Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to California: Orange County, housing, traffic, real estate, affordable.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 12:04 PM

8 posts, read 31,580 times

Advertisements

I posted earlier that I am moving to OC from GA. We just took our first trip and I implemented some suggestions about areas to look for housing/appartments in. I was looking for an area that might be a little more edgy, but also a community where I can walk to a lot of things, and some suggestions I got were Orange, Aliso Viejo, Irvine (where my husband will be working), San Clemente, Tustin.

Traffic was terrible, which I fully expected, and without knowing where we were, it was very hard to navigate and get around. We are springing for the navigation system in the rental car next trip.

Irvine is very clean, and has plenty to walk to and we'll like just rent in Irvine when we arrive. But likely, we won't be buying here as it is very expensive.

We went to the "square" in Orange, which I did LOVE, but without knowing the area, just driving around, the houses looked really dumpy. Is that just on the main roads and around the square? It also seems affordable, but someone told me, "yeah...there are some up and coming areas in Orange," which makes me think maybe it is dumpy?

We gave up and didn't make it down south to Aliso (we were staying in Newport Beach), but just looking at real estate listing online, it looks like the houses are both much nicer and much more affordable than other areas. Why is this? Is it an undesirable place to live? I haven't read that in any other posts, but the affordable, prettier houses make me suspect.

Tustin area seemed okay, but housing is pricier than I was led to believe, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't much to do. Or maybe we just couldn't find it. Any truth to this?

I loved Newport and Huntington beach areas, but won't be able to afford those. Laguna was beautiful, but a little posh for us. Any insight to my early discoveries would be much appreciated. Overall, I'm REALLY excited to be moving to such a beautiful place. I've heard everyone in the OC is "fake", but we met some really nice, down to earth people. Which, confirms, as many of you have said, that you get back what you put out there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 12:39 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,423,742 times
Older areas tend to look more dumpy here in Orange County, however, they can still be very nice. Old OC is very cool, but can appear "dumpy" compared to the new pristine look of Irvine or Newport.

Personally if it weren't so far from Irvine (congestion wise) I would recommend downtown Fullerton as the most affordable "cool" edgy place in Orange County.

However, my motto is to "always live as close to work as possible in California". So for you I would recommend you rent in Irvine, there are so many rentals in Irvine and it is a good starter area, but "edgy" or walkable...it is not. However, you could try the apartments right next to Irvine Spectrum and walk to nightlife there: The Village at Irvine Spectrum Center – Luxury Irvine, CA Apartments

Honestly there aren't that many "edgy cool" spots in South OC, it is pretty conservative family-ish if you didn't gather that.

Closer to L.A. = more edgy.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:51 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,312,625 times
Aliso Viejo is a little cheaper because its farther from the FREEway although the toll road runs right through it. Its also that much farther from LA and north OC where a lot of the jobs are. It looks like Irvine with hills. Most people live in OC because they want to be away from "edgy" areas where they might get robbed walking to their car at night. Try Santa Ana if that's what you want. Its close to Irvine and dirt cheap by OC standards.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Aliso Viejo is a little cheaper because its farther from the FREEway although the toll road runs right through it. Its also that much farther from LA and north OC where a lot of the jobs are. It looks like Irvine with hills. Most people live in OC because they want to be away from "edgy" areas where they might get robbed walking to their car at night. Try Santa Ana if that's what you want. Its close to Irvine and dirt cheap by OC standards.
Oh lord, Santa Ana is not edgy, it is largely Hispanic though, EscapeCA loves to bash Santa Ana.

There are edgy spots "near" Irvine that are not largely Hispanic, but they do come with a commute (within 1 hour):

1) Downtown Fullerton (My Favorite)
2) Huntington Beach
3) Old Towne Orange
4) 17th St Costa Mesa
5) Belmont Shores in Long Beach (My Favorite).

These areas are "not bland", people have style, singles w/o kids, walkable, urban and somewhat exciting without having to know Espanol.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:01 PM

895 posts, read 4,237,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJones View Post
I posted earlier that I am moving to OC from GA. We just took our first trip and I implemented some suggestions about areas to look for housing/appartments in. I was looking for an area that might be a little more edgy, but also a community where I can walk to a lot of things, and some suggestions I got were Orange, Aliso Viejo, Irvine (where my husband will be working), San Clemente, Tustin.

Traffic was terrible, which I fully expected, and without knowing where we were, it was very hard to navigate and get around. We are springing for the navigation system in the rental car next trip.

Irvine is very clean, and has plenty to walk to and we'll like just rent in Irvine when we arrive. But likely, we won't be buying here as it is very expensive.

We went to the "square" in Orange, which I did LOVE, but without knowing the area, just driving around, the houses looked really dumpy. Is that just on the main roads and around the square? It also seems affordable, but someone told me, "yeah...there are some up and coming areas in Orange," which makes me think maybe it is dumpy?

We gave up and didn't make it down south to Aliso (we were staying in Newport Beach), but just looking at real estate listing online, it looks like the houses are both much nicer and much more affordable than other areas. Why is this? Is it an undesirable place to live? I haven't read that in any other posts, but the affordable, prettier houses make me suspect.

Tustin area seemed okay, but housing is pricier than I was led to believe, and as far as I could tell, there wasn't much to do. Or maybe we just couldn't find it. Any truth to this?

I loved Newport and Huntington beach areas, but won't be able to afford those. Laguna was beautiful, but a little posh for us. Any insight to my early discoveries would be much appreciated. Overall, I'm REALLY excited to be moving to such a beautiful place. I've heard everyone in the OC is "fake", but we met some really nice, down to earth people. Which, confirms, as many of you have said, that you get back what you put out there...
Welcome to OC! The first thing I did when we moved here was buy a car with navigation. It was a great investment. Now, to try to tackle your post:

Traffic is really not that bad. I have found that there is more negativity on OC than anything else which can be frustrating. Yes -- the freeways do suck at certain times of the day. That's why we have great alternate routes! A drive along the 73 is extremely relaxing (though costly).

I don't really know what your price range is so I can't comment on what's affordable for you or not. Irvine appeared very walkable and nice when we first visited but I didn't really like it. Personally, it was too "perfect" and cookie cutter.

Edgy and OC and affordable...hmmn..I don't know about this.

Newport and Huntington beach areas would be my first options for you, especially Huntingdon. Affordability is another story. Are you buying or renting? I highly recommend renting and figuring out what you REALLY need. We originally thought we wouldn't survive in a house HALF the size of our home on the east coast but we have and it's been fine. Laguna Beach is beautiful, but not posh at all! Location is terrible.

I think you need to look at south OC a little more. I don't know if Aliso Viejo would be a good fit. It's just a small bedroom community with mostly communities and one large shopping area. Great location near the 73, though.

We live in Laguna Niguel and like it but we weren't looking with the same criteria as you. We're more "conservative family-ish" than it sounds like you are!

What about San Clemente or Dana Point? Both have cute downtowns that you might really like.

My best advice is to move here, rent someplace for 6 months and by then, you will really know. My husband moved here ahead of me and drove around for two months. By that time, he had narrowed down where we wanted to live and we rented in that area. A year later -- we've gotten to to know the area and we want to live within 3 miles of where we originally rented.

Originally he was really interested in Tustin and I didn't like the location. Yesterday I drove out there to go to Whole Foods and I was surprised at everything that's gone up in the last year.

Check out San Clemente (near the beach) and Dana Point. There are good and bad areas to everywhere but I think these might be more of what you're looking for if Huntingdon Beach isn't going to work for you.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:10 PM

MDJones -

Gathering what you are looking for here is a place you should check out:

SOCO Walk: New Homes in Fullerton | The Olson Company (http://www.olsonhomes.com/find/community/overview.aspx?codeTitle=socowalk - broken link)
  • Walk to cafés, theaters, clubs
  • Fullerton Metrolink station next door
  • Contemporary, urban designs
  • Six customizable floorplans to choose from
  • From 1,421 to 1,850 sq. ft.
  • Up to 3 Bedrooms and 3 Bathrooms
  • From the $400,000

Very cool place to live in OC, not bland.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:28 PM

8 posts, read 31,580 times
Thumbs up Fullerton, huh?

I hadn't heard or read much about Fullerton yet. Thanks for the tip. You know- my husband's co-workers keep saying that we might like Long Beach, but that looks like a helluva commute. We ruled it out early on for that reason. Am I mistaken?

Yes- OC is very different than GA in the fact that there are many more grungy places around Atlanta. Likewise, more crime, as someone mentioned, like in LA. I don't mind living in high density minority areas, or transitional neighborhoods, but have been warned about Santa Ana.

In response to many of your questions about what I consider affordable, we'd like to stay between $275k and $450k for a 3 bedroom, 2 bath home. And while I have come to grips with the fact that "yards" aren't plentiful in CA, I'd at least like a little patch for a garden.

Dana Point seems cool, but literature I've got says the median home value is around $850k- definitely out of our price range.

I'd like to be near some cool concert venues, and some bohemian coffee shops, but I am getting old enough that I don't go out as much anymore. It seems like most places have plenty of good, organic grocery stores, ethnic restaurants, and lots of breweries-YAY! I'll definitely check out some of these suggestions on our 2nd scouting trip next month. Thanks.

OH- BTW- I checked out that apt. community in Irvine and it looks like you definitely pay to be walking distance to some activity. The Irvine Co. also rents for a couple of communities in Tustin where we'd be able to get a townhouse for just at/under $2k a month. Would I be bored to death in Tustin?

Old 05-12-2008, 01:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,095,758 times
Before we were married, my wife commuted to Costa Mesa (which is very close to Irvine, especially where a lot of the jobs are around SNA airport) from both Fullerton (near the University) and Long Beach (Belmont Shore). Both commutes are probably about 45 minutes each way give or take 15 minutes. Fullerton is probably a bit shorter of a commute, but Belmont Shore is a better neighborhood in my opinion especially with its proximity to the beach. Belmont Shore is also very close to Downtown LB, which has a lot of bars, coffee houses, and music venues. It is also a short drive from Huntington Beach which is also pretty cool, especially if you have a dog!

Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 PM

My wife and I moved here from New York City, most of South OC is pretty bland and boring to us, Tustin included. Like I said before, it is a great safe place to have children though, when our kids are ready for school we will be moving back to NYC to enjoy museums, schools and excitement, right now we have enough to do raising the kids here.

Personally, hearing what you are looking for, I think Tustin will be very very very boring as will Irvine. I am not trying to sound negative here, but most of that area is families and conservative. I live here, I know .

Belmont Shores, Fullerton, and Huntington Beach sound right up your alley, however you will be priced out of H.B.. But I would definitely recommend Fullerton.

The reason you don't hear much about Fullerton, Brea, Seal Beach or Long Beach on this board is because most people here on this board are looking for a family location.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:45 PM

3,229 posts, read 6,252,981 times
You could live here and walk to a brewery and many other restaurants. Mother's Market (http://www.mothersmarket.com/retailer/store_templates/shell_id_1.asp?storeID=EMAF4UHXAMV58MQM1LG58N4W74A AFP7Ais - broken link) is a great organic market in Costa Mesa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County