Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times

Advertisements

While you see a lot of interesting fashion trends in Beach Communities, the overall style of weekend visitors in HB seems to be pulled out of a Riverside County Fair Walmart® Outlet store.

Then you have the midwestern tourist with their sleeveless t-shirts, tube socks, and target tennis shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM

166 posts, read 380,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Then you have the midwestern tourist with their sleeveless t-shirts, tube socks, and target tennis shoes.

You all are dashing my fashion beliefs.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:51 PM

we can spot tourists a mile away

Old 04-20-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
I would be the one with the oversized camera hanging from my neck and the neon colored sunscreen thickly spread upon my nose. And, I will now add my husbands black socks to round out my wardrobe -- I understand that is the latest, hottest CA fashion trend.

Old 04-20-2011, 05:21 PM

Dont forget the fanny pack, worn nattily below the dunlop

Old 04-20-2011, 05:26 PM

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 PM

767 posts, read 1,743,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Granted, that's a very subjective answer but imho, the south, by far have the best dressers. My wife and I moved to Greenville, SC from Los Angeles a year and a half ago and when people go out to our downtown(Which is gorgeous, btw) they all get dressed up; not in a suit, mind you, but nice shirt, khakis, etc. In the summer, it's a nice short sleeve polo shirt, cargo or khaki shorts, etc.

I've done auto shows in Birmingham, Greenville, Greensboro, Knoxville, Nashville and Raleigh and the way the attendees dress isn't even comparable to those in Anaheim. I mean is it too much to ask for a pair of jeans and a non wrinkled shirt?

As to the "bro/skater/surfer" look, it's gross. Flat billed cap, Dickies shorts with Vans and knee high socks, lol. Homeless people are laughing at this look.
Quote:
This is 100% spot on except that the two "styles" are no longer gender specific, I saw a lot of females dressed like the "bro" style; btw, who told these people that almost knee high socks with Vans looked cool? They look like they're all about to retire to Miami and eat dinner at 4:30 in the afternoon.
Quote:
Believe it or not, the complete opposite is true; auto shows are a total microcosm of the local society as a whole. Auto shows are attended by rich and poor alike, young and old, conservative and liberal, black, white, asian and hispanic, male, female, straight and gay. Affinity for the automobile crosses all racial, ethnic, cultural and class barriers and that's why attendees of auto shows are an excellent example of the local population as a whole.

I've worked in Birmingham, Cleveland, Greenville, Greensboro, Houston, Knoxville,Monterrey, Nashville, New York, Philadelphia and Raleigh. Without a doubt the sloppiest dressers that I've ever encountered at an Auto Show were last week in Anaheim. It wasn't just the kids either, the adults looked as bad if not worse; I can't count how many 40 something parents were dressed just like their tween kids, they wanted to be their "buds" not their parents.

I'm not ragging on OC or SoCal, up until a year and a half ago I lived in Burbank. I never noticed how people dressed until I started working the auto show circuit. I was just so shocked and it stood out in my mind and apparently my co-workers as well, all of whom except myself still live in SoCal.
Quote:
I recently worked the Anaheim auto show and having traveled all across the country for my job, I can say without a doubt that the citizens of Orange County are the most unkempt, sloppy dressers in the country. Everyone looked like the just stepped off of the pages of Skater and Surfer Slacker America.

When did it become "cool" to wear mismatched surf/skater clothes with tattered, ugly Vans and socks (usually black) pulled up to almost the knee. I saw this look all weekend and these stupid kids looked so dorky trying so hard to look cool. I commented to one of my co-workers that I didn't realize that it's now trendy to emulate your 68 year old grandfather. All of my co-workers also noticed how awful the majority of people we saw dress. One of them said that they were just , "laid back California cool". I commented that one can be casual without looking like they just stepped out of a dumpster.

Now keep in mind, I'm no fashonista, but is it too much to ask you not to come to a "show" in your bathing suit and skater shoes? Biggest bunch of slobs that I've ever seen. Bar none.
I'm just glad there is no redundancy in your posts. I mean,
I'm just glad there is no redundancy in your posts. What I'm trying to say is that I'm just glad there is no redundancy in your posts.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:52 AM

DinsdalePirahna, how did you get my family pic!?!?!?! My oh my, the kids have grown since this pic was taken. We are quite the striking tourists, aren't we? I was always losing my sunglasses until I found the handy little device that keeps them around my neck now. Isn't it just amazing how much stuff you can carry around your neck and waist while traveling! : )

Old 04-21-2011, 08:56 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,215,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
You are correct. I feel this culture has come from Jessie James; the bike builder. All these people show how sheeple they are by following one man.

Over all though, except for professionals, most people were jeans, t shirts and sneakers to do everything! People have no class anymore because they rather try to look cool or they don't care. Why else would somebody go to the store in there bedtime clothes? I have seen this.

These young kids think they are unique and trendy. There idea of looking different is getting a odd color shirt from urban outfitters.

Anyway, crack open a Time magazine from 1965 or 1977 and you will see a civilization with groomed hair, long dresses, shoes and suits and ties. The people in those times did great things too. Hmmm, could there be a correlation?

Regardless, I guess it comes from Europe but the way I see it is that there are certain type of clothes depending on what you are going to do. But now days, people wear, say, a tennis outfit because it's cute just to go to a mall. I'm fine with that but some people wear clothes that are TOTALLY inappropriate.
Serious... you couldn't PAY me to dress like they did in the '50s! Really? A 3 piece suit, neck choking tie, uncomfortable dress shoes, and hat just to fly somewhere or take a bus... or take out the trash? And the women with those hair-dos that looked like they took an hour to put together, dresses, pearls, heel and hose? People had to be uncomfortable back then. I'm much happier with all casual, all the time if possible.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM

973 posts, read 2,141,172 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm sure we should be easy to pick out. We'll be there in a week. I'm from Ohio & live in Utah now. Besides perhaps clothes, we're all very NOT tan. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County