Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2008, 12:45 AM

13 posts, read 38,900 times

Advertisements

No longer having desire nor reason to remain in AZ, California has ALWAYS been my emerald city. I am 48, divorced, no kids/pets. Found many places on Craigslist and accepted a room in Long Beach (luv Queen Mary) another in Santa Clarita. Ppl tell me, DON'T MOVE TO LONG BEACH! or, Santa Clarita?? Too far from ocean.

Is Long Beach that bad??? I cannot afford La Jolla, Newport, etc - I have a nest egg, but can't spend it, sewwww, WHAT CITY COMES CLOSE TO ONE THAT I AM HOPING TO FIND; QUAINT, CLEAN, NO DRIVE BY'S, BY BAY/OCEAN, GOLF - AND WORK NEAR HOME W/O HAVING TO FREAK OUT ON FREEWAY BYWAYS/OVERPASSES/BUMPER2BUMPER ROAD RAGING ME.

Please, any suggestions??? Am moving/packing now and driving to CA next week, hopefully with a destination in mind. Thx for input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 05:47 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Much of Long Beach is very nice and it is a port city so whomever told you it is too far from the ocean is confused. It is on the ocean.

Redondo beach is nice and less expensive than many beach towns.

Shop around. We found some really affordable rental housing in Balboa (A villiage in Newport beach) several years ago.

Laguna is awesom,e but really expensive and the commute to anywwhere is difficult.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:20 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanna serf View Post
I am 48, divorced, ....

and accepted a room in Long Beach (luv Queen Mary) another in Santa Clarita.

...... AND WORK NEAR HOME
Where will you be working?
What is your budget for rent or home purchase?

What do you mean be "accepted" a room in Long Beach [and] Santa Clarita?

Old 04-26-2008, 11:44 AM

40 posts, read 129,068 times
Well if your looking for cheap ocean housing than your probably not going to find much. Especially with the summer months approaching most landlords in all the beach communities tend to rent out their places on week to week basis and they hike the rent up. My best suggestion in terms of beach communities that are little less expensive but good would be Huntington Beach, Long Beach has good and bad areas, just make sure you research the area first, a good indicator is if it is well cheaper than other rent prices you have seen by like $400-500 it is usually because it is in a bad area. In terms of freeways unfortunately our freeways suck! there is no way around bumper to bumper traffic its even on the surface streets these days, more so in bigger cities too like Long Beach and others. If you looking to rent on your own you a realistically going to spend $1400-$16000 for a one bedroom apt and $1700-1900 (obviously divided by 2) for a 2 bedroom, if you are going to split a room. I would suggest searching Criagslist and see what you find there sometimes you can find good deals. Good luck!

Old 04-26-2008, 08:55 PM

92 posts, read 349,650 times
It is very expensive any where here in Calif, I currently live in orange County, and want to move from Calif to Az this summer.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:40 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
yea it is too far from the ocean. God forbid you have to actually get in your car and drive to the ocean. The ocean gets pretty old fast. I've been living in OC my whole life and haven't been to the ocean in YEARS.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:52 AM

85 posts, read 283,684 times
ok then just move and see .Life is toooo short!

Old 04-27-2008, 02:57 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanna serf View Post
WHAT CITY COMES CLOSE TO ONE THAT I AM HOPING TO FIND; QUAINT, CLEAN, NO DRIVE BY'S, BY BAY/OCEAN, GOLF - AND WORK NEAR HOME W/O HAVING TO FREAK OUT ON FREEWAY BYWAYS/OVERPASSES/BUMPER2BUMPER ROAD RAGING ME.
I don't think anywhere on LA or OC could really be described as quaint and everywhere here has really bad traffic. Without knowing anything about your work situation, its difficult to say anything too constructive, but I'd be looking much farther north if I were you, like the Central Coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County