Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2020, 04:52 AM

24 posts, read 23,312 times

Advertisements

My husband finally accepted a job offer in Costa Mesa, CA and we will be moving in 6-8 months. Thankfully the company agreed for us to stay in Atlanta and finish up the school year. . I already know CA is v v expensive than GA, we are fine with it. This move is a little personal as my only sister lives in Bay Area and we can visit more often and not sit on plane for 5hrs. We have 2 kids - 7 and 12. 12yr old is my non-verbal daughter and we want my nephews to know her better as she grows and my son to have cousins closer than the other side of the US.

My daughter is in 6th grade currently. She uses an AAC device for her needs and wants. Georgia doesn’t do inclusion in schools, so she attends a class that is moderate with 7 other kids with same dynamics.

Apart from academics, they have started teaching her life skills at school. For example - They teach them how to shred, deliver mail within school, use vending machine, brush after lunch, laundry, load/unload dishwasher. They have weekly community based learning where they go to restaurants like Burger King or ihop and order from menu (via device), go to Kroger shopping and purchase a snack etc

Based on the above, are there middle schools with similar programs in Irvine? She gets OT - 45 min, Speech 90 min and PT - 30 min weekly and APE - 45 min everyday.

I keep reading east side and west side, what’s the difference? Which places in OC should we target to live that can accommodate her needs? She is very good with her AAC, so need a class that can help her with communication too. She will not do good if it’s a class focused only in academics. She needs structure and a curriculum. She was in an Autism classroom for elementary. She is not autistic but thrives in learning in a structured way. She is just amazing! ❤️

I also have a 7yr old NT son. Need a neighborhood with good schools that can accommodate both. I am hoping, they will bus kids if the schools cannot provide what she needs?

Can someone here please suggest schools, therapists, pediatrician neighborhoods etc?? Leaning towards Irvine as lot of people here mentioned it has great schools.

Thank you very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 05:01 PM

1,500 posts, read 886,459 times
Default Bay Area is far away...you will betraying 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlime View Post
My husband finally accepted a job offer in Costa Mesa, CA and we will be moving in 6-8 months. Thankfully the company agreed for us to stay in Atlanta and finish up the school year. . I already know CA is v v expensive than GA, we are fine with it. This move is a little personal as my only sister lives in Bay Area and we can visit more often and not sit on plane for 5hrs. We have 2 kids - 7 and 12. 12yr old is my non-verbal daughter and we want my nephews to know her better as she grows and my son to have cousins closer than the other side of the US.

My daughter is in 6th grade currently. She uses an AAC device for her needs and wants. Georgia doesn’t do inclusion in schools, so she attends a class that is moderate with 7 other kids with same dynamics.

Apart from academics, they have started teaching her life skills at school. For example - They teach them how to shred, deliver mail within school, use vending machine, brush after lunch, laundry, load/unload dishwasher. They have weekly community based learning where they go to restaurants like Burger King or ihop and order from menu (via device), go to Kroger shopping and purchase a snack etc

Based on the above, are there middle schools with similar programs in Irvine? She gets OT - 45 min, Speech 90 min and PT - 30 min weekly and APE - 45 min everyday.

I keep reading east side and west side, what’s the difference? Which places in OC should we target to live that can accommodate her needs? She is very good with her AAC, so need a class that can help her with communication too. She will not do good if it’s a class focused only in academics. She needs structure and a curriculum. She was in an Autism classroom for elementary. She is not autistic but thrives in learning in a structured way. She is just amazing! ❤️

I also have a 7yr old NT son. Need a neighborhood with good schools that can accommodate both. I am hoping, they will bus kids if the schools cannot provide what she needs?

Can someone here please suggest schools, therapists, pediatrician neighborhoods etc?? Leaning towards Irvine as lot of people here mentioned it has great schools.

Thank you very much.
Irvine does not have bussing

You do know your sister in the Bay Area is many miles from Irvine

You will be trading a 5 hour plane trip for a 5 hour car trip

Old 01-04-2020, 05:22 PM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlime View Post
Did you check into Irvine Unified School District's website with regard to special ed services?

https://iusd.org/department/special-education

Old 01-05-2020, 11:39 AM

24 posts, read 23,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola The yorkie View Post
Irvine does not have bussing

You do know your sister in the Bay Area is many miles from Irvine

You will be trading a 5 hour plane trip for a 5 hour car trip
I will take flights that will be 1.5 hrs. And she can visit more often too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County