Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2023, 12:07 PM

2 posts, read 9,039 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I'll be interning at a company this summer in Irvine and thought it might be fun to take the opportunity to live in a beach town vs Irvine. What is the commute like during the summer from laguna beach to Irvine? My work hours will most likely be 3-5 days a week from 8am to 5pm. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2023, 01:36 AM

689 posts, read 639,047 times
Can you say where the company is in Irvine? Irvine is a big city.

The main way into Irvine from Laguna is the 133. Alternatively, if you are working near UCI or the airport, you can come up Pacific Coast Highway and come up MacArthur. Coming out of Laguna in the morning will be "ok" but you will have some traffic. Coming back to Laguna in evening could be a bit of a challenge. In addition to the rush hour traffic, Laguna Beach also has the summer festivals such as Pageant of the Masters and the Sawdust Festival that can really slow down traffic. What looks like a short commute on a map can be quite long and stressful. Are you ok with that?

In addition to distance and time, you will also need to look at the cost of your accommodations. Living at the beach can be expensive. Roommates would help in that regard. You also need to take parking into consideration. If your place doesn't come with parking, you'll need to park on the street and those spaces can be competitive. Also, IIRC, you have to be a resident to get a parking permit.

My view after living here 30+ years is that it's generally better to live close to work and hit the beach on the weekends or maybe the evenings *when you choose to*. I like short commutes, but that's me. We have many beaches in California. Why limit yourself to one? You can visit Laguna, Aliso, San Clemente, Dana Point, Corona del Mar, the Balboa Peninsula, Huntington Beach when you want.

Old 03-28-2023, 07:34 AM

14,302 posts, read 11,688,680 times
I agree with urbancuriosity. Since you're talking about summer only, live in Irvine and drive to Lagiuna and Newport (and the other beaches) when you likr.

As a lifelong OC resident, I'll just say that if I could have anything I wanted, it would be to live at the beach from September through June and somewhere ELSE, somewhere far away, during July and August. It's not just the commute in and out. Everything about the beach is a nightmare then.

Old 03-28-2023, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 9,039 times
Ok thanks so much for the information! Good point about being able to check out other beaches during off times and having a short commute the rest of the time. I don't love traffic but trying to decide if I'm willing to put up with it for a pretty view for a few months My office will be near Irvine Spectrum.

Old 03-28-2023, 01:31 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,573,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

As a lifelong OC resident, I'll just say that if I could have anything I wanted, it would be to live at the beach from September through June and somewhere ELSE, somewhere far away, during July and August. It's not just the commute in and out. Everything about the beach is a nightmare then.

We’re lucky. My husband usually works from home when we are here & we live super close to where I work PT, tho he does have to deal with traffic 1 or 2 times a week. BUT, I totally disagree. Nothing about the beach is a nightmare when it’s in the back yard.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:04 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
You would be going opposite traffic in Laguna Beach to Irvine. If you can find a place to live you can afford in LB, go for it.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You would be going opposite traffic in Laguna Beach to Irvine. If you can find a place to live you can afford in LB, go for it.
In the morning going out, yes. In the afternoon/evening going in, no. There's a lot of traffic into Laguna on summer evenings because of the festival events and because people love to go to the beach after work/school in summer.

Old 03-28-2023, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
We’re lucky. My husband usually works from home when we are here & we live super close to where I work PT, tho he does have to deal with traffic 1 or 2 times a week. BUT, I totally disagree. Nothing about the beach is a nightmare when it’s in the back yard.
I just really hate the crowds.

Old 04-01-2023, 02:26 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,822,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgwhawk View Post
Hi,

I'll be interning at a company this summer in Irvine and thought it might be fun to take the opportunity to live in a beach town vs Irvine. What is the commute like during the summer from laguna beach to Irvine? My work hours will most likely be 3-5 days a week from 8am to 5pm. Thanks!
Awesome, if you ride a motorcycle...

Old 04-02-2023, 01:42 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,661,389 times
Just to chime in on what others have advised, it’s better to live as close to work as possible. Traffic in Laguna Beach during the summer months can be a bear due to the annual summer festival and the Pageant of the Masters. There are only two ways in and out of Laguna Beach: The Coast Highway (SR-1) and Laguna Canyon Road (SR-133), which can get pretty congested. Another consideration would be to look into Newport Beach, if you’re interested in living in a beach town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County