thousands of dollars per year on tutoring, prep classes, and other "outside the classroom" help to make them more competitive for class rank, and eventually as a freshman applicant.

Also, people who live in those districts pay $200,000 more dollars (or more) in housing costs because of how coveted those school zones are. That's why houses in Turtle Ridge costs way more than houses in Anaheim.

You may think you're saving by going to a high demand public high school, but you're really not and you still get the 30+ student classrooms, and politically motivated lesson plans.

Old 02-19-2019, 11:45 AM

Quote:
More like there are 44 different genders, and 150 different pro-nouns. Also, not all private schools are based on "religion".

Yes it's worth it, if you want your kid to get admission to a high in demand university, and a quality education where they can actually get real interaction with the teacher.

Sure there are schools in Irvine that have high 4 year college placement rates (University High for example) but if you know students who actually attend those schools (and I do), they spend thousands of dollars per year on tutoring, prep classes, and other "outside the classroom" help to make them more competitive for class rank, and eventually as a freshman applicant.

Also, people who live in those districts pay $200,000 more dollars (or more) in housing costs because of how coveted those school zones are. That's why houses in Turtle Ridge costs way more than houses in Anaheim.

You may think you're saving by going to a high demand public high school, but you're really not and you still get the 30+ student classrooms, and politically motivated lesson plans.
Right, which is why I didn't use Anaheim or LAUSD as an examples to compare against private.

Another thing to factor is number of kids. If you have a lot of kids, it's very good to think about buying a home in a district loaded with smart kids and go public. On the other hand, if you have only one kid, maybe pay less money for the house in a school district with marginal kids and go private.

There's another one: High demand university. Overrated expense. The person who most benefits from a high demand university is the parent who can brag about it on Facebook.
Also, the choice of major is 69 times more important than the school. An engineering major from Cal State Nowhere will earn a lot more and have many more job opportunities than an Art History major from Harvard - she'll get a job - but it will be putting clothes back on the rack at Ross.

I'll stick with my contention: Private schools in high IQ neighborhoods are a waste of money.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:

There's another one: High demand university. Overrated expense. The person who most benefits from a high demand university is the parent who can brag about it on Facebook.
Also, the choice of major is 69 times more important than the school. An engineering major from Cal State Nowhere will earn a lot more and have many more job opportunities than an Art History major from Harvard - she'll get a job - but it will be putting clothes back on the rack at Ross.
Overrated for you, but it's a fact, engineering grads from MIT, Berkeley, or CMU, are highly coveted by firms because of their educational background, and proven private sector performance. You may think someone from CalState Long Beach might have an equal shot at a high paying job, but all other factors equal, they do not.

Quote:
I'll stick with my contention: Private schools in high IQ neighborhoods are a waste of money.
Again, for you. For those who can actually afford it, and have had children go through a private K-12 track, and now have kids studying Engineering at MIT, or in a pre-med program at Harvard, it was completely worth it for them.

Old 02-19-2019, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Overrated for you, but it's a fact, engineering grads from MIT, Berkeley, or CMU, are highly coveted by firms because of their educational background, and proven private sector performance. You may think someone from CalState Long Beach might have an equal shot at a high paying job, but all other factors equal, they do not.

Again, for you. For those who can actually afford it, and have had children go through a private K-12 track, and now have kids studying Engineering at MIT, or in a pre-med program at Harvard, it was completely worth it for them.
They didn't get into MIT or Harvard because they went to private school. They attended MIT because they're smart. Most kids that attend Harvard attended public school.

Also, the college you attended along with your GPA makes a difference for your first job and that's about it.

Again, are the advantages worth $280K at 18 years old or $7M at 65?

Old 02-19-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
They didn't get into MIT or Harvard because they went to private school. They attended MIT because they're smart.
Sure, they're smart, but is it because they got a better education or something "inherent"? We both know it's the former, not the latter.

Quote:
Most kids that attend Harvard attended public school.
That's because public schools are far more numerous than private schools but proportionately, private school grads have a higher representation than public school grads at all Ivy League schools. Also the fact of the matter is according to US News and Report roughly 95% of non-parochial private high school grads go on to four-year postsecondary institutions compared with 49% of public school grads.

Also some schools like Harvard-Westlake or the Trinity School are basically prep schools for the Ivy Leage and have nearly 100% admissions rates.

Quote:
Also, the college you attended along with your GPA makes a difference for your first job and that's about it.
Not true. A computer engineering grad from MIT has an extremely solid foundation to build upon. Their program is vetted by the best minds in engineering and the private sector itself. There's a reason why their grads have a nearly 100% hire rate after graduation compared to some place like CSU Long Beach.

Quote:
Again, are the advantages worth $280K at 18 years old or $7M at 65?
Same could be said about those who pay $300,000+ more for their house ($7m at 65, more if they took a 30 year mortgage) to Irvine compared to Anaheim. You're acting like the economic realities are vastly different, they aren't.

Old 02-20-2019, 10:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,249,400 times
Quote:
Sure, they're smart, but is it because they got a better education or something "inherent"? We both know it's the former, not the latter.

That's because public schools are far more numerous than private schools but proportionately, private school grads have a higher representation than public school grads at all Ivy League schools. Also the fact of the matter is according to US News and Report roughly 95% of non-parochial private high school grads go on to four-year postsecondary institutions compared with 49% of public school grads.

Also some schools like Harvard-Westlake or the Trinity School are basically prep schools for the Ivy Leage and have nearly 100% admissions rates.

Not true. A computer engineering grad from MIT has an extremely solid foundation to build upon. Their program is vetted by the best minds in engineering and the private sector itself. There's a reason why their grads have a nearly 100% hire rate after graduation compared to some place like CSU Long Beach.

Same could be said about those who pay $300,000+ more for their house ($7m at 65, more if they took a 30 year mortgage) to Irvine compared to Anaheim. You're acting like the economic realities are vastly different, they aren't.
While the quality of the school has a major impact on eventual job placement and income, the quality of the students on a personal level is very important for the type of person your child will become. Public schools unfortunately have many not very good students/people attending them and that impacts the students forced to associate with them for 12 years. You can be smart, but still be doing stupid things. Public schools are more inclined to doing stupid things with other students and the standards of conduct at public schools is basement rated.

Old 02-20-2019, 11:29 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,263,886 times
Hey, FullBloodedWhiteMale, how about not resurrecting old topics?

The OP asked this topic in September and hasn't been back since then. Obviously they got the answers they needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County