Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 03:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,537 times

Advertisements

I am curious about this as well..if I marry my fiancee that is paying back child support for older children now because his ex ran off with his children and he had to search for them in order to pay support and try to see them. I have two children living with me that are high schoolers that I receive child support for...can my ex take our money and combine to lower his child support payment or combine our income to raise my fiancee' amount to pay his arrears child support? This is in Missouri
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,427 times
Yikes all of this is making me nervous i to live in Ca northern to be exact, and my ex is horrible. My husband and I want to start our own family but am concerned that my ex will try to take "us" to court for child support. I do not have income just unemployment. He has majority custody of our son with three other kids under the age of 5. Our son is ten. Please help!

Old 06-13-2012, 04:20 AM

1 posts, read 3,395 times
When I marry my fiancé am I responsible for his child support if he can't pay it? Also he has a $50K work over debt and $20K debt to taxation department. If we marry do these become my debts and responsibilities as well?

Old 06-15-2012, 12:30 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,614 times
@julie, in a community property state 50% of the community assets/income can be used to pay off one party's separate debt so if you earn substantially more than yes you will end up indirectly having to pay even his past debts tread carefully

Old 06-15-2012, 02:36 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
it's community income, there is no distinction between "his" or "her" income while married in California...the community assets are liable to pay for any outstanding liabilities acquired by either party while being married. In California once you are married anything acquired during the marriage is joint equally.

Marital debts in bankruptcy: who pays

"In addition to the personal liability of a married person in a community property state, the community property is liable for the debts of either spouse incurred during the marriage."
That does not apply in Family Court except during dissolution settlements. Even then, monetary gifts and inheritances are the sole "property" of the recipient. His kid. His responsibility. His wife is not nor will she be liable in any way.

Old 07-23-2012, 06:23 PM

1 posts, read 3,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwed View Post
Hate to break it to everyone but just two days ago a judge said that he would consider my income in terms of support for my husbands kids and require me to contribute whatever my husband cant cover. The judge said we were married so he could consider it common property and include my income in his judgement and that is exactly what he ordered. I had no oppurtunity to explain my situation, the fact I have my own daughter to support and my own educational expenses. And let me be clear, I dont make much more than his wife does, so its not just a case where I make so much more money that it should matter. I can hardly afford my own stuff. I also found out that because I'm not a named party in the case, there is nothing I can do about it.
You are actually telling the truth. I don't know about everyone else experience but my sister was married to a husband of 4 kids that were not legally her's. Because he was in arrears and was laid off from work, they came right after my sister income and her taxes were taken as well. I don't understand this law and it is very wrong on the wife behalf. She had nothing to do with those kids being birthed and she has 3 kids of her own to raise WITHOUT CHILD SUPPORT from their dads. How wrong could that be? Why would a wife go after a new wife for spouse support besides being jealous? She was not the person you laid down with to produce, God made sure of that. My sister had to divorce her husband for this reason and it damaged her christian life. This is a true story and should be taken into consideration prior to marrying a BF.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,230 times
I am married and my husband is in jail . Before we even got together he had goten a order to pay child support know that we are married I need to know If I am responsible to have to pay for his child support or can they use my income I live in New Mexico

Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Everyone on this thread should consult a local attorney; child custody laws vary from state to state.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:36 PM

494 posts, read 1,916,614 times
My advice to you... if you are not prepared to pay the extra child support for his kids then don't get married to him. These laws usually have ambiguous clauses which give judges discretion and a judge may side with his ex and take your money...what exactly would you do about it then?

Old 08-06-2012, 04:43 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,564,796 times
Agreed---sort out your legal uissues before you tie the knot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County