Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:47 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
It is an interesting phenomenon. I spent 55 years in Maine. I lived in the country, and I loved the privacy and my home and several acres. When I retired from teaching the care and upkeep of the property as well as the long cold winters were no longer appealing.

My wife and I have always been rather private people who thoroughly enjoy each other. We have no children, and we sold our Maine home and moved to south OC to semi-retire. We have been here for ten years, and I can see why people who have lived here from childhood want to leave, and at the same time, although I seriously doubt I could have tolerated much that is southern California if I had to drive the freeways every day and compete to make a living, I too would want to get out. The place would become deplorable...expensive, shallow, and crowded and hurried. That said....being semi-retired, the place is a great place to spend the senior years. Great medical facilities, terrific restaurants and entertainment, lovely beaches, mountains, and deserts to enjoy, the best weather in the country, and a home base which affords trips to some of the most spectacular country anywhere.

If you were born and raised in OC, by all means, get out for a while. The rest of the country is very different than this little bubble on the south western coast. Most of the kids will never be able to afford to live here anyway unless their parents front the money, or the kids get high paying jobs. For those of you who are a little older and want a nice life and can afford the place, south OC is a great place to live.
A well written, valid, believable, and balanced post.

I could possibly see my wife and me coming back to California when our kids are out of the house. Maybe a little 1200 sqft bungalow in Santa Barbara (where she and I both attended college), likable for the same reasons outlined: things to do, great weather, doctors, etc. But since we have four kids, it would probably be more natural to try to stay as close to our four girls (and their kids) as possible. But that's a long ways off. Our oldest is only nine and our youngest is seven months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM

198 posts, read 354,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A well written, valid, believable, and balanced post.

I could possibly see my wife and me coming back to California when our kids are out of the house. Maybe a little 1200 sqft bungalow in Santa Barbara (where she and I both attended college), likable for the same reasons outlined: things to do, great weather, doctors, etc. But since we have four kids, it would probably be more natural to try to stay as close to our four girls (and their kids) as possible. But that's a long ways off. Our oldest is only nine and our youngest is seven months.
My brother in law and his family live in Dallas. He has moved around the country as a manager with Seagram's. He lived in Thousand Oaks, and although he also would love to move back to California, his two children and two grandchildren also live in the Dallas area. They want to be close to their family.

I guess there are points to be made for each situation. My wife's entire family moved to southern California from New York over the past 40 years.

Her mom lives about four minutes away from us, so that makes it nice for both. I enjoy all the family members...I moved my mom out here, but she has since passed away. Fortunately we have her condo, and we are able to get a nice income by renting it. Not having children gives us a freedom we thoroughly enjoy. We take lots of road trips and enjoy south Orange County and all the immediate area. I love the high school sports in the area, and having the Angels, Ducks, UCI, USC, UCLA, the Lakers, the Dodgers, the Kings, the Padres, the Chargers, and the Clippers all within driving distance is a very real plus.

Our ten years here have been among the best of our lives. We both love what California has to offer. It's nice to have the time to be able to explore, and believe me, there is a lifetime of things and places to explore in this state. There is no where else in the USA with such a diversity of beauty and exciting places to go to and things to do.

I think most people only think about the crowded coastal areas, the expense of living here, some of the laughable shallowness of some of the cultural stuff, and those horrible freeways. There is so much more to this great state than those things...you just have to get out and go get them.

Old 05-08-2008, 02:45 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
My brother in law and his family live in Dallas. He has moved around the country as a manager with Seagram's. He lived in Thousand Oaks, and although he also would love to move back to California, his two children and two grandchildren also live in the Dallas area. They want to be close to their family.

I guess there are points to be made for each situation. My wife's entire family moved to southern California from New York over the past 40 years.

Her mom lives about four minutes away from us, so that makes it nice for both. I enjoy all the family members...I moved my mom out here, but she has since passed away. Fortunately we have her condo, and we are able to get a nice income by renting it. Not having children gives us a freedom we thoroughly enjoy. We take lots of road trips and enjoy south Orange County and all the immediate area. I love the high school sports in the area, and having the Angels, Ducks, UCI, USC, UCLA, the Lakers, the Dodgers, the Kings, the Padres, the Chargers, and the Clippers all within driving distance is a very real plus.

Our ten years here have been among the best of our lives. We both love what California has to offer. It's nice to have the time to be able to explore, and believe me, there is a lifetime of things and places to explore in this state. There is no where else in the USA with such a diversity of beauty and exciting places to go to and things to do.

I think most people only think about the crowded coastal areas, the expense of living here, some of the laughable shallowness of some of the cultural stuff, and those horrible freeways. There is so much more to this great state than those things...you just have to get out and go get them.
Do you realise that the reason you`re soooo relaxed is because:
1. You have NO children
2. You`re financially secure
3. You`re financially secure because you have no children
4. You inherited a condo free and clear
Most ppl don`t realise how much children cost. They have them, then whine about how hard life is.
Peoples urge to procreate> peoples ability to support their offspring

Old 05-08-2008, 08:08 AM

198 posts, read 354,656 times
I do realize all of the above. Early on my wife and I decided we didn't want children. We bought our first house in 1984 and decided (the interest rate on the mostgage was 12.5%) we would put all our extra money into paying off the mortgage. We refinanced at 8.5%, and in 1992 I made the final payment on our house. In addition we don't buy cars all the time. Those three factors plus a fairly rigorous investment plan..no children, no mortgage, and staying with a car for year has allowed us to live a pretty relaxed life.

I was able to retire when I was 52. My wife was 43 at the time, and two years later we moved here and purchased our two condos....the prices were incredibly low compared with today's numbers. I work about 70 days as a substitue teacher, and my wife works three days a week as a gate guard at Leisure World. All of the above has helped us to enjoy our lives together.

Your statement about people having children is true. We see the stress in our own family members who have children. It is a very big and expensive job to be a good parent. We noticed when we moved here, it appears that California families have far more children at much younger ages than do folks in New England. Many of the young families here decide to have several children. I have never seen so many women with strollers anywhere else. Californians do love their babies, and the cost of maintaining those larger families must create fairly substantial rates of stress.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:48 AM

L-88 please note that usually the more poor ppl are the more children they have...It`s a mistery I could never understand...

Old 05-10-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
L-88 please note that usually the more poor ppl are the more children they have...It`s a mistery I could never understand...

A lot of it is cultural (primitive form of social security). Some of it is a result of the message the catholic church for example sends: "My son, you are already blessed with five children, and although you only make $7/hr, have another child."

Old 05-10-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
A lot of it is cultural (primitive form of social security). Some of it is a result of the message the catholic church for example sends: "My son, you are already blessed with five children, and although you only make $7/hr, have another child."
That makes a lot of sense...in other words having lots of children so they can support you when old?
If thats the case ....boy that`s a long shot!!
The funniest line is when they say that children are miracles...

Old 05-10-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
That makes a lot of sense...in other words having lots of children so they can support you when old?
If thats the case ....boy that`s a long shot!!
The funniest line is when they say that children are miracles...
I have four girls. The way I look at it, I'll never need nursing home insurance. I raising my own skilled nursing facility.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 PM

178 posts, read 412,594 times
I have lived in California all my life, 59 years... It was once a beautiful state. Open borders is what is ruining California....California can't continue taking in millions and millions of poor people from other countries without being affected in some way? Traffic, crime, slums and over crowding to name a few??

Old 05-10-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymonk View Post
I have lived in California all my life, 59 years... It was once a beautiful state. Open borders is what is ruining California....California can't continue taking in millions and millions of poor people from other countries without being affected in some way? Traffic, crime, slums and over crowding to name a few??
What's the solution?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County