Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2021, 08:19 AM

44 posts, read 66,171 times

Advertisements

Which one would you choose
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2021, 08:45 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,537,107 times
OC if you can afford it. We made the move last summer from Irvine to Texas. We regret it deeply. Luckily our house has appreciated really quickly so we can get out without too much lost. When Texas says it's business friendly, it comes a the expense of protecting its citizens. We learned that during the freeze when companies were allowed to not winter-proof their plants. Now state leaders are sticking citizens with the exorbitant bills that will give further profit to the companies who failed in the first place.

We learned that when we bought our house and our info was sold to every business in town. A no-name insurance company stepped into our mortgage process claiming we'd signed with them. They tried to hide their fee in our paperwork. It wasn't until the day before we closed that we found it. They claimed it was a misunderstanding.

All of those California addendums that companies have with special protections and rights are there because California has laws to protect people. Texas has none. If you have a car accident here, no police will show up unless an ambulance is needed. They tell you to go to your nearest police station and file a report. This is widely known so when you have an accident here and you're at fault, there is no incentive to stop and exchange information. Insurance rates here are very high for a reason.

I could go on and on, but I probably just sound bitter. My family is here and it was great to spend a year reconnecting with everyone, but we are done. This is just not the place for us and we're planning to move to the Sacramento area next.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:00 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,128,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
OC if you can afford it. We made the move last summer from Irvine to Texas. We regret it deeply. Luckily our house has appreciated really quickly so we can get out without too much lost. When Texas says it's business friendly, it comes a the expense of protecting its citizens. We learned that during the freeze when companies were allowed to not winter-proof their plants. Now state leaders are sticking citizens with the exorbitant bills that will give further profit to the companies who failed in the first place.

We learned that when we bought our house and our info was sold to every business in town. A no-name insurance company stepped into our mortgage process claiming we'd signed with them. They tried to hide their fee in our paperwork. It wasn't until the day before we closed that we found it. They claimed it was a misunderstanding.

All of those California addendums that companies have with special protections and rights are there because California has laws to protect people. Texas has none. If you have a car accident here, no police will show up unless an ambulance is needed. They tell you to go to your nearest police station and file a report. This is widely known so when you have an accident here and you're at fault, there is no incentive to stop and exchange information. Insurance rates here are very high for a reason.

I could go on and on, but I probably just sound bitter. My family is here and it was great to spend a year reconnecting with everyone, but we are done. This is just not the place for us and we're planning to move to the Sacramento area next.
Texas isn’t my favorite state and I chose Idaho when I left Ca and am happy here. But I hope you don’t get in a car accident in Ca because you will find that no cop will show up to it either. Also if something gets stolen from the car or the entire car gets stolen you have to file a report online.

Old 04-10-2021, 10:35 AM

1,940 posts, read 3,537,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Texas isn’t my favorite state and I chose Idaho when I left Ca and am happy here. But I hope you don’t get in a car accident in Ca because you will find that no cop will show up to it either. Also if something gets stolen from the car or the entire car gets stolen you have to file a report online.
The one time I got hit (BMW without insurance pushed a motorcycle who was splitting lanes into my car on the 405), CHP showed up in five minutes.

I've had my car hit twice in Texas (I spent my first ten driving years here) and both times the cars drove away and it was on me to prove it. The second time, it was a lady who worked for the county courts! She drove off but I got her license plate and my insurance had to track down her car and verify the damage to the front of her car. She had no insurance. I'm sure they sued her for the cost of repairs, but I doubt there was any criminal liability for her.

That's three wrecks in 24 years of driving. Idaho is beautiful. I hope the winters aren't too crazy up there. There's definitely a western mentality that you lose when you cross east of El Paso or Denver. It's a very different culture and I'm not feeling it.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:22 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,379,012 times
Quote:
We learned that during the freeze when companies were allowed to not winter-proof their plants.
You misunderstood. The power generation companies did not have to winterize their plants; winterization is optional.

Quote:
If you have a car accident here, no police will show up unless an ambulance is needed. They tell you to go to your nearest police station and file a report.
I've never had that happen here in Houston and have been in a few accidents during my driving career. I have been able to exchange information with the other driver in a recent accident. Maybe it's a problem in transplant-heavy Dallas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would relocate from Orange County to Dallas or anywhere else in Texas, for that matter.
I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would live in Orange County. L.A. County (next door) is the epitome of the California Dreamâ„¢. I didn't move to the Left Coast to live in a more expensive version of Texas!

Quote:
Shoot, at least we have mountains, oceanfront beaches and a mild, docile climate in Southern California, despite suffering from many of the same issues as Texas.
I love those nuisance mountains that block TV and FM radio reception. I'm forced to buy cable/satellite! It's a shame that the inconvenience is so common--L.A. has top-notch network TV stations and top-tier local news personalities.

With the earthquakes and winter landslides in California, the entire house--including the foundation--disappears without a trace. Montecito is now infamous for that killer winter landslide!

Old 04-10-2021, 08:27 PM

1,726 posts, read 1,695,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
You misunderstood. The power generation companies did not have to winterize their plants; winterization is optional.

I've never had that happen here in Houston and have been in a few accidents during my driving career. I have been able to exchange information with the other driver in a recent accident. Maybe it's a problem in transplant-heavy Dallas?

I cannot, for the life of me, understand why anyone would live in Orange County. L.A. County (next door) is the epitome of the California Dreamâ„¢. I didn't move to the Left Coast to live in a more expensive version of Texas!

I love those nuisance mountains that block TV and FM radio reception. I'm forced to buy cable/satellite! It's a shame that the inconvenience is so common--L.A. has top-notch network TV stations and top-tier local news personalities.

With the earthquakes and winter landslides in California, the entire house--including the foundation--disappears without a trace. Montecito is now infamous for that killer winter landslide!
My point is there are 48 other states aside from California and Texas. And personally, I believe most states are superior to Texas.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:20 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,686,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
But I hope you don’t get in a car accident in Ca because you will find that no cop will show up to it either.
Don't know what your problem was. When I was involved in accidents, police was there within a few minutes.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:16 AM

866 posts, read 316,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooners9354 View Post
Which one would you choose
You ask this in the OC forum, you are getting the expected answers.

I moved from SF East Bay 12 years ago to Houston. Both places have negatives but it's far more affordable here. I've done well and the hills and mountains and scenic coast are the only things I miss.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:08 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times
Money no object? OC.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:11 PM

12,734 posts, read 9,359,247 times
Quote:
The one time I got hit (BMW without insurance pushed a motorcycle who was splitting lanes into my car on the 405), CHP showed up in five minutes.

I've had my car hit twice in Texas (I spent my first ten driving years here) and both times the cars drove away and it was on me to prove it. The second time, it was a lady who worked for the county courts! She drove off but I got her license plate and my insurance had to track down her car and verify the damage to the front of her car. She had no insurance. I'm sure they sued her for the cost of repairs, but I doubt there was any criminal liability for her.

That's three wrecks in 24 years of driving. Idaho is beautiful. I hope the winters aren't too crazy up there. There's definitely a western mentality that you lose when you cross east of El Paso or Denver. It's a very different culture and I'm not feeling it.
LOL, she had no insurance? Geezus. Responding to your other post, we may look at Sacramento one day as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County