Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 09:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,639,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amokk View Post

Happened this morning.
There's a security video of the crime, but the person who did it was wearing a hoodie and a surgical mask to hide his identity. The video is at the bottom of this article:

Irvine synagogue vandalized early Wednesday morning; police investigating as a hate crime
http://www.ocregister.com/2018/10/31...tuesday-night/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 12:12 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,265,003 times
No offense to anyone not from OC, but you don't know the situation locally. For some reason OC has long had a skin head problem. The OP is anything, but an alarmist.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:41 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,664,722 times
That’s news for me, but what do I know. I only live here 45 years.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:06 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,254,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
That’s news for me, but what do I know. I only live here 45 years.
This surprised me and I lived in OC for most of the 50 plus years I lived in CA.

"According to the 2017 Hate Crimes Report released by Santa Ana-based OC Human Relations, a nonprofit that partners with the county’s Human Relations Commission, 56 hate crimes and 94 hate incidents were reported countywide in 2017."

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/2...ate-incidents-increase-in-orange-country-for-third-year-in-a-row/

Old 11-01-2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboned View Post
And you never knew that OC was a hotbed for white nationalists and skinhead groups?
I don’t trust people with 5 posts, if that’s what you mean.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
This surprised me and I lived in OC for most of the 50 plus years I lived in CA.

"According to the 2017 Hate Crimes Report released by Santa Ana-based OC Human Relations, a nonprofit that partners with the county’s Human Relations Commission, 56 hate crimes and 94 hate incidents were reported countywide in 2017."

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/09/2...ate-incidents-increase-in-orange-country-for-third-year-in-a-row/
You have hate crime anywhere in any county. But I did some googling and this is the only thing popped up recently. The guy is from Stockton, I believe that, that’s where I would expect some of these people are from. OC is very expensive. Skin heads might not be able to afford to live here. It’s evidence now that I retire. There’s not a single soul here in day time. Everybody’s busy earning a living to live here.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/...ity-clearance/

Old 11-01-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramboned View Post
You don't have to trust me. In fact I would rather you do your own research and actually learn something new.

Also, not that it has anything to do with the validity of a comment, but the person that originally said OC has skinheads has been a member here since 2012. Which is longer than you have. So now what?
I did, nothing popped up. There might be event in OC that they showed up, but they are not from here. But so are the Hell Angels.

Old 11-01-2018, 04:57 PM

9,734 posts, read 7,555,940 times
I only lived in OC for 12 years and I was aware of the skinhead problem. Once I was at the OC courthouse and had to ride up in the elevator with a scary group of them who were at a fellow member's murder trial.

Then again, there are people that want to stir things up. I remember the college professor years ago who vandalized her own car with racist comments.

Old 11-01-2018, 05:10 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,133,793 times
in HB in the 90's the Main st area was known to have a lot of skin heads. I don't know if they dressed like that to look cool or if they actually did any beat downs or vandalism on the usual people or places. Now that area is known for homeless and meth heads. If there are still skin heads I would imagine they would be there instead of say Garden Grove or Irvine

Old 11-01-2018, 09:36 PM

823 posts, read 1,771,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You have hate crime anywhere in any county. But I did some googling and this is the only thing popped up recently. The guy is from Stockton, I believe that, that’s where I would expect some of these people are from. OC is very expensive. Skin heads might not be able to afford to live here. It’s evidence now that I retire. There’s not a single soul here in day time. Everybody’s busy earning a living to live here.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/07/...ity-clearance/
I don't know any skinheads, but I'm sure there are some affluent ones. You guys remember the African American family of four who were forced out of Yorba Linda? Two police officer parents, mind you.

Black family reports hate crimes in Yorba Linda - latimes

Skinheads or just plain racists are very much alive (and hidden) in OC.

As for the original question--I'm not Jewish, but I do think about something happening to me (intended or not) or to people I know. We have security guards at my big church, but I can see a shooting happening there. Or at my kids' school. The way things are now, I think we are all at risk.

I did read, though, that crimes against Jews are up. Unless you are at a synagogue or are outwardly identifying yourself as Jewish, I suspect that many of us would not be able to identify those who are Jewish.

I'm not scared, but I try to be aware of my surroundings and try to plan for the unexpected. Don't let your guard down, but I hope you're feeling less antsy about this.

Blessings...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County