Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 10:27 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,388,424 times

Advertisements

OC proudly preserves what was the norm for most places in California a mere generation ago. As of the early 1970s when I was a kid, the only liberal parts of this state were SF, Berkeley, Palo Alto, Marin, Venice Beach, Isla Vista and a few other pockets. The rest was solid "Old West" conservative. In other words, it was still part of the real West.

It's actually sort of amazing that conservatism survives in some form in OC, oh so near to now very liberal LA. It would be sad if the whole state became a monolithic leftist sea. How boring that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 12:14 AM

241 posts, read 939,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
most places in California a mere generation ago. As of the early 1970s when I was a kid, the only liberal parts of this state were SF, Berkeley, Palo Alto, Marin, Venice Beach, Isla Vista and a few other pockets. The rest was solid "Old West" conservative. In other words, it was still part of the real West.
Don't know about old west conservative thats like for other places farther away. Not even sure California was ever a conservative place when it really is a new place. Really think California is a new place with people coming other side of country and outside not like the east coast or southeast in history of being conservative.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:25 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,587,825 times
Quote:
OC proudly preserves what was the norm for most places in California a mere generation ago. As of the early 1970s when I was a kid, the only liberal parts of this state were SF, Berkeley, Palo Alto, Marin, Venice Beach, Isla Vista and a few other pockets.
The West Side of LA (not just Venice) and Hollywood were conservative in the early '70s? LOL

And tell me, who controlled the State Legislature in the early '70s?

Quote:
The rest was solid "Old West" conservative.
I think you confuse moderate with conservative ; they're not the same thing. Republican doesn't necessarily mean conservative.

Quote:
In other words, it was still part of the real West.
Know anything about the politics of "real Western" Washington, Oregon, and Colorado in the early '70s?

I'd characterize those states' politics at that time as moderate/centrist - which historically was a dominant trend in CA politics. I think you confuse moderate with conservative.

Quote:
It's actually sort of amazing that conservatism survives in some form in OC, oh so near to now very liberal LA.
And, ironically, for much of the 20th century LA was a Dem city while SF was a GOP city, even though LA was to SF's right at the time. Again, Democratic doesn't necessarily mean liberal, and Republican doesn't necessarily mean conservative. I was too young to have been around during the time of SF's last two Republican mayors, but from what I've heard and read I would vote for either of them in a minute - and I don't think either would be welcome in the current GOP.

Quote:
It would be sad if the whole state became a monolithic leftist sea. How boring that would be.
Prop 11 once it goes into effect in 2012 will help reduce the number of crazies on both sides.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:11 AM

241 posts, read 939,565 times
there really no real history of california mostly a conservative place. Not even enough to say anything.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciously View Post
there really no real history of california mostly a conservative place. Not even enough to say anything.
CA has always had some conservative pockets, OC being one, even though the state's political culture historically tended towards the center. OC's conservatism, as said earlier in this thread, came from it being settled primarily by Texans, Louisianans, and people from the Lower Midwest, which was amplified by the big Okie migrations (many of whom were actually from Texas and Arkansas as well as Oklahoma) of the 1930s/40s. They brought their conservatism with them from back home.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:44 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,605,568 times
Thanks for the interesting historical info, majoun

I was born in California also & can't remember any political conflict in the "old days" until Governor Reagan attacked anti-war protests in Berkeley by dropping tear gas from helicopters. It really was a "battle zone" & the student activists were seriously at war with Reagan & LBJ. That's when I realized how powerful the Left is in California. But, otherwise, it didn't seem like Republicans were all that different from Democrats in gubernatorial issues. Too bad the religious right took over the GOP & accelerated California into a Democratic stronghold. The influence of California as a liberal force is dramatically illustrated in how quickly Schwarzenegger embraced the will of the California people & left the Republican party of Bush. Smart move

Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Thanks for the interesting historical info, majoun

I was born in California also & can't remember any political conflict in the "old days" until Governor Reagan attacked anti-war protests in Berkeley by dropping tear gas from helicopters.
I vaguely remember the antiwar protests when LBJ visited L.A. and stayed at the Century Plaza Hotel from my parents' complaining about it being crazy. I was in 1st grade at the time and didn't comprehend the issues involved.

Quote:
It really was a "battle zone" & the student activists were seriously at war with Reagan & LBJ. That's when I realized how powerful the Left is in California.
True.

Quote:
But, otherwise, it didn't seem like Republicans were all that different from Democrats in gubernatorial issues.
Not to mention that L.A.'s Dem mayor Sam Yorty was to the right of SF's GOP mayor Christopher.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:30 PM

2 posts, read 8,620 times
Because OC is predominantly white and most of the people down OC is prejudice.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:02 AM

2,769 posts, read 7,232,452 times
Quote:

It's actually sort of amazing that conservatism survives in some form in OC, oh so near to now very liberal LA. It would be sad if the whole state became a monolithic leftist sea. How boring that would be.
I don't even think boring is the right word, how loony would that be is the better question.

Old 04-19-2009, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterrum View Post
Because OC is predominantly white and most of the people down OC is prejudice.
Whiteness has nothing to do with it. The percentage of whites in OC is similar to the percentage of whites in San Francisco, so that's obviously not a factor.

Where the population that settled OC came from and the traditions they brought with them, which became the traditions and cultural roots of OC, are more of a factor.

Last edited by majoun; 04-19-2009 at 02:43 AM.. Reason: part of the response was to another post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County