Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 09:21 PM

5 posts, read 30,287 times

Advertisements

Hi there! We are moving to Cali from Texas, husband got a job in Carson where we understand we do not want to live. We have a 10 year old so good schools are important to us, need to also consider commute time. Does anyone have any ideas of towns we should be looking at to live in? There are too many options. We are flying out in a couple of weeks to look around, and I don't know where to start.

We are looking to rent.... price range approximately $2000-$3000.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Last edited by pocyhontas; 05-28-2008 at 09:33 PM.. Reason: add'l info...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocyhontas View Post
Hi there! We are moving to Cali from Texas, husband got a job in Carson where we understand we do not want to live. We have a 10 year old so good schools are important to us, need to also consider commute time. Does anyone have any ideas of towns we should be looking at to live in? There are too many options. We are flying out in a couple of weeks to look around, and I don't know where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!!

Rent or buy?

What is your budget or housing range?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:42 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Torrance, but not too far north or east. Stay west of Western.

A little farther out, but you might want to consider southeastern Long Beach (south of Cal State) or Los Alamitos. There's a section of Los Alamitos call Rossmoor that's very nice but pretty expensive so I'm not sure if its within your budget.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:51 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Torrance, but not too far north or east. Stay west of Western.

A little farther out, but you might want to consider southeastern Long Beach (south of Cal State) or Los Alamitos. There's a section of Los Alamitos call Rossmoor that's very nice but pretty expensive so I'm not sure if its within your budget.
Yea, I would suggest in the order he gave it in, because Torrance is close, Long Beach is further, and Los Al is furthest

Old 05-28-2008, 11:45 PM

300 posts, read 1,258,164 times
yes, you are correct, you DONT want to live in carson! torrance HS is a very cool HS, in fact- beverly hills 90210 was filmed there on location (if my memory serves me right)- im not sure about the quality of education, but its a nice looking school if you live in the district that goes to that one.

im thinking of places that are of equal distance to the north as long beach and rossmore (basically seal beach) are to the south...im thinking possibly (a big possibly, bust out a map and check out the roads you would have to take from the 405 to get to these cities, as they are on the coast. it can take up to 30+ mins to get from the 405 to the coast) Marina del Rey or Rancho Palos Verdes. Im not very familiar with these areas- I mostly pass through on the way to LA during my commute- but worth checking into. Can anyone else chime in on these cities/rents/schools?

Also, as a side note, public education in CA is a joke. Im so serious. Brace yourself for a shock.

Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Redondo Beach may be a city to consider. You should be able to find a nice 3/2 detached house in your price range. Check losangeles.craigslist.org

Old 05-29-2008, 11:22 AM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
East Long Beach would be my recommendation. Prices range from $600k to over $8M so there is something for everyone. There is a variety of coastal and suburban options.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:47 PM

5 posts, read 30,287 times
Thank you for the input you have given me.... that definitely gives me some ideas. Every time someone lists an area, I start looking at it so I am definitely taking into consideration everyone's advice. Compared to where we live now, the area is overwhelming me.

Old 05-29-2008, 12:53 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
just noticed you said rent not buy. your price range for renting will work in ELB too. Along the coast for a house you're looking at closer to the 3k range.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesRes View Post
East Long Beach would be my recommendation. Prices range from $600k to over $8M so there is something for everyone. There is a variety of coastal and suburban options.
I guess "everyone" doesn't include people who makes less than the $120K a year or so it takes to afford a $600k mortgage and taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County