U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM

247 posts, read 202,386 times

Advertisements

We also like the beach cities, and liked Dana Point so much, we moved there, after 10 years on Kauai Island, HI.

We like non pretentious places, friendly people, easy going atmoshphere, great food, and just a feel good experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Point harbor, an easy walk along the marina and checking out the many boats in their slips.

They have several restaurants some are on the water or overlooking the marina.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are also two really neat dining experiences up on the bluffs, overlooking the harbor and coastline. Very special.

Our FAVES:

Up on the bluffs.....( You can google what ever choice might feel good to you )

CANNONS...From up on high, .Dining room or lounge, great views of Dana Point Harbor Marina, and the ocean and coastline. We like early but that is us . After a nice stroll along the docks. Drive the scenic harboer drive and up Cove Road, Early, so you can be there a while before sunset.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Harbor.....also after a walk along the boats, and browse the shops. Very pleasant easy, and can be very short if required. There are several other choices, Bloody Mary's and Watermans, both on the water.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other major faves :HARBOR GRILLE : In the Marina: Best seafood in Orange County....excellent and friendly service. Live piano player presenting mild dinner music. Very nice. Also have a small bar if you get there early. Outstanding. A happy dining experience for the family. ( make sure it is the one IN THE DANA POINT MARINA ) .

HARPOON HENRY'S : Also in the Marina, with nice views of the slips and boats. Great food, and very happy and friendly service, and music in the lounge and bar area. The dining room has the views. Also, they have different happy hours, so you can check into that as well. Nautical motife, named after Richard Henry Dana, ( Two years before the mast ). Pleasant ambiance, and all round good experience .

Downstairs is a coffee house, bakery and ice creame parlor, and eat outside onn the patio....view. Spoil yourselves as you wish. Breakfast, lunch, and late afternoon , early evening.

Another place in the harbor, across the road from the Marina Restaurants.

JIMMY;s, GREAT ALL AMERICAN TAVERN.....Very pleasant, with great ambiance, great food and drinks, and super service.
It really is not a Tavern.... but they do have a marvelous bar, as well as dining areas along the windows. Quality everything, with casual class. Relaxing, yet positive easy going energy.

These places are all withing walking distance of each other. But, Jimmy's has its own huge parking lot. Point being the
area if the Marina is very special for us....any time of day . Although some places open about 4:30pm others are
open for lunch, or earlier.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Point Harbor also has park like picnic areas and bbq's, other eateries that I have not mentioned, neat little mom and pop type shops, a Wine tasting store, fish market, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also have more inland favorites, in Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente.

Every Saturday night, is DATE NIGHT, so we continually swap around area to area.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Point Lantern District faves

LUCIANAS, wonderful Italian restaurant, very cozy and comfortable, great every thing.

JACK'S is also a fave , about 2 minutes walk between them, on Del Prado.

JACKS has a nice bar, before dinner libations, warm and toasty atmosphere, very friendly and fun staff,and of course excellent diner selections.

The above are just a part of living in south county such a special experience...

just our personal take on great places to eat and frequent and enjoy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2019, 10:02 AM

20,638 posts, read 20,221,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kauaidooley View Post
We also like the beach cities, and liked Dana Point so much, we moved there, after 10 years on Kauai Island, HI.

We like non pretentious places, friendly people, easy going atmoshphere, great food, and just a feel good experience.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Point harbor, an easy walk along the marina and checking out the many boats in their slips.

They have several restaurants some are on the water or overlooking the marina.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There are also two really neat dining experiences up on the bluffs, overlooking the harbor and coastline. Very special.

Our FAVES:

Up on the bluffs.....( You can google what ever choice might feel good to you )

CANNONS...From up on high, .Dining room or lounge, great views of Dana Point Harbor Marina, and the ocean and coastline. We like early but that is us . After a nice stroll along the docks. Drive the scenic harboer drive and up Cove Road, Early, so you can be there a while before sunset.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the Harbor.....also after a walk along the boats, and browse the shops. Very pleasant easy, and can be very short if required. There are several other choices, Bloody Mary's and Watermans, both on the water.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other major faves :HARBOR GRILLE : In the Marina: Best seafood in Orange County....excellent and friendly service. Live piano player presenting mild dinner music. Very nice. Also have a small bar if you get there early. Outstanding. A happy dining experience for the family. ( make sure it is the one IN THE DANA POINT MARINA ) .

HARPOON HENRY'S : Also in the Marina, with nice views of the slips and boats. Great food, and very happy and friendly service, and music in the lounge and bar area. The dining room has the views. Also, they have different happy hours, so you can check into that as well. Nautical motife, named after Richard Henry Dana, ( Two years before the mast ). Pleasant ambiance, and all round good experience .

Downstairs is a coffee house, bakery and ice creame parlor, and eat outside onn the patio....view. Spoil yourselves as you wish. Breakfast, lunch, and late afternoon , early evening.

Another place in the harbor, across the road from the Marina Restaurants.

JIMMY;s, GREAT ALL AMERICAN TAVERN.....Very pleasant, with great ambiance, great food and drinks, and super service.
It really is not a Tavern.... but they do have a marvelous bar, as well as dining areas along the windows. Quality everything, with casual class. Relaxing, yet positive easy going energy.

These places are all withing walking distance of each other. But, Jimmy's has its own huge parking lot. Point being the
area if the Marina is very special for us....any time of day . Although some places open about 4:30pm others are
open for lunch, or earlier.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Point Harbor also has park like picnic areas and bbq's, other eateries that I have not mentioned, neat little mom and pop type shops, a Wine tasting store, fish market, etc.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We also have more inland favorites, in Dana Point, San Juan Capistrano, and San Clemente.

Every Saturday night, is DATE NIGHT, so we continually swap around area to area.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dana Point Lantern District faves

LUCIANAS, wonderful Italian restaurant, very cozy and comfortable, great every thing.

JACK'S is also a fave , about 2 minutes walk between them, on Del Prado.

JACKS has a nice bar, before dinner libations, warm and toasty atmosphere, very friendly and fun staff,and of course excellent diner selections.

The above are just a part of living in south county such a special experience...

just our personal take on great places to eat and frequent and enjoy.

This is great! I looked up all the restaurants mentioned and it will be hard which ones to pick haha. Thanks a lot, I will make sure we walk around the area and try out a restaurant or two mentioned.

Old 11-24-2019, 01:15 AM

16,578 posts, read 4,599,276 times
Former Newport Beach and Irvine resident here. Off the top of my head, I can think of two places that I haven't seen mentioned so far:

1. (if you get a clear day weather wise)....Alta Laguna Park in Laguna Beach (aka Top of the World park)...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/alta-laguna...ent=world_park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_World_(park)

You can also stop by the side of the road on the drive up there and take even more photos.

2. Fashion Island in Newport Beach....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_Island

Old 11-24-2019, 09:47 AM

121 posts, read 326,200 times
My two favorite spots in Orange County:

The grounds and beach at the Montage Hotel.

The Beachcomber restaurant at Crystal Cove. Great food(breakfast & lunch), right on the sand.

Old 11-24-2019, 10:24 AM

5,647 posts, read 9,490,244 times
You mentioned you're half-Asian. You know how important FOOD are to Asians.

I would take them to all good Asian food places, not just restaurants but also grocery stores, in Irvine and the little Saigon in Westminister. For example, the Korean supermarket called H-mart, I guarantee they will be fully impressed on how fresh and inexpensive the food are.

Also I know this is not OC but only a short drive north to essentially a Chinatown/ Koreatown in Rowland Heights/ Diamond Bar area. Coming from out of State, it's good to show them a great collection of what we have in SoCal.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:10 AM

10,139 posts, read 15,085,199 times
Go for a nice stroll in downtown Laguna, then walk up to Heisler Park on PCH and take in the beautiful landscaping.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Former Newport Beach and Irvine resident here. Off the top of my head, I can think of two places that I haven't seen mentioned so far:

1. (if you get a clear day weather wise)....Alta Laguna Park in Laguna Beach (aka Top of the World park)...

https://www.yelp.com/biz/alta-laguna...ent=world_park

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_of_the_World_(park)

You can also stop by the side of the road on the drive up there and take even more photos.

2. Fashion Island in Newport Beach....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fashion_Island

Both look great! Thanks, I will definitely go there.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarinalex View Post
My two favorite spots in Orange County:

The grounds and beach at the Montage Hotel.

The Beachcomber restaurant at Crystal Cove. Great food(breakfast & lunch), right on the sand.

It looks beautiful, thank you. And the beignets look amazing!

Old 11-28-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
You mentioned you're half-Asian. You know how important FOOD are to Asians.

I would take them to all good Asian food places, not just restaurants but also grocery stores, in Irvine and the little Saigon in Westminister. For example, the Korean supermarket called H-mart, I guarantee they will be fully impressed on how fresh and inexpensive the food are.

Also I know this is not OC but only a short drive north to essentially a Chinatown/ Koreatown in Rowland Heights/ Diamond Bar area. Coming from out of State, it's good to show them a great collection of what we have in SoCal.

Yes haha! We actually are in NYC right now doing a last minute food trip. I love H Mart and will definitely be eating all day long. It's one of the main reasons for wanting to move there. I've never been to the Koreatown/Chinatown in OC, I've only gone to the one near downtown LA, so I'll check it out for sure, thank you.

Old 11-28-2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teckeeee View Post
Go for a nice stroll in downtown Laguna, then walk up to Heisler Park on PCH and take in the beautiful landscaping.

Thanks Teckeeee!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or