Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 03:16 AM

619 posts, read 2,167,939 times

Advertisements

Soccer and Escape....OMG WELL SAID!!!...OC ppl have only and ONLY one argument for paying such high price to live in OC, AND THAT ARGUMENT IS....WEATHER!!!....gimme a break...lol...weather is a very weak argument when it comes down to sooo much stress and sweat and...work... just to look cool LIVING IN OC !!!
IMHO Texas offers the best package overall: economy and extreamly affordable housing....yeah I know.....humidity....so what?....gimme humidity all day over $5,000-$6000 a month morgages in OC...NOW, BEAT THAT ARGUMENT!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 06:13 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
The real estate business likes to say that the value of a home nearly doubles every 10 years. That's nearly a 7% rate of return. That sounds OK but for a few things. Say you're paying 6% on your mortgage and 1% on taxes. Where's your gain now? Don't forget maintenance. In the LOOOOOONG run, real estate does well. But you're going to have to live there a long time and pay it off before you really get ahead. And how do you pay it off when the interest alone consumes 50% of your gross income. Just because that in Irvine making $82k/yr got a loan for $600K+ doesn't mean he can really afford it. He's under the gun every month to make the mortgage. And most likely, his wife is working full time too. Any interruption in either of their incomes and they're going to start digging a hole they'll never get out of. Meanwhile, the average family in your neighborhood in Texas can do more with their money than feed the mortgage beast. Even if a house in Irvine is a good investment in the long run how many financial planners would advise you to put 50% of your gross income into a single investment that has such high carrying costs, low liquidity, and terrible divisibility?
I agree completely. I purchased my home in Irvine back in 1980. Even though I had taken a lot of money out over the years for 2 additions, college for the kids, etc.. my payment for a 4 bedroom 2-3/4 bath house with a media room was less than a 2 bedroom apartment still. I don't know how young families do it today.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
Soccer and Escape....OMG WELL SAID!!!...OC ppl have only and ONLY one argument for paying such high price to live in OC, AND THAT ARGUMENT IS....WEATHER!!!....gimme a break...lol...weather is a very weak argument when it comes down to sooo much stress and sweat and...work... just to look cool LIVING IN OC !!!
IMHO Texas offers the best package overall: economy and extreamly affordable housing....yeah I know.....humidity....so what?....gimme humidity all day over $5,000-$6000 a month morgages in OC...NOW, BEAT THAT ARGUMENT!!
How about mortgage free and money in the bank in TX?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:15 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
yea, but then you're in texas.. which is why most of us are going to colorado!

Old 04-15-2008, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
yea, but then you're in texas.. which is why most of us are going to colorado!
Texas was our choice because our oldest daughter is here with our first grandchild. Are most of the people leaving CA moving to Colorado? I think you might be mistaken. No big deal though, the fact is that they are leaving. Just too darn expensive for most.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:36 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,761,775 times
most? i dunno.. but the frontrange cities(denver, boulder, col springs, etc) seem to be fairly popular for ex-pat californians. i know of about 5 or 6 current forum users that are in the same process i am, moving from orange county to the denver area

Old 04-15-2008, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
most? i dunno.. but the frontrange cities(denver, boulder, col springs, etc) seem to be fairly popular for ex-pat californians. i know of about 5 or 6 current forum users that are in the same process i am, moving from orange county to the denver area
Denver and the surrounding area is beautiful. I would have preferred the cold of Colorado to the heat we will have in TX, but not the snow. My wife loves the heat so we know who won that fight.

Many years back when Colorado had its' first major influx of Californians it was not so popular to be a Californian in Colorado. I know, my brother moved there and I visited him a few times. I hope the Californians moving there this time do a better job of fitting in.

Where we moved to in TX there seem to be as many people not from TX as there is from TX. The good thing is that the vast majority of people we have met are as happy as can be which affirms to us that we made the right choice.

Good luck on your move, Colorado has some beautiful country, enjoy it.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:33 AM

2 posts, read 6,124 times
Default Still Looking?

If you are still looking for a home any in Southern California i can help. Please let me know

Old 05-09-2008, 08:56 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,100,711 times
I've been watching the market along the coast in Orange County because once our home sells in Texas, we are moving back.

This is a link that was on the Orange County Register. It tells you the percentage of home sales and median prices for the different areas. It is current and I thought it would be very helpful to people looking at different cities such that of Irvine in OC.

It changes all the time but after watching it for awhile you will get an idea on what different cities are doing. You can go back a few months from there and look and compare then keep up with it in the future. There are other sites I like to use myself too.

Money: Zip head for late April here | median, http, sales, www, ocregister - OCRegister.com

I would love to live in Newport Coast myself but the prices are continuing to go up!!!!! It looks like we might be completely priced out of that town.

So to the "OP", try and find as much information on Irvine home sales and study it the best you can. With the internet, that should be pretty easy. Irvine has several different zip codes and they are all doing different things, so study by the zip code/area that you want. (Some zip codes I see in Irvine have actually gone up.)

We will rent first ourselves and that's so we can get a better feel for the various towns along the coast before we buy.

Good luck!!!

Last edited by Roma; 05-09-2008 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: as usual... spelling!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County