U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-19-2009, 05:36 AM

5,112 posts, read 12,131,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterrum View Post
Because OC is predominantly white and most of the people down OC is prejudice.
Maybe you should look in a mirror
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 01:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,896 times
Oh wow. Looks like some of the people in oc were the only ones with a little bit of sense. The obamessiah hasn't been able to save the world, in fact he has made the economy worst. But no surprise that people in california voted for a guy who is intent on destroying the us economy, because california has already destroyed their own economy and way of life. Just keep voting for libs, and stay in california. Then again libs are inherently selfish so their voting habits destroyed california, so now they are trying to get out to more conservative redder pastures. Then when they reach there theY vote in more crazy libs to make life unbearable for their kids,(if they have any) and the younger generation, all in the guise of helping people, when in actuality they are helping nobody but their own selfish narcissistic egos. Liberals will learn one day.
The leftist policies of California has turned it into a cesspit. Hardly, any Americans are moving into California anymore, at least compared to the ones hauling azz to get out. The newcomers to California are mainly, immigrants legal and illegal. Those crazy red states like Texas and even Utah and Idaho have plenty of Americans piling in, even from.... well California. Liberal policies do not work, that's why California is effed up that's why Michigan is effed up, that's why Massachusetts is effed up, and Now Obama wants to up to eff up the entire country by turning it into California via Chicago style politics

Last edited by liptorteabag; 11-13-2009 at 02:00 AM..

Old 11-13-2009, 10:46 AM

3,536 posts, read 3,565,092 times
Mostly because of the nature of suburbs. Orange County, Ventura County, Northern San Diego County, Western Riverside County, and San Bernardino County are all VERY Republican. The type of people that moved here initially wanted to be in their own enclaves. The suburban belt in Southern California has a fairly narrow band of incomes (most are making 70k-100k), the majority has taken some college, and the majority self identify as White (including Hispanics). Many Hispanics in these middle/upper middle income communities are not recent immigrants. Thus, they tend to vote more conservatively. It is interesting to note that middle income immigrants are likely to vote conservatively as well, as whereas lower income immigrants will vote more liberally. With a higher percentage of Christians in the region, many will vote conservative on social issues.

With that being said, as the suburban counties continue to grow and attract both disenfranchised populations as well as younger, college educated individuals (since the echo-boomers, my generation, comprise the second largest segment of the population and is currently poised to be the most educated demographic) the trend will continue towards becoming more blue. I feel that it will never be San Francisco, however, Riverside County (long a bastion of Republican voting) voted for Obama. Trend and sign of things to come or simply a reaction to Bush? Who knows...

Old 11-13-2009, 11:01 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,520,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Which is why we need more than two candidates to choose from for president. Yes, there are other names on the ballot...but we never get to hear their message and they never have a shot of winning.
Don't I know that!!! I am American Independent and typically vote for my party's candidate. Though I have very often listened to Rush, I don't appreciate his calling of the 1% of us that did not vote Republican or Democrat in the election "crazies".

Old 11-13-2009, 11:18 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,520,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMonk View Post
The reason why OC is republican is simple.

OC people are totally obsessed with money and materialism. They believe they the Republican party will protect their wealth. Therefore they vote Republican.
Too simplistic for a county with a higher population than many STATES in the country.

And a diverse one, at that. If you don't think so, drive your car from north to south and east to west. After that, take some bus trips on the OCTA.

To generalize about OC people being obsessed with money and materialism because some of them have quite a bit of it is off. There are plenty of poor here, and I'm sure that a number of them have the same obsession; it just is expressed differently. And don't tell me that most people who vote Democrat don't want to keep as much of what they have as possible.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:21 PM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
Don't be fooled by the arguments about how Orange Countians are "rugged individualists". The real reason is simply the mix of demographics. The types of communities that tend to vote Republican (young family exurbs and upper income neighborhoods) are more prevalent relative to those that vote Democratic (urban areas of singles). If Santa Ana had the size and characteristics of L.A. or San Diego, Orange County would be much bluer than it is. This is the same phenomenon that differentiates red states from blue ones.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 PM

364 posts, read 312,238 times
Unless I'm wrong I think that once you get outide of the big metro areas like LA and SF most of California's counties are red. Maybe they are fed up enough to get out and vote in the coming elections.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:10 AM

1,273 posts, read 2,791,869 times
The 2008 election was a special one. Typically only Santa Barbara, Los Angeles, and Imperial Counties vote Democratic in both federal and state elections. Orange County is a GOP stronghold because the Republican leadership that has controlled the county, basically since its creation, has done a good job in the eyes of its residents. Orange County also has the characteristics of a Republican area (mostly suburban, more religious, mostly families, more educated, more affluent). Even if you take a look at the most affluent suburbs of Los Angeles County like San Marino and La Canada Flintridge, both have historically voted Republican. Also the Asian communities in Southern California tend to vote strongly GOP. Key examples of this would be to look at communities like San Marino and Irvine.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:37 AM

14,141 posts, read 16,506,598 times
I'm not sure how much it has to do with those factors you cite. I live in the most affluent congressional district (VA-11) in the country in the county with the highest median income (Fairfax) and we normally vote Democratic. Orange County's not even in the top 20 on that list, by the way. Our U.S. and state Reps. are all Democrats and we went heavily for Obama. The only thing I can think of is that we're not particularly religious. I would challenge your assertion that higher income and more educated folks vote Republican. The Repub strongholds (besides Orange County) now are generally rural areas in the South and Midwest that aren't particularly affluent or well educated.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:11 PM

1,472 posts, read 1,232,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterrum View Post
Because OC is predominantly white and most of the people down OC is prejudice.
No, they am just believe in utilizing better grammar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County