Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2018, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 8,822 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My name is Brian and ill be relocating from Texas to Aliso Viejo soon for a job at John Wayne Airport. I settled on Aliso Viejo to live at because it was the most affordable for a 1 bed 1 bath relatively nearby that wasnt in Skid row. (i can only afford 1800/ month), I had a very hard time finding places in Irvine, Costa Mesa and even Tustin. I haven't applied to the apartment at Aliso Viejo yet, because im concerned about the commute time and potential expense of the CA-73 toll road. I know traffic in OC can be very bad, and ill probably starting my day at 0500 (my job start it at 0700AM). Im not so concerned about the return trip.

I've been told that on the CA-73 just about any time of the day i can make it to JWA airport in 15 minutes or so. I tried looking at Fast Trak to find what the average cost would be if i take that to go to work and comeback, but the price schedules are confusing and not easy to find, at least for me, a person not familiar with tolls. The other option i see is to take the CA-133 to the 405, this im told takes about 30 minutes with no traffic. Also not sure if the 133 from Aliso Viejo to the 405 is a toll portion or not.

What im concerned about is 1) are the Toll roads worth the price and time saved? and 2) By not taking the toll how bad is the commute time during rush hour? Am i looking at 1Hr or more?

Thank you ind advance for any information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2018, 05:46 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
The 133 to the 405 is not a toll road. If I were you and would need to arrive at the airport at 7 am, I would not be paying for the toll road in the morning. Traffic is not normally a problem at 6 or 6:30 am, so you'd only save 5 or maybe 10 minutes by taking the toll road. Not worth it in my opinion.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:23 PM

585 posts, read 633,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
The 133 to the 405 is not a toll road. If I were you and would need to arrive at the airport at 7 am, I would not be paying for the toll road in the morning. Traffic is not normally a problem at 6 or 6:30 am, so you'd only save 5 or maybe 10 minutes by taking the toll road. Not worth it in my opinion.
This^

JWA to A.V. is not a bad commute at all. Even in the summer time, you would be going opposite the traffic on the 133 (The stretch of the 133 you will be driving is also known as Laguna Canyon Rd, or more locally, "The Canyon"). You'd be going home toward Laguna Beach on that stretch when all the beach goers would be going out the canyon away from Laguna Beach.

If there is something unusual going on (road-closing crash in the Canyon), then take the toll road instead. I take it on occasion. It's about $4. each way. Depends on traffic and if I have an appointment after work to get to. I work about 1 mile from JWA, and I live further than Aliso, near Laguna Niguel.

It is a very good and fast-moving toll road. I have a Fasttrak transponder attached to my windshield with velcro strips. Every month or two or three (depending on how much I use the toll road), they reach into my bank account or zap my credit card to replenish my fasttrak account with $50 so there is always money in the fasttrak account.

Agree that you would usually take Laguna Canyon Rd (state route 133) from Aliso Viejo to the 405 North. Then another 20 minutes (less at the time of morning you would be commuting). Get off on MacArthur, go 100 feet north to Main St., turn left on Main St. to the JWA employee parking. They have a shuttle bus that takes employees the 5 minutes to the airport terminals. It is not a big airport (Terminals A through C) so it's not like you got to find your way around O'Hare or LAX.

Reverse course to go home in the afternoon.

On the 405 there are only a few exits between you and your destination: 133, Sand/Shady Canyon, Jeffrey, Culver, Jamboree, MacArthur.

There are segments of the toll road that do not cost anything. You will figure them out. You do not have to pay to ride the toll road from Laguna Canyon to the first off ramp (El Toro Rd) in Aliso Viejo, for instance. It really simplifies your drive home. The 133 does not cost any tolls at all until you get north of the 5 freeway. Everything below that, including the 405 and the Barranca Pkwy exit are no charge.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-22-2018, 07:53 PM

29 posts, read 34,413 times
AV is a nice area. You'll like it there, more than you would Tustin or CM.

Old 10-22-2018, 08:49 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,682,713 times
OP, here's a drone's eye-view of Aliso Viejo:

THIS IS ALISO VIEJO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISgGMqlB4W4

Old 10-22-2018, 09:09 PM

13 posts, read 20,250 times
In the mornings 133 & 405 is basically a parking lot but at 5am it won't be bad. You're probably looking at a 15-20 minutes.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:50 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,118 times
The toll is $7+, not $4. Before 6:30AM you don't need to use the toll road. Even at peak hours the commute isn't that bad to and from AV.

Old 10-24-2018, 04:40 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,498,663 times
At 5 am you won’t have much traffic. Unless a wrecked car accident happens and even then 1070AM has traffic updates and you can get a traffic app. There are a lot of places around JWA that aren’t “skid row”. Sorry but I gotta lol at the skid row comment.
On the way home you’ll have traffic if you leave at 5 pm. That’s the middle of rush hour.
Dude trust me you don’t eanna work too far from home. My commute last night was 3:20 minutes. Live as close to work as you can.
I’m looking to eventually do a transfer to another location closer to home if something opens up.

Old 11-09-2018, 12:51 PM

Thank you all for your advice. I feel a bit better now about living in AV. I'm moved in now, and will do a few dry runs before i start work. I did get a transponder just in case of accidents, but the 73 seems pricey (i took it without the transponder before i got it and it was $8 something one way ). Thank you again

Old 11-09-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
At 5 am you won’t have much traffic. Unless a wrecked car accident happens and even then 1070AM has traffic updates and you can get a traffic app. There are a lot of places around JWA that aren’t “skid row”. Sorry but I gotta lol at the skid row comment.
On the way home you’ll have traffic if you leave at 5 pm. That’s the middle of rush hour.
Dude trust me you don’t eanna work too far from home. My commute last night was 3:20 minutes. Live as close to work as you can.
I’m looking to eventually do a transfer to another location closer to home if something opens up.
I didnt mean that areas near JWA are skid row, i meant i CANT AFFORD to pay for apartments in the area that arent skid row apartments. I noticed that in Irvine, Costa mesa and tustin its hard to get any apartment that isnt a dump for less than $1,700 per month.

I didnt have time to really search other housing options like duplex or house rentals.

sorry if i offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County