Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 PM

3 posts, read 6,989 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone! I currently live in the OC ( Irvine). I wanted to buy a home in the oc to rent out, to create some cashflow. Do you have any advice as to what city would be the best choice: considering house sale price, property tax, hiring real estate agents? Also is it smarter to got with foreclosure homes ( assuming your allowed to check it out)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 06:43 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,272,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krajapak View Post
Hey everyone! I currently live in the OC ( Irvine). I wanted to buy a home in the oc to rent out, to create some cashflow. Do you have any advice as to what city would be the best choice: considering house sale price, property tax, hiring real estate agents? Also is it smarter to got with foreclosure homes ( assuming your allowed to check it out)
What cash flow are you talking about?,the rent you get will just about pay the mortgage.
If property prices drop you loose.
If you have maintenance issues and you will,you loose.
If your tenants don't pay you loose..big time!
If you are lucky enough to own extra property then keep it you will make money in probably 10 years or so.
If you are lucky enough to have cash then there are much better investments in the 15 to 25 year horizon.
For example I could show you how to turn $10,000 into $10,000,000 in 10 to 20 years. And it does not involve investment in the Californian property market.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
If you have to ask people on city-data, you shouldn't do it.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,867,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by impala666 View Post
What cash flow are you talking about?,the rent you get will just about pay the mortgage.
If property prices drop you loose.
If you have maintenance issues and you will,you loose.
If your tenants don't pay you loose..big time!
If you are lucky enough to own extra property then keep it you will make money in probably 10 years or so.
If you are lucky enough to have cash then there are much better investments in the 15 to 25 year horizon.
For example I could show you how to turn $10,000 into $10,000,000 in 10 to 20 years. And it does not involve investment in the Californian property market.
No kidding. If you want to cash flow property go to texas. California is still recovering from speculative fever which means if you are even possible to cash flow positively you will be lucky. Texas never really saw a housing boom so all real estate over there is very cheap. Renting is more expensive than to buy so that means very high ROI if you have good tenants.

I would also agree with escapecalifornia. What do you know about real estate? Probably nothing. I would stick to the stock market and if you want to invest in real estate then just buy REITs.

Old 08-18-2008, 06:44 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,393 times
If you are looking though, I have about 25 that are or will be on the market in the next 2-3 weeks. Range from $138,000- 1.5mill.

But, as others have said, do your homework and make yourself knowledgeable about real estate investing. Find places (texas being one, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, Georgia, Virginia, South Carolina, parts of California) that are known to have a higher rent rate than home price. Also, learn what is required to be a landlord. The best consumer is an educated one!!

Old 08-19-2008, 08:39 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krajapak View Post
You will have cash flow alright... the cash will be flowing from your bank account to the lender.

Old 08-22-2008, 07:58 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
You will have cash flow alright... the cash will be flowing from your bank account to the lender.
funny but true!

Old 08-24-2008, 10:10 AM

20 posts, read 54,309 times
Default what to do

Many of you guys seam to have better ideas on investments than buying a CA home.

I you had 100k$ what would you guys invest them in right now? Texas properties stocks what kind of ideas do you guys have?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:00 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasfromdenmark View Post
Many of you guys seam to have better ideas on investments than buying a CA home.

I you had 100k$ what would you guys invest them in right now? Texas properties stocks what kind of ideas do you guys have?
i take you`re from dennmark...if you personally want to invest in US real estate (Texas properties) you need a Green Card (permanent residency)
Texas real estate sees little to no appreciation but great and affordable for retirement. Property taxes are high in Texas(2.5%-4.5% annualy)
Most banks won`t offer more than 3% interest right now and that`s not even breaking even with the inflation (5%).
Real estate it`s all screwed up in the whole country right now so you cannot make money there, banks hardly pay anything for your money...the only option is the stock market and thats a double edged sword!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:04 PM

20 posts, read 54,309 times
Flo2900 thanks for your advice.

But I understand that i do not need a green card to buy properties in CA? is'nt that correct?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
View detailed profiles of: