Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 05:39 PM

58 posts, read 161,834 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that real estate prices in places like Lake Elsinore have really dropped, and to a lesser extent ORange county. I am considering moving to one or the other, but was curious how far/how long it would take to get to Newport Beach from Lake Elsinore? I really like the things to do in Newport and surrounding area. I am considering areas like Lake forest , mission V, ladera ranch etc, but you get a lot less for your money. The homes in Lake elsinore look nice, but people say it is hot and seedy in certain areas.

Basically, if a person is single, would they just be better off in OC, or living in a nicer home in LE and driving to southern oc for social life? I work out of my home, so dealing with traffic isn't a problem..so what trade off is better lesser home live in oc and closer to activites....or bigger, much cheaper home live in elsinore ?
Also, aproximately what are property taxes like per every $100,000 value in home? would it be fair to say prpoert taxes are $1000 per $100,000?

I lived in Los Angeles for a few years, but it is a little to intense, to me, oc might be more tomy liking. Also, San Diego seems nice, but homes seem just as expensive and SD is a little too mellow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 06:35 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
over an hour from NB to Elsinore using Ortega

property taxes are 1% of purchase price plus other assessments. newer areas of south orange county are closer to 2%. areas like lake forest and mission viejo will be cheaper(in older developments) and closer to 1%

Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
over an hour from NB to Elsinore using Ortega

property taxes are 1% of purchase price plus other assessments. newer areas of south orange county are closer to 2%. areas like lake forest and mission viejo will be cheaper(in older developments) and closer to 1%

would Ladera Ranch be a 2%?

Old 11-16-2008, 06:50 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Lake Elsinore is where families priced out of OC wind up. I can't imagine a single person liking it out there unless you live to boat on the lake. Lake Elsinore to Newport Beach isn't a drive you'd want to make very often. You say dealing with traffic won't be a problem, but it will. The 91 is very, very crowded most of the time. I've been stuck in bumper to bumper traffic going east at 7pm on a Saturday and 11am on a weekday. So the odds of getting stuck in traffic are very high no matter the time, day, or direction. Ortega Highway is a long, dark, narrow road through the mountains. Not exactly the kind of road you want to be on at 1am after partying in Newport. If you want to spend your time in OC, you need to live in OC.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
would Ladera Ranch be a 2%?
Yeah, plus hefty HOA dues.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:57 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
I would move where your job is. If it is in newport, live in newport. Anything over 30 miles you are pushing it. It will be a matter of time before gas gets back up to $4+/gallon. You don't want to be one of the suckers who realizes that he can't afford to drive to work from riverside because of gas prices.

Old 11-16-2008, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah, plus hefty HOA dues.

Ouch..thats like new York , texas or wisconsin property taxes

Old 11-16-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Ouch..thats like new York , texas or wisconsin property taxes
Yeah having an expensive HOA really adds to your overall housing cost. Spending $300/mo on dues is the equivalent of spending an extra $240k on the property at a 1.5% tax rate. And of course those dues will go up and if you're really lucky, you'll get hit with special assessments. You've also got to check the community out very well especially now with all the foreclosures. Empty homes don't pay any dues so guess who gets to pick up the slack.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yeah having an expensive HOA really adds to your overall housing cost. Spending $300/mo on dues is the equivalent of spending an extra $240k on the property at a 1.5% tax rate. And of course those dues will go up and if you're really lucky, you'll get hit with special assessments. You've also got to check the community out very well especially now with all the foreclosures. Empty homes don't pay any dues so guess who gets to pick up the slack.

I spend $250 a month now on condo fees..includes cable, electricity, garbage, insurance and any forseen future repairs (like a new roof)

townhouse/condos always have monthly fees no matter where you are

Old 11-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
I spend $250 a month now on condo fees..includes cable, electricity, garbage, insurance and any forseen future repairs (like a new roof)

townhouse/condos always have monthly fees no matter where you are
Except here a lot of houses have them too and all you get for it is some nazi driving around looking for grass that's 1/8" too long or houses that are the wrong shade of beige.

I've never heard of HOA dues including electricity. Sometimes cable but usually not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County