Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2007, 01:10 PM

9 posts, read 23,690 times

Advertisements

Greetings, My wife and I are living in St.Louis, Mo. We are looking to relocate to just about anywhere in California within the next 6-8 months.
I am well aware of the cost of living differences between MO. and CA.
With that being said...i was born in Culver City, CA. and have visited several times in the past few years. My wife and I own a home now but when we move would it be better to rent?
I am a journeyman faux finisher and painter and also a carpenter. I am currently running a 50,000 sqft. wherehouse for the company I work for and I'm also involved with tradeshow booths(setup/teardown/modifications).I'm also a welder. So I have a lot of portable skills.
My wife is an optician and has 10yrs. experience in that field.
We are both 36.
Any ideas as to where our best bet might be?
We're also quite tired of the midwestern political atmosphere.
I've literally checked out every town listed on this sight and I've heard alot about crime and gangs...Yawn...Check out St.Louis' crime stats sometime!
Hell, even Compton is 3x's lower that good ole St.Louie. That doesn't mean I'm looking for a dangerous place to live, just a happy medium.
So far Apple Valley and Yucaipa and a few others don't sound too bad...
Any help or suggestions would be great. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 08:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,457,515 times
Wait a little while, the home prices are beginning to come down.

I'll answer everything you need to know in a little bit, I gotta run tonight.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:14 AM

1. Definently rent if moving in 6-8 months. The foreclosure on Southern California homes has skyrocked, the California Homeowner Commission has stated they believe homes will come down as much as 150K in certain parts. I would definently rent, many Californians are heading out of California due to the increase of housing prices over the past fifteen years. The bubble is definently beginning to break and will continue to do so. There's alot of Construction work out here, and the competition for work in SoCal is not very high in comparision to other areas. There's no shortage of workers, if you can establish yourself as a sub-contractor as you are in Missouri, you can make very good money, ecspecially in high growth areas of Los Angeles, i.e. Riverside, San Bernardino, Kern Counties. There are plenty of jobs for an optician, as there for any field in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area.

2. Apple Valley and Yucaipa are great places to live. The schools are excellent, and you are closer to winter/summer distinct seasons. You could look into Redlands, Fontana, Corona, Norco, Clairmont, Rancho Cucamonga, Temecula, Murrieta, San Dimas, Glendora, La Verne, Loma Linda. I'm not sure if you were looking outside of the city as were your first choices. These places still have very expensive housing, I'm not sure of your price range, but you can do the research. Up North, look into Acton. All places listed will be quite warm in the summer, but a nice, dry heat, not the sweltering humid heat of the midwest. That's basically the only season. There's a million cities I could give you in all certain directions, it would help me greatly if you could narrow down exactly what your looking for.

I HOPE THAT HELPS!

Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
1. Definently rent if moving in 6-8 months. The foreclosure on Southern California homes has skyrocked, the California Homeowner Commission has stated they believe homes will come down as much as 150K in certain parts. I would definently rent, many Californians are heading out of California due to the increase of housing prices over the past fifteen years. The bubble is definently beginning to break and will continue to do so. There's alot of Construction work out here, and the competition for work in SoCal is not very high in comparision to other areas. There's no shortage of workers, if you can establish yourself as a sub-contractor as you are in Missouri, you can make very good money, ecspecially in high growth areas of Los Angeles, i.e. Riverside, San Bernardino, Kern Counties. There are plenty of jobs for an optician, as there for any field in the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area.

2. Apple Valley and Yucaipa are great places to live. The schools are excellent, and you are closer to winter/summer distinct seasons. You could look into Redlands, Fontana, Corona, Norco, Clairmont, Rancho Cucamonga, Temecula, Murrieta, San Dimas, Glendora, La Verne, Loma Linda. I'm not sure if you were looking outside of the city as were your first choices. These places still have very expensive housing, I'm not sure of your price range, but you can do the research. Up North, look into Acton. All places listed will be quite warm in the summer, but a nice, dry heat, not the sweltering humid heat of the midwest. That's basically the only season. There's a million cities I could give you in all certain directions, it would help me greatly if you could narrow down exactly what your looking for.

I HOPE THAT HELPS!
Wow thanks, Yeah we are looking for something in a smaller town atmosphere 15,000 to 100,000 people.And preferably closer(within 50-70 miles)to the coast.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOCali View Post
Wow thanks, Yeah we are looking for something in a smaller town atmosphere 15,000 to 100,000 people.And preferably closer(within 50-70 miles)to the coast.
Whoa, LOL! I'll help you out friend, but the list could be extremely long. I think almost every city in the Metropolitan Los Angeles Area is between both those ranges. DEFINENTLY WAIT, DO NOT BUY UNTIL THE MARKET REALLY COOLS OFF, I WOULD DEFINENTLY RENT.

Old 02-22-2007, 08:56 AM

Yeah, We're not too picky. I've lived in small towns as well as very large. Although I guess i would prefer closer to the 15,000 mark. I guess I'm just trying to find something with not too much of a commute time at least for my wife. Renting is our plan.

Old 02-24-2007, 10:28 PM

6 posts, read 26,637 times
comton does have a lower crime rate but its still unbelievably dangerous.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:52 AM

2,071 posts, read 11,999,892 times
Look into Diamond Bar.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:22 AM

178 posts, read 734,423 times
Good choice on renting. Dusesean is right... we're on the brink of
collapsing home prices. Where they will bottom is anyone's guess
but they will be coming down for at least 2 years and with rent being
about half the payment of owning it's a smart move to rent because
you'll save a ton if you wait to buy in 2 years.

Old 02-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfunkclydefrog View Post
comton does have a lower crime rate but its still unbelievably dangerous.
Agreed. I guess what I am saying is that you can find dangerous places all over.I actually live in St.Louis proper and we are a very segregated city.About 60% African American..I am White and to be quite honest I don't feel threatened at all.Most of it is how you carry yourself.But I of course would like to find a place that is a little less 'dangerous' that's all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County