Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 01:25 AM

4 posts, read 6,799 times

Advertisements

Hi, We're considering buying a home in Niguel Shores in Dana Point. We are liberal, in our mid-60's and very active in typical water sports, tennis, and cycling. I'm wondering how we will fit in with the community there. Are people friendly? Easy going? Very conservative, too conservative? We would buy there for the amenities but want it to be a community we can relate to.
Thanks in advance for any insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 AM

252 posts, read 422,620 times
First of all, i do not care what your political affiliation is, and we do not base our lives on Washington D.C.
or political choices.

We live across from Niguel Shores at the Monarch Beach Villas Apts. And we love living here, and would
like to share with you why, and what to do, experience, and how we relate with the people here in Dana Point.

1. We can walk to Salt Creek Beach Park and the Beach in about 5 minutes. There is beautiful Salt Creek Beach
Park, with a large green grass area, bbq pavillions, and view of the ocean.

2. There are two parallel trails bordering the beach, with views of the surfers, and the beach goers. Salt Creek is
a very nice beach, and there are a couple of concession stands, and comfort station. There is board, body surfing, and boogie boarding, as well a walking along the entire shore line, or just soaking up the rays from your sand chair.

3. . You can walk/hike to and along the beach, and /or up the Salt Creek Trail inland and along the golf course and lush
small valley that leads to the ocean, and then back home.

3. Also, between Niguel Shores and the Beach there is a deli, bar, and bakery .

4. The Dana Point Library is just a 2 minute walk from your Niguel Shores Security Gate.

5. You can also bike to the Beach, local trails, and parks. Plus, many bike trails on our wilderness areas.

6. Also, you can easily walk across Niguel , past the Library, to Sea Terrace Park, Very nice, and bring
your sand/beach chair, and enjoy the FREE CONCERTS IN THE PARK, on Sundays during the summer.
They have some small concession and information tents set up as well. Wide open free .

7. Cycling, you can bike not only our local trails and along the beach, but ride down to Dana Point Harbor Marina.
Ride along the docks, and slips , and even bring a picnic lunch as the have bbq's, tables, etc, overlooking the
boats. We walk . hike it, only about a 5 mile R/T, and stop at one of our fave hangs for lunch and libation, or
grub and grog . And bike the salt creek trail .... easy.

Many restaurants and bars, located in the harbor marina, from long time beach style hangs, like Turks, to more
upscale like : Harpoon Henry's, the Harbor Grille, El Torito, Jimmy's All American Tavern, The Brig for breakfast,
the Wind and Sea. and Bloody Mary's. Plus, a few more.

In the Lantern District, and within a couple minutes or so drive, some other faves:

Lucianas, Jacks, Two Left Forks ( PCH), Carlos Mexican Restaurant.

And just up the street, inland, is Brio Tuscany and Stella's in the Monarch bay plaza shopping center. ( 2 min drive )

Not to mention, some very nice restaurants in San Juan Capistrano, about a 10 minute drive. Very easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want more outdoor leg stretching "

Plenty of hiking trails, and wilderness areas. Just a few minutes drive, from along the coast to inland.

* Also , there is a tennis club just up the street on Niguel, walk or drive.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________

We just returned back to Orange County from 10 wonderful years living on Kauai Island, HI.

Dana Point was our choice, and we love it here.

We respect everyone, and enjoy meeting new people . Never do we talk about politics at any time
to anyone. We base our lives on respect, friendship, and sharing. Actually living Aloha.

Perfect place for us.

We also are very active, work out at our fitness center here at the Villas, and at home, and hike, and sail,
and travel, stay cations here up to our mountains, and out to our deserts, and also annual bare boat sailing
vacations to the caribbean, or south pacific.

We base nothing on politics, we vote, and that is that.

cannot answer your conservative questions, since we base our lives on being respectful and sharing all kinds of
of adventure tales, and ideas and easy friendships .

So, there you go, the above is our life style here in Dana Point, and actually every where we travel.

Welcome to Dana Point

Denny and Erica

Old 03-25-2019, 08:37 PM

Denny and Erica, Thank you for your detailed and thoughtful answer.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:56 PM

585 posts, read 634,549 times
sslinden,

I have lived in Niguel Shores since 2002. It is an amazing community!

I know very few who are not thrilled to death to be here. Everyone is living a paradise-like lifestyle. The community was built in the early 70's, but the facilities and people's homes have largely been and are kept updated.

I do not play tennis or pickle ball, but we have 8 tennis courts and are converting some to pickle ball. We have a one-acre park with sand volleyball, handball, playground equipment and grassy areas. There is also a recently renovated junior-olympic pool, very large hot tub, saunas, locker rooms, club house, and association staff building.

We do not hire outside management companies. We have our own in-house employees (5) plus in-house maintenance staff (3 I think). We do contract for our guard service. We have a guarded gate house and a roving guard 24/7. We have a private 2-lane road bridge over PCH, and an amazing beach bluff. In fact, the beach bluff has been expanded and is a very popular sunset gathering place for grilling, eating, and saluting the sunset with an adult beverage (or two) of your choice.

There are many clubs and organizations, mostly all volunteer-run. We enjoy a populace with an educated and experienced background. A Retired L.A. Sheriff's Sergeant runs the Traffic and Safety Committee, retired CPAs are on the Finance Committee, there are social and recreation committees, and a multitude of volunteer opportunities. The Recreation Committee brings bands, DJs, and even the In & Out truck down to the beach bluff all summer long. You get ALL of these amenities, including private parking at the bluff (which takes less than 50 steps to the sand at Strands Beach) for a whopping HOA of under $300/month. I have belonged to HOAs where I did not even get a pool for more than that per month. I am proud of the HOA, it is very well run, fiscally very strong, and has a robust long-term plan.

The population tends to skew toward the "active retired" and there are many who walk, run, swim (both laps and open-ocean), cycle, etc. on a daily basis. You are pretty much the exact demographic of Niguel Shores.

The people come from all walks of life, both conservative and liberal. I am very conservative, and one of my very best friends in the Shores is a very liberal, pony-tail having former university administrator. The population is largely Caucasian, but we do have residents of all walks of life here. I am part of a mixed-ethnicity couple myself. I think you will discover your fear of fitting-in is unwarranted. The residents tend to skew toward educated professionals.

Kauai Dooley is a very big proponent of Dana Point, and has pointed out far more than I could about the area. I am focusing on specifics of Niguel Shores.

If I can be of any other assistance, or answer any other questions, please feel free to ask me.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:20 AM

Wow !

Joe, Niguel Shores is absolutely outstanding in all categories. As soon as Erica blinks 'em open, and has
her cuppa, I am going to read your email describing Niguel Shores . You have a fantastic place to live.

Excellent !

SS, When are you moving in ?

Just FYI, as to our back grounds, and meeting interesting people here in Dana Point, and South Orange County.

Myself, about 40 years, Professional commercial pilot, flight Instructor, Charter Pilot, and Corporate Pilot, and the last
17 years before I retired, an Instructor Pilot for Air Combat U.S.A , 5 an 6 G dog dogfights. 2500 missions.

Also, a U.S.C.G Merchant Marine Capt, for vessels up to 500 tons, Sailing and Motor Vessel instructor,
Charter Capt, Flotilla Leader, and Delivery Skipper. Areas...Australia, Tahiti, Tonga, Mexico, Much of the Caribbean,
Ireland and Greece and the Calif Coast and Channel Islands.

Erica is a retied M.D, , supervising three different L.A. County Health Dept. Clinics. She is also a private pilot and Aerobatic pilot. She loves sailing as well and is a highly qualified skipper for sailing vessels up to 46 ft. She has sailed
the islands and countries noted above, as well.

We have been living an adventurous live together for 35 years, flying, sailing, SCUBA diving, snorkeling, kayaking, white water rafting, etc. plus still working out and staying fit, and add in sky diving and snow skiiing for Erica.

Point being, there are all kinds of fun and positive and interesting people to meet here in Dana Point, from all walks of
life, and cultures. It is very rewarding interacting , and you can keep the fun meter pegged on a daily basis.

People sometimes ask us how we enjoy living in Dana Point, after living on Kauai for a decade.

I tell them, we loved kauai very much, and still do, but we also love living
in Dana Point, and the people here have Aloha, and don't even realize it.

We have found our new home area,( coming on 5 yrs ), and plan to be here until they scatter the ashes.

SS, again, welcome to Dana Point and South County.

Life is an adventure,

Denny and Erica

Old 03-26-2019, 10:17 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,936,058 times
Is Niguel Shores where they have the Marina, and that museum? Its a nice place.

Old 03-27-2019, 07:18 AM

NJ

Actually, the marina is DANA POINT MARINA, and that is also where the Ocean Institute is located. You have a
good memory.

Niguel Shores, is just a bit up from Pacific Coast Hwy, and Niguel Road, and less than 2 miles from the Dana Point Marina.

You can drive it in about five plus minutes, or walk / hike from Niguel Shores.....maybe about 30 plus minutes
since L.S. has access to Selva Beach and the Strand area. They are a little shorter distance to Dana Point
Marina and Harbor than we are.

Sometimes, when we feel like hiking the headlands above Dana Point, and on down to Dana Point Marina,
we will drive to the public parking lot area above Selva Beach. Keeps us off the cement side walk , and the cars
whizzing by on Coast Hwy.

You are right on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, it really is a " nice place " .

Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 PM

3,269 posts, read 3,930,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslinden View Post
What are the people like at Niguel Shores in Dana Point?
Most of them have two eyes, two ears, two arms, and two legs. Pretty standard stuff.

Old 03-31-2019, 09:59 AM

585 posts, read 634,549 times
:-(. Always a bit disappointing when people put time and effort into their posts, and the O.P. never returns.

Replying posters generally want a bit of closure or satisfaction that the O.P. for whom they wrote their response actually read them and may have found them helpful.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:07 PM

Hi Joe,
I just got a notice today that there were more replies since the first one from Denny and Erica. So sorry for the delay but I had no idea there was an entire thread going on. I really do appreciate all the information and effort that you and others have taken to give me a great picture of life in Niguel Shores and Dana Point. I don't know when we will find the right house, hopefully soon.
Thanks again,
Sandi
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County