Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 10:45 AM

189 posts, read 196,318 times

Advertisements

Since we travel, the proximity to John Wayne Airport was another huge advantage for Mission Viejo in our opinion. Thousand Oaks doesn't have an airport nearby, the closest are Burbank and LAX which are pretty far and can be really stressful to judge and battle with traffic and having to leave so early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2022, 09:11 AM

43,641 posts, read 44,368,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I live in an adjacent city to Mission Viejo. MV is a quiet, safe, family-friendly residential area with good beach and local mountain access. My family loves it here. It is not exciting, though, and it’s a good long drive to LA.
There are also the Wildness Glen trails which are excellent for walking (casual hiking). MV also has a lake which I believe has a very low fee membership for MV residents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Demographically, the areas are likely similar on paper, but TO and surrounding cities have a very large Jewish population. Because of this, TO will lean much more democrat compared to the republican leaning MV and South OC area.
There are definitely a Jewish presence in MV as there is even a Chabad center with a Sunday Hebrew school for those interested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUgrad09 View Post
Since we travel, the proximity to John Wayne Airport was another huge advantage for Mission Viejo in our opinion.
MV is definitely very convenient and close to SNA and Irvine in general. Also in Irvine one has a access to the Metrolink commuter rail combined Amtrak train station.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:56 AM

9,852 posts, read 7,722,163 times
We raised our children in Mission Viejo and loved it.

Old 08-30-2022, 04:07 AM

63 posts, read 67,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
We raised our children in Mission Viejo and loved it.
I can’t wait to get involved in the community. It is a beautiful area!

Old 09-01-2022, 08:14 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbc1998 View Post
I can’t wait to get involved in the community. It is a beautiful area!
T.O. ain't bad, either.

Old 12-02-2022, 06:48 PM

71 posts, read 72,524 times
I've lived in both TO and now in South OC. MV may be a bit cooler in summer.
Demographically about the same.
School performance TO/Westake/Agoura High about the same as Mission, Tesoro.
Biggest difference is in TO you pretty much have the 101 for commuting unless you're heading on the 23 to the 118 or the canyons to the 1. All of these are really bad.
In OC, the 5 and 405 have been and are being widened plus there are toll roads.
I think the job density is higher in OC than it is in Conejo Valley. There may be more Plan B and Plan C jobs that would be a low risk of a bad commute than there would be in TO/Conejo/Valley/101 Corridor.
BRinSM mentioned a bit more Jewish in TO - maybe in Agoura but otherwise it (or any religiousity) isn't noticeable. Compared to the rest of the country, both TO and MV aren't very religious at all.

Old 12-26-2022, 01:25 AM

1,965 posts, read 3,309,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerrilla Poster View Post
I've lived in both TO and now in South OC. MV may be a bit cooler in summer.
Demographically about the same.
School performance TO/Westake/Agoura High about the same as Mission, Tesoro.
Biggest difference is in TO you pretty much have the 101 for commuting unless you're heading on the 23 to the 118 or the canyons to the 1. All of these are really bad.
In OC, the 5 and 405 have been and are being widened plus there are toll roads.
I think the job density is higher in OC than it is in Conejo Valley. There may be more Plan B and Plan C jobs that would be a low risk of a bad commute than there would be in TO/Conejo/Valley/101 Corridor.
BRinSM mentioned a bit more Jewish in TO - maybe in Agoura but otherwise it (or any religiousity) isn't noticeable. Compared to the rest of the country, both TO and MV aren't very religious at all.

I lived in Thousand Oaks for some years and will definitely agree with all that was said above, especially the bolded portion.

Some years back there were only a few major corporate employment options. Most of these companies went through substantial downsizing over the years and colleagues who were affected had to leave the area entirely or endure grueling commutes. Due to lack of jobs, many of the young people left the area and it earned its name as a "baby boomer tomb". OC is more diversified for certain.

When I think back on Thousand oaks of that time, I always do think fondly of it though. Warm weather and friendly people. I was saddened when I heard of that mass shooting that occurred there a few years back, one of the last places I would expect such a thing to occur.

Old 12-28-2022, 10:41 PM

689 posts, read 639,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
Demographically, the areas are likely similar on paper, but TO and surrounding cities have a very large Jewish population. Because of this, TO will lean much more democrat compared to the republican leaning MV and South OC area.
Such a stereotypical view.

Old 12-29-2022, 06:15 PM

71 posts, read 72,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancuriosity View Post
Such a stereotypical view.
OC is majority blue now, even South OC. And, Conejo Valley isn't that Jewish, probably more than most places but we're probably talking less than 5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County