Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2007, 05:56 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,071,956 times

Advertisements

Laguna Niguel, Dana Point, San Clemente? Hi, I would like some information regarding these areas. Safety, Nice/well kept, Best ocean viewing Subdivisions, Best beaches, shopping and restuarants. We are interested in moving there. Thank You!
Oops, I put this under the Los Angeles thread first without realizing what I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM

989 posts, read 5,908,355 times
Smile Dana Point, SC, and Laguna Niguel!!

To be frank, it depends on what type of community you are looking for. But, here's a run-down... San Clemente is one of the first cities settled in Orange County. With the exception newer subdivisions like Telega, San Clemente's streets were laid down and planned before most of South County was even envisioned. By a visit, you will find that the roads are fairly narrow and a lot are lined with tall and exotic palms. Another benefit is that S.C. has a proliferious amount of old-style Spanish architecture!

Dana Point is what I would consider a "pass-through city." What I mean is that many visitors only know Dana Point as 'a city they travel through going to and from Laguna Beach on PCH.' This is what keeps it's friendly and uncongested vibe. However, Dana Point is currently debating several changes that could transform that reputation from a quiet bedroom community into a tourist-haven.

Laguna Niguel is not a beach town -Some houses do have views though. For shopping, there is Laguna Hills Mall, Kaleidoscope Mall, The Shops at Mission Viejo, and ofcourse a bit further, Irvine Spectrum Center. Laguna Niguel is a fairly hilly area, and some houses have great views.

As far as the best ocean-viewing subdivision, there is a new subdivision in Dana Point: The Strand at Headlands. Check out their website- www.danapointheadlands.com and this article: http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister...cle_972565.php

Old 01-08-2007, 07:57 PM

5,284 posts, read 19,986,028 times
All of the communities you have listed are very expensive...modest homes are close to a million dollars.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:37 PM

41 posts, read 246,442 times
I grew up here and have watched all the changes come. It's mainly lots more houses and therefore people. San Clemente is a surf town. Quiet and stil sleepy. There is one little street that has all the shops on it called Del Mar, which eventually brings you to the pier. All the roads used to be goat paths which is why they are windy rather than square, but they all lead to the ocean eventually. The apartments for the renters and some 1950s beach cottages have the lower, below the freeway area while the homeowners have the hills with spectacular ocean views above the freeway.Talega is a new planned community about 5 miles inland. This is one of the least expensive areas to live in.
Dana point has a harbor and it's the mainstay of the town. The community has the apartment area for the renters, which is still a little rowdy these days. Stay away from any streets ending in Lantern unless you are into drugs. There are lots of new track home communities , both condos and homes, some right near the beach. Strands is the best beach in the world, and the best kept secret til now.Now they are building zillion dollar homes right up to the water and a hotel and a bunch of crap that shouldn't be built on my beach. But the water there is prisitine and the sand is clean and last time I went there (this summer) there were lots of people walking the beaches, but still not alot in the water.
Laguna niguel comes down the road next. The Ritz Carlton is their claim to fame and many track homes (track castles) have been built nearby. Golf courses and more hotels and more track homes and you have Laguna Niguel.
Then you come to Laguna Beach, the art colony with the euro flair. Everything is expensive but it's a great place to walk around and shop the little shops. The beachs are all small coves rather than stretches of sand and are all gorgeous. Even the homeless have character there. They have art festivals in the summer and the Pageant of the Masters which you just have to see as explaining it makes it sound boring, but it's not. something like 300 plus restaurants, coffee houses. The kids on the street with guitars. Like a small San Francisco. Only problem is cramming all the cars from all those visitors into a little town. You come to a screeching halt for a small amount of time and enjoy people watching at the lights.Free cab rides in summer for locals, and the local little bus is maybe 75 cents and takes you everywhere in town. I love it there,only I like a big house which is cheaper the souther you go.

Old 01-09-2007, 09:46 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,071,956 times
Thank You All for the replies. The places all sound wonderful. I hope we will be able to do this move. It's good to know that all 3 places are nice (gives us more to choose from). Thanks Again!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 PM

800 posts, read 4,286,205 times
Quote:
San Clemente is a surf town. Quiet and stil sleepy. There is one little street that has all the shops on it called Del Mar, which eventually brings you to the pier.
I've been to Laguna Beach and Dana Point, really, most of the beach towns from Malibu down to San Juan Capirstrano...I loved the Laguna's. Very pretty, but I've never been in the summer, only the fall. I shudder to think of how busy/crazy it must get in the summer with all the tourists

Just curious which is a better "surf town" for a real surfer? Huntington Beach or San Clemente? We don't have kids, so schools are not a worry for us.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:25 PM

9,520 posts, read 30,346,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I've been to Laguna Beach and Dana Point, really, most of the beach towns from Malibu down to San Juan Capirstrano...I loved the Laguna's. Very pretty, but I've never been in the summer, only the fall. I shudder to think of how busy/crazy it must get in the summer with all the tourists

Just curious which is a better "surf town" for a real surfer? Huntington Beach or San Clemente? We don't have kids, so schools are not a worry for us.
if you are looking to get sponsored or go pro, huntington is pretty much the center of all that. But San Clemente is a lot nicer place to live.

Old 01-11-2007, 03:31 PM

800 posts, read 4,286,205 times
Sassberto and Sage,
Thanks for the comments on surfing towns...I didn't mean to hijack the thread LOL.

Didn't get to go to San Clemente...Is that where Del Rey is? LOL

Okay, I should start a new thread, sorry mods.

Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 PM

3 posts, read 28,903 times
Wow what a surprise. Growing up my parents owned a home in San Clemente, I currently live in Laguna Niguel. YI bought a townhouse (1 bdrm) here 4 years ago for $222k, could sell now at $360k more or less. You can get from Laguna Niguel, San Clemente & Dana Point without taking the freeway on a scooter in about 30 minutes or less. So they are all close to one another.
Unless you have over 800k, don't go to San Clemente, a lot who live there who don't have money are in druggie areas I hate to admit. To live in Dana Point, you will be cramped up without privacy if you buy there. All residences can see each others business from all sides through every window, unless you have a million. Maybe even then so.

I would recommend Laguna Niguel. It's gorgeous! Reasonably priced townhouses or condo's (for this area) take a peek at www.homeseekers.com you can put in zip code 92677 for Laguna Niguel & view the real estate whether it's a home, condo or townhouse. It's near everything. I think it's the best for your money too. Or you can rent here first & see how you like it. Contact me again if you have more questions. I'm considering moving away because it's so incredibly expensive to live here.

ginaincali

Old 03-31-2010, 09:27 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,414,573 times
Maybe Laguna Niguel?

San Clemente Times - San Clemente Other Cities to Send Anti Radiation Pills (http://www.sanclementetimes.com/view/full_story/6888864/article-San-Clemente--Other-Cities-to-Send-Anti-Radiation-Pills?instance=eye_on_sc - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County