U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2007, 02:49 PM

3 posts, read 354,324 times

Advertisements

Is orange county at as great a risk of an earthquake disaster as Los ANgeles.Do any of you who live there ever worry about quakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 03:58 PM

989 posts, read 5,420,011 times
The researchers placed the following Orange County areas at the highest risk of generating an earthquake:

Puente Hills: The Puente Hills fault in north Orange County could produce a jolt with a similar or slightly larger impact than the Northridge earthquake. Furthermore, if the Whittier fault, which runs through the Puente Hills foothills, breaks at the same time, the two faults together would generate a combined earthquake that could be several times larger than Northridge. A large event on the Whittier fault would damage the 91, 57 and 605 freeways, the water supply for Orange County and nearly all the communication, gas and petroleum lines serving the county. The geologic history suggests this fault could break any time.

The San Joaquin Hills fault is accommodating the uplift and growth of the coastal regions of Orange County from Seal Beach to Dana Point. This fault is probably connected to the offshore Newport-Inglewood fault that comes ashore at Superior and Pacific Coast Highway in Newport Beach and continues north all the way to Beverly Hills. If both faults were to rupture simultaneously, they would affect an area as much as five times larger than the area affected by the Northridge quake!!!!!!! HOWEVER Fortunately, evidence suggests that the San Joaquin Hills fault broke 200 to 300 years ago, indicating that it would be unlikely to happen again for another several hundred years! Fewww..

Santa Ana Mountains. No one has determined that a fault exists under the Santa Ana Mountains, but some professors at UCI think it is likely. Preliminary research shows that these mountains and the Irvine foothills to the west are being thrust upward, presumably by large earthquakes. An earthquake here would have an impact two to three times greater than the Northridge quake!

The coastal sections of Southern Orange County are presumably safe for now. The Newport-Inglewood Fault, one of the most active faults in California, crosses just east of the shore in Huntington Beach to it's termination in Newport Beach. In my research and humble opinion, Dana Point looks like the safest city but don't take my money on it!

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 02-23-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 02-27-2007, 01:06 AM

3 posts, read 59,366 times
You remind me of myself when I first moved to here. I think in general the highest risk is near the mountains north of LA and inland going south east from San Bernardino. Near the coast the further south you go the better you are (because the major fault zones move further inland), but this doesn't include factors like soil liquefaction and made land.

I think the way you should look at it is to be prepared. First, try and live in a newer home or building or in a structure that has been seismically retrofitted (not sure how you'd determine this). Next, make preparations that your furniture is secured and that you have an emergency kit including food and water for several days to a week (because your ability to get these may be cut off in an earthquake's aftermath). I found with myself by being somewhat educated and prepared, it greatly reduced my concerns about quakes.

Old 03-05-2007, 07:23 AM

556 posts, read 1,481,280 times
Quakes are scarry a deal. I was surprised to see someone actually bring it up on here though. The last big quake, Northridge, was back in '94. Seems like almost everyone has forgotten about it too.

I was there for the Northridge quake in '94 and the Whittier Quake in '88. Neither was especially close to Fullerton (Where I lived) but boy could you feel them! My only advice would be to stay away from cheap new construction built on the side of a hill. It is unlikely that anyone will write you an earthquake insurance policy, so just exercise some common sense when pikcing you home and you will probably be okay.

Its funny, a few years back at 2 in the morning there was a small quake in Yorba Linda... a real baby... not even a 5.0. I shugged my shoulders and went back to what I was doing and didn't give it a second thought. Some friends who had moved to California from Pennsylvannia were scared to death! They thought it was the big one! My point is, once you have gone through a big earthquake once... it really isn't that big of a thing when you feel little earthquakes and aftershocks. Most people who have lived in OC all their lives don't even get out of bed for anything less than a 5.0.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 PM

20 posts, read 108,120 times
I don't waste my time worrying about earthquakes.
I've lived in Laguna Beach for 5 years...saw my chandelier move once...didn't feel a thing! I think that was the time that was the one in the above Yorba Linda post...

I grew up in the Midwest...many tornadoes, lightning strikes, blizzards, and GREAT FLOODS!
I lived on Long Island and had the eye of a Hurricane go directly over my house(Gloria) and weathered many a NorEaster Storm pulling huge trees out from their roots!

No ... I don't worry about earthquakes...I'm concerned more about forest fires, but have confidence in our fire departments and land management preventative measures they take. The worry about fires would be more near the forest and open land areas.

More people are killed from ice storms, freezing from blackouts etc than earthquakes so just check out some real figures. Every area in the world has something to worry about. I choose GREAT WEATHER...perfect everyday!

Old 03-08-2007, 02:10 PM

32 posts, read 187,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reverendjohn View Post
Is orange county at as great a risk of an earthquake disaster as Los ANgeles.Do any of you who live there ever worry about quakes.
In a word, no. I lived in LA County for 10 years, then Orange County for 33. We definitely feel earthquakes here in OC, but they haven't caused damage that I know of. LA is worse, particularly the San Fernando Valley of LA, which is where Northridge is.

Old 03-09-2007, 01:15 PM

32 posts, read 187,369 times
Wait, as far as damage: We did have the big A fall off of Angel Stadium during the Northridge quake, as I remember. No big deal, though

Old 03-11-2007, 01:27 AM

107 posts, read 951,702 times
I'm glad I found this thread. I might be moving to the OC, and I'm glad that the quakes aren't as bad, or probable, as they are north of LA. I grew up in the SF Valley, and felt plenty of them, never thought they were a big deal until the Northridge quake...that one really effected me, it was so scary. I was living in North Hollywood at the time, and my son, then 1yo, was at his babysitters house...in Northridge. A bookshelf fell on his head and he had a concussion. He was fine, but it was so scary, and I felt like the worst mother for leaving him at the sitter's overnight

That's been the one nice thing about living out of state, no earthquake worries! And no traffic.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:27 AM

16 posts, read 90,979 times
Well, I guess we had our quake today. Ironic I found this message. I was in Newport Beach outside and didnt feel a thing!!

Old 07-30-2008, 11:06 AM

451 posts, read 1,078,639 times
I read reports yesterday that experts estimate that if the "Big One" were to hit, there would be 362 deaths in Orange County (I don't know how that got that exact number). In Southern California overall, there would be about 1,800 deaths (the OC 362 estimated deaths is included), 50,000 injuries and billions of dollars in damages. Firefighters would have to contend with putting out multiple fires. Power would be out, no cell phone reception, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or