U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM

4,831 posts, read 4,160,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC California View Post
We moved from California to Georgia a few months ago. We are very close to my family and I am second guessing my decision only because I miss my family. If they lived here I would be so happy as I like GA a lot and can see a very nice life for our children. We left southern california because of the cost of living. We wanted to buy a house and I wanted to be a stay at home mom to our young children.That hardly exisits there, both parents work and infants and toddlers are in daycare.

We stuck it out but were not able to find anything we could afford. My husband took a job transfer to Georgia. We can afford to buy a nice house with a yard and I can stay home with the children, We could have a great life here.

I miss my family very much and most importantly feel very badly about my children not having their grandparents in their daily life,holidays etc. I had that growing up and it was nice to have my grandparents and aunt's,uncle's,and cousins around and spending every holiday together.

We will be lucky to visit 1-2 times a year which is not very much.

I am fearful to buy a house now in GA as I see the housing market to continue to decline and wonder if it will go low enough for us to possible move back to Ca and buy a tiny house, I would need to work-part time though. Or do we go forward with our plans and live this great life here in a beautiful spacious house with a yard and slower paced lifestyle. My husband does not want to move back, he is excited about building our life here and the potential we have to not struggle and worry about finances and our future. He is getting annoyed with me for being on the fence and not wanting to buy a house here. I am stalling our happiness or am I ? What is happiness, a great stress-free day to day life? Extended Family??

I am struggling with what is the morally right thing to do? Be with family and share all the moments or make my life here with my own little family and visit the extended family whenever we can.

I miss OC beaches, places and my family ...but not the snobby people.People in GA are so friendly.

Thank you.

We moved our family from Irvine to Keller TX a year ago. We had a little different situation. We moved to be near our oldest daughter and be grandparents.

My wife really misses her parents and our friends but the positives far outweigh the negatives for us. TX will never be CA but as we grow older and we see our kids have a better start at life and having families we will be glad we made the decision we did.

No regrets here.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 08:09 PM

491 posts, read 496,214 times
We just moved from OC to South Carolina. Two of our grown newly married children are still there, living in expensive apartments with very little hope of saving up for a home. We left for cost of living reasons as well and are hoping that eventually our kids will move out this way. For half the cost of an apartment, they could purchase a nice 3 bedroom home here with a nice yard. With the money we are saving, we have plenty extra to fly back and forth.

We were worried about the economy in CA and also felt strongly it was smarter to ride it out in an area with a more reasonable cost of living. We have a much larger home, a yard large enough for a garden, and room for the kids if they would want to live here for awhile.

We know many people in OC who had no idea that there were other beautiful places to live in the USA.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:02 PM

53 posts, read 111,867 times
Thank you Kara G.

How did your kids feel about you moving? MY hang up is seeing home prices decline and just wondering if I could have bought a home in so cal if I wait another 6 months or so. It is a toss up because I don't want to miss out on a good opportunity here in GA plus my husband wants to get a move on and buy a house so that we can stop renting and finally move on and get our lives and home life settled. My parents do not like "change" and they just love so cal, especially the weather.They can afford to live there because they bought their house 8 years ago when it was more affordable. Maybe in time they will realize that nice weather and their house is not the most important thing, being a part of the grandkids life is. THey have been devasted since we left. The weather in Ga is really not bad, summer is uncomfortable but you get through it. I tell them all the time the weather is not that horrible. So cal has been humid and hot this summer and even up until recently so what is the difference???

Hopefully, your kids will realize very soon how stressful and difficult it is to afford to actually "live" a quality life in the OC. There is LIFE after the OC and their are many beautiful places to live.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 PM

336 posts, read 821,864 times
Hi, I was born in California and raised in OC. I married a Marine in 1966 and moved to Minnesota when he got out. I really missed my friends and sisters. I was not real close to my dad and stepmom and was kind of the rebel of the family. I did not get to go back to California for a vacation for 7 years - and when I got there I was so excited. I put my 2 children (3 & 5 yrs) and our little poodle in the car and drove nearly 2,000 miles myself. I drove for so many hours, my eyes were totally bloodshot by the time I got there. But it was worth it. When I crossed the California state line, I could hardly believe it. My husband always made up excuses why we couldn't go, so I just did it myself. One sister married a guy from Milwaukee, so she ended up there. When they got divorced, she went back to California. The other sister married a guy from Neenah Wisconsin, so she ended up back there. They moved back to California for awhile but went back to Wisconsin because the money just didn't go far enough and he missed his family. I did not see one of my sisters for 17 years. And now that my family is gone and I am older, I wish I had been able to see my parents more. But my kids had a good life and many more opportunities here. And I was able to stay home with them until we divorced when they were in Jr. High. My parents were working out of the country for many years so I wouldn't have seen them anyway during that time. But during the holidays we always spent it with my husbands family and I never got to see mine. My kids didn't even know who that grandma and grandpa really were. But I only went back for a week in 1972 and then for my dads birthday in 1986. I was back for 5 days in 1996 but my aunt was the only relative still there to visit.

OMG, I didn't mean to write a book - - - I think we all have different situations and you have to decide what is best for everyone. I chose to stay in Minnesota because my husband refused to raise our kids in California and he did not like it there. But I missed it very much and I still love to watch any movie or show that is filmed out there so I can see the scenery that reminds me of where I grew up.

Old 10-28-2008, 10:38 PM

49,292 posts, read 45,833,123 times
people marry have kids and often forget their parents. but the bible concept of family is taking care of your parents. that has been my choice, and it has made all the difference.

Old 10-28-2008, 11:22 PM
tew

209 posts, read 409,982 times
Quote:
TEW...
My situation would be exactly the same if we moved back....either living in a condo in Orange County close to my family or possibly Murrieta or Temecula. We could afford a home out there but I really don't like Riverside County. The air qaulity is horrible and I think there are pockets of trashy low class people out there. There are days I wonder if living in a place you really don't care for is worth it to be an hour drive away from everyone vs a plane ride $$$. We could do it for a few years until our kids are in school and I am back to work and then try to move back to OC, but it will still be a struggle still. If we stay in GA, the money I make when I go back to work we can save,401K, family vacations etc. Less stress and a financially secure future. I feel bad about trading money and a home for the experience of being near family for my kids.

GA is really pretty as I am sure Colorado is. How often do you visit your family? Irvine is nice but too expensive.

Before moving to CO we looked into Oceanside/Carlsbad area. But for what we could afford, it wasnt worth it. We never looked into Corona,or the cities in that area cause the traffic sucks, the schools are not that great, and there is lots of bad parts of that area. I have a friend that lives out there. She told me the schools are bad that she pays for private school. For you its different though. I had only been to CO for vacation. You live in GA and know what its like to live there. I didnt have family of friends here. Weve been back to CA 9 times in 2 years. The longest we were there was in May for 6 weeks. Its a lot but my husband can work in Irvine when were there and not have to use vacation time. We also stay with my parents so we dont pay for a hotel. We can go back cause we have money to do it. If we stayed in CA we would have never gone anywhere cause wed be broke.

I havent read the other posts. Ill do that to see what everyone has said.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:29 AM
tew

209 posts, read 409,982 times
"We know many people in OC who had no idea that there were other beautiful places to live in the USA. "
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True that Kara

I didnt realize how nice CO was and how great my son is going to grow up with the 4 seasons unlike me (growing up in CA). He really likes the snow so does my dog.

Old 10-29-2008, 09:27 AM

491 posts, read 496,214 times
Quote:
Thank you Kara G.

How did your kids feel about you moving? MY hang up is seeing home prices decline and just wondering if I could have bought a home in so cal if I wait another 6 months or so. ....Hopefully, your kids will realize very soon how stressful and difficult it is to afford to actually "live" a quality life in the OC. There is LIFE after the OC and their are many beautiful places to live.
Of course they didn't want us to move, but my son is already planning on moving out of the state in the next 2-3 years. My daughter wishes she could have a real house and yard like the one she grew up in when we lived in the midwest, so we're hoping that we can convince them when they come to visit.

It's not just housing, it's jobs too. Our family had several economy-related job losses/changes in the past year - layoffs, company shut down, company moved to the Inland Empire. It's tougher for companies there too. We were just looking for a more stable economy, but still close to the mountains & the beach (with warm ocean water).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County