U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 PM

3 posts, read 14,485 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
New here and am happy to join. Well, it seems like we're going to be moving to northern orange county after all. We were looking for homes around the $1.5M price range and are leaning towards northern orange county. Specifically Brea, Placentia, Fullerton, Yorba Linda, and Anaheim Hills/Orange. However, the area that I really liked was in Yorba Linda, newer homes and pretty neighborhoods but a little too close to the $2M range. However, as I was driving by Yorba Linda, I couldn't help but notice how many caucasian's lived in the area. A lot of them seemed like pretty uptight upper class snobs who weren't really that friendly. My husband and I are of Pakistani descent. For example, we went to the public library the other day just to check things out and get some information about the events in the city and immediately you could sense how the people were reluctant to talk to you. We also went to the Vons nearby and felt that the cashier and staff were quite rude. I've been told that the school system in Placentia/Yorba Linda is quite good, that's a big plus for us. However, after the racism we've noticed, I'm not too sure if I'd want my kids to go there.

Is racism really prevelant throughout most of northern orange county? Or is it just the parts of Yorba Linda and Placentia. In general, how tolerant are people of middle eastern and south asians? Are there any diverse neighborhoods anyone can recommend I take a look at? I hope I don't affend anyone but I really want my children to live in an atmosphere where they can make friends with the neighbors and don't struggle for acceptance.

Sincerely,
Sara

Old 11-01-2008, 11:47 PM

16,585 posts, read 20,518,608 times
I hope you're not interpreting general rudeness as racism.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:54 PM

15,819 posts, read 32,425,087 times
You might like orange park acres

Old 11-02-2008, 12:33 AM

3 posts, read 14,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Nope, I saw the way they treated caucasian individuals as opposed to the way I was treated.

Orange Park Acres is definitely a really pretty area. However, it seems a tad bit too expensive and a bit too close to the fire area.

Old 11-02-2008, 01:21 AM

5,112 posts, read 12,122,186 times
OC is fairly diverse and accepting, but I'm sure you'll find folks everywhere that are scared of change and of other culture. I think you'll be fine honestly, but because of the nature of most of So Cal(fairly well segregated by culture), there will be instances where you'll encounter intolerant people. My Pakistani and Indian friends that I've known since my school days(which aren't very much due to demographics) have been happy with our community(Los Alamitos/Seal Beach/Rossmoor), but I don't know what they've put up with personally as they've never shared any of that with me

Old 11-02-2008, 01:17 AM

3,309 posts, read 3,661,413 times
Anaheim Hills is NOT like that at all. There are a lot of upper class middle eastern people who live in AH.

Old 11-02-2008, 07:13 AM

4,360 posts, read 3,664,541 times
Of course she is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 AM

Location: Southern California native, now a few miles from Lake Michigan
805 posts, read 2,482,586 times
Want to see racism? Live in Compton, Inglewood, South Central, or some of the other non-caucasian areas of southern Calif, and you will experience things *much* worse than rudeness.
Rudeness and racism aren't the same thing, by the way. Being overly sensitive, or worse yet playing the race card, won't be very good strategies for you to be "accepted."

Old 11-02-2008, 09:41 AM

10,703 posts, read 9,582,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smile100 View Post
Hi all,
New here and am happy to join. Well, it seems like we're going to be moving to northern orange county after all. We were looking for homes around the $1.5M price range and are leaning towards northern orange county. Specifically Brea, Placentia, Fullerton, Yorba Linda, and Anaheim Hills/Orange. However, the area that I really liked was in Yorba Linda, newer homes and pretty neighborhoods but a little too close to the $2M range. However, as I was driving by Yorba Linda, I couldn't help but notice how many caucasian's lived in the area. A lot of them seemed like pretty uptight upper class snobs who weren't really that friendly. My husband and I are of Pakistani descent. For example, we went to the public library the other day just to check things out and get some information about the events in the city and immediately you could sense how the people were reluctant to talk to you. We also went to the Vons nearby and felt that the cashier and staff were quite rude. I've been told that the school system in Placentia/Yorba Linda is quite good, that's a big plus for us. However, after the racism we've noticed, I'm not too sure if I'd want my kids to go there.

Is racism really prevelant throughout most of northern orange county? Or is it just the parts of Yorba Linda and Placentia. In general, how tolerant are people of middle eastern and south asians? Are there any diverse neighborhoods anyone can recommend I take a look at? I hope I don't affend anyone but I really want my children to live in an atmosphere where they can make friends with the neighbors and don't struggle for acceptance.

Sincerely,
Sara

How were you dressed? Were you dressed like a typical American or in foreign looking clothes?

Old 11-02-2008, 10:19 AM

224 posts, read 654,005 times
I thought Pakistanis are caucasian. No?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County