Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 07:48 PM

230 posts, read 1,142,251 times

Advertisements

Irvine is a good place for reform Judaism. University synagogue is beautiful and is packed to the brim every Shabbes and High Holiday services sell out. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:37 AM

13 posts, read 42,071 times
Default goodness forbid

[quote=ZhugeLiang;5464644]Goodness forbid your family ever have to endure the unique burden of having to mix with those who are different from you.[/quote

wow, that's quite a reaction to my question. i never suggested that i don't want to mix with others. if you read all the replies you'd see my other comment that clearly states my desire to find a community with many different ethnicities. but, based on your unnecessary comment, i presume you had a different agenda.

we currently live in NYC suburbs and do not have to worry about anti-semitism. we're simply looking out for our children and want them to feel comfortable in their environment. some places are more racist than others. would you deny that? would you also deny that the holocaust ever happened? goodness gracious.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:40 AM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaGoHome View Post
Irvine is a good place for reform Judaism. University synagogue is beautiful and is packed to the brim every Shabbes and High Holiday services sell out. Good luck!

thanks for your reply! i've heard nice things about this synagogue.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:43 AM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Quote:
wow, that's quite a reaction to my question. i never suggested that i don't want to mix with others. if you read all the replies you'd see my other comment that clearly states my desire to find a community with many different ethnicities. but, based on your unnecessary comment, i presume you had a different agenda.

we currently live in NYC suburbs and do not have to worry about anti-semitism. we're simply looking out for our children and want them to feel comfortable in their environment. some places are more racist than others. would you deny that? would you also deny that the holocaust ever happened? goodness gracious.
You have to understand that the way you set up the question, especially on a public anonymous message board like this, is naturally going to lead to misinterpretation and even bring out the closet anti-semites out there. I see this time after time again on other forums here-- as a fellow Jew, I cringe whenever I see questions like this because I know it's only a matter of time until posters like the one find the thread. Notice too how the question wasn't even what areas of OC have a significant Jewish community-- it's always about the kiddies. A little naive if you ask me.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:54 AM

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
don`t know what you mean by asking that question but do you and your children feel any different then the rest?...or maybe better?
yes, i'm writing here to announce to all of orange county that my family and i think we're better than all you non-jews in orange county. you've got to be kidding, flo2900.

in what way could i have possibly implied that in my initial post? as i've previously explained, we're just looking for an overall good mix of people as we do not want our children to be the only jewish kids. anti-semitism is a concern. is that really so strange?

perhaps being jewish on the west coast is different than on the east coast. i didn't expect my innocuous question to met with even the remotest kind of hostility.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladders View Post
Also, any other Orange County or LA neighborhoods with large Jewish communities? Not too religious as we're Reform.
Laguna Woods (the former Leisure World) has a lot of Jews, but they're all 55 and up.

In L.A., the Fairfax District and Park La Brea have large Jewish populations. The Fairfax even has the pais wearing Orthodox.
Good delis can be found there.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:

perhaps being jewish on the west coast is different than on the east coast. i didn't expect my innocuous question to met with even the remotest kind of hostility.
gladders, you're on a public forum.... expect morons. I spent 42 years in Orange County, so I know what I'm talking about. It's not known as a place that is unfriendly towards Jews.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
You have to understand that the way you set up the question, especially on a public anonymous message board like this, is naturally going to lead to misinterpretation and even bring out the closet anti-semites out there. I see this time after time again on other forums here-- as a fellow Jew, I cringe whenever I see questions like this because I know it's only a matter of time until posters like the one find the thread. Notice too how the question wasn't even what areas of OC have a significant Jewish community-- it's always about the kiddies. A little naive if you ask me.
thanks for the heads-up, vegaspilgrim. didn't know jews were expected to contain themselves like that. certainly not my style.

i'm originally from rural northern calif and the first jew i ever met was in college in the bay area (i wasn't born jewish). now, as an adult, married to a jew and raising our kids as jews, i want to be careful not to move to a calif town like the one i grew up in: homogeneous, lacking culture and diversity and intolerant to anything different.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
gladders, you're on a public forum.... expect morons. I spent 42 years in Orange County, so I know what I'm talking about. It's not known as a place that is unfriendly towards Jews.
thanks, fontucky. this is all very interesting to me.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:07 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
Quote:
thanks for the heads-up, vegaspilgrim. didn't know jews were expected to contain themselves like that. certainly not my style.

i'm originally from rural northern calif and the first jew i ever met was in college in the bay area (i wasn't born jewish). now, as an adult, married to a jew and raising our kids as jews, i want to be careful not to move to a calif town like the one i grew up in: homogeneous, lacking culture and diversity and intolerant to anything different.
Gladders, I grew up in South Florida and now live in NYC. One of my friends here is originally from Laguna Beach and tells me that although the Jewish population is low in OC compared to nice suburbs outside of NYC and Miami-Fort Lauderdale, there still is a good showing of Jews, especially Reformed Jews, out there. Come to think of it, I just recently met a Jewish girl here in NYC who is from OC too... don't know what town.

Some people on this forum don't realize that Jews only make up 2% of the US population and that it's only natural for Jewish people to not want their kids to feel out of place. I'm not even Jewish and I understand this. With that said, OC is a pretty diverse place and has its fair share of Jews. I wouldn't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County