Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 10:57 AM

1 posts, read 3,007 times

Advertisements

In 1996 California voters made it legal in California for people with medical problems to obtain medical marijuana (with a recommendation from an MD) to help patients with pain. Most cities in Orange County have banned any dispensaries within their cities. A dispensary is a safe place for patients (like me in a wheelchair) to purchase the medicine we need. These are places which verify your papers from the doctor, and dispense medication only to those who are allowed to have it. (like a pharmacy). These businesses do not permit children or anyone without proper paperwork to purchase. They are usually located within commercial/industrial areas away from schools and churches.
The alternate to having dispensaries within a city is buying what is needed through the blackmarket from gang members.
I am writing from a group called Americans for Safe Access. I am surverying throughout Orange County to find out what your thoughts are on this subject and what questions you may have on this subject.
The California Attorney General just put our guidelines for dispensaries which would include paying the cities for business licenses and paying sales tax.

I would love to hear your thoughts on this subject.
Thanks
Marla James
OC Americans for safe access
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 03:04 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,204 times
Why don't pharmacies dispense marijuana? I don't understand why, if it has medical benefits and it's legal to sell, it isn't offered at places like Walgreens and Rite Aid. The pharmaceutical companies could clean up.

Old 10-02-2008, 03:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Because it's federally illegal to dispense marijuana. The state is defying federal law by allowing it's sale and use in any regard, which is why you routinely hear about pot farms and medical marijuana hangouts getting busted by Feds in the hippier areas of the state like Hayward, Berkeley, etc.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:16 PM

76 posts, read 226,854 times
I don't see anything wrong with it. If I'm not mistaken, the city of Laguna Woods just voted to permit them within the city.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:24 AM

224 posts, read 957,285 times
Laguna Woods did vote to permit them. I agree. I think they are fine.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 AM
MKW

40 posts, read 160,394 times
"The alternate to having dispensaries within a city is buying what is needed through the blackmarket from gang members".

This is hardly accurate. The population of drug users is FAR more than just gang members. And anyone that's used drugs and marijuana knows that you don't have to go to gang members to get it. In fact, I've known a lot of people that use marijuana and I don't think any of them get it from gang members. This is a blanket statement that insinuates that all gang members are also drug dealers, which is not only unfair, but completely false.

As far as dispensaries go, I personally don't think they would be beneficial. I have a family member with a very severe heroin addiction who would take advantage of marijuana dispensaires along with many, many others. This person would go to some quack doctor in LA, pay the guy $50 and get a presciption for medical marijuana. He'd pick up the weed, smoke it in his car and proceed to drive around under the influence. And as I said before, he was one of many who did this all the time.

Obviously these people are going to get marijuana regardless, but why should we make it easier for them when they are being completely irresponsible and dishonest? The same goes for the doctors.

I don't think marijuna dispensaries would be the demise of our society, but I don't have any reasons to believe they'd help it, either.

Old 10-03-2008, 04:45 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,610,547 times
Anybody can drive to LA Co is purchase marijuana but it is an inconvenience from Orange Co. The issue of the Feds closing dispensaries is being dealt with [ie LA City Council has demanded that the DEA stop these raids]. As soon as Bush leaves office the federal government will focus on much more important concerns than sick people smoking weed

Old 10-03-2008, 05:14 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
just the fact that marijuana is illegal in the first place is beyond me. i've personally seen alcohol reek much more havok in my family's life than any drug. with that said, i have no issues with weed dispensaries in either LA, OC, or anywhere for that matter. weed is a relatively harmless drug, especially when compared to its legal counterpart: alcohol. just because jesus drank wine but didn't smoke grass doesn't mean that one should get preferable treatment over the other.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:05 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Anybody can drive to LA Co is purchase marijuana but it is an inconvenience from Orange Co. The issue of the Feds closing dispensaries is being dealt with [ie LA City Council has demanded that the DEA stop these raids]. As soon as Bush leaves office the federal government will focus on much more important concerns than sick people smoking weed
The DEA is the Drug Enforcement Administration. I don't know what you think they're going to do if Obama wins, but marijuana is illegal on a national level and they will continue to pursue people that illegally grow and distribute it.

And seriously, you think a federal agency gives a crap what some city demands?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:16 AM

224 posts, read 957,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
The DEA is the Drug Enforcement Administration. I don't know what you think they're going to do if Obama wins, but marijuana is illegal on a national level and they will continue to pursue people that illegally grow and distribute it.

And seriously, you think a federal agency gives a crap what some city demands?
If the feds decided to raid and shut down a MJ dispensary in Laguna Woods, I suspect that would make all the national news media. It might even bring the thing to a head as to federal legalization for medical purposes.

I see no purpose denying any senior much of anything that makes their lives longer, happier, or less painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County