Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 11:23 AM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,767 times

Advertisements

Excuse me, but how in the h*&# does a place where the median home is $700k and median income is less than $100k make a list of best place to live? You got me there! Oh that's right, that's what SoCal is all about, crappy paying jobs with one of the highest COL in the country. Silly me! Oh- "But the weather!!!!!" *rolls eyes*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:06 PM

110 posts, read 439,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Excuse me, but how in the h*&# does a place where the median home is $700k and median income is less than $100k make a list of best place to live? You got me there! Oh that's right, that's what SoCal is all about, crappy paying jobs with one of the highest COL in the country. Silly me! Oh- "But the weather!!!!!" *rolls eyes*
Test scores...it's all about the test scores. I love how one of the pluses is "year round schedule". It's gotta be Type A capitol of the world. There are more tutoring places in Irvine than the entire east coast. People have their kids in SAT programs in junior high. If your kid is not in AP classes then they are merely avg.

If that constitutes one of the best places, count me out. I want my kids to be kids as long as possible. They will have plenty of time in the rat race when they are my age. Sorry, just felt like ranting a bit.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:18 PM

51 posts, read 240,026 times
That's soo true about your statement on the nightlife in the OC. The only good place where you'll find older people having find is FoxFire off the 91 in Anaheim. That place is crawling with older MILFs looking for a younger guy to have a relationship with. But then there's the usual hookers looking for a sugar daddy to make a profit.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:27 PM
tew

209 posts, read 633,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianCalFullertonStudent View Post
That's soo true about your statement on the nightlife in the OC. The only good place where you'll find older people having find is FoxFire off the 91 in Anaheim. That place is crawling with older MILFs looking for a younger guy to have a relationship with. But then there's the usual hookers looking for a sugar daddy to make a profit.

All I have to say is

The Fox Fire. Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Sorry I couldnt help it.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:24 PM

457 posts, read 977,984 times
Yep, that's one minor reason, I'm going back to the Chicago area. You have an even split of nightlife. The ultra lounges of downtown Chicago and the suburbs are full of oldies bands. The OC sucks for the over 40 something crowd.

Ozzie's in Orange
Airporter
The Hop in Fountain Valley
Mama Gina in Newport
Villa Nova in Newport
The View in Fashion Island
Maxwells in Anaheim Hills
Foxfire in Anaheim Hills
Quiet Woman
Carmelo's

Ozzie's in Orange had Chuck Battaglia. Now closed
Aiporter had Greg Topper. Now called the Atrium.
(Atrium now caters to twenty something promotions)
The Hop closed up
Villa Nova is still a piano bar. Sorry can't stand a place with no dancing
The View was taken over by a demographic that creeped women out.
(now closed)
Maxwell's now closed.
Foxfire (I MEAN CROTCHFIRE) is a mix of diseased women and college guys
Quiet Woman is a Cougar Den
Carmelo's is a twenty something Tshirt/jean venue
Mama Gina keeps changing bands will soon close up

Greg Topper still performs but should retire. He may have been great in the 80's but can he play one song straight thru? Sorry not impressed with his vocal twang. Starts out with a slow song ang BAM...right into a fast song. Same freakin beat/sound to every song.

The only thing left is McClure's with a mix crowd and good bands and Sal at Arbor's.

Old 11-26-2008, 01:16 PM

25 posts, read 51,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chgodon View Post
I was born and raised in a Chicago Suburb. The Wonder Years type
neighborhood. At 28, I moved to orange county.
Loved everything orange county had to offer. I've been here 20 years and learned a lot. Here are my conclusions after 20 years:

- Unless you're still in your twenties, night life sucks.
- Breast implants for a girl's HS graduation gift.
- Newport women who have cloned themselves. Say stepford wives?
- Older women competing with twenty something girls in the dating scene.
- Traffic sucks. 45 min on the 57 from Brea to the crush
- Housing costs. Brea 500 sq' junior apt for $1,100
- Everybody is in a freakin rush to get some place. Then they turn around and start all over.
- The weather is like ground hog day
- I have a few friends, but strangers in public are so rude.
- Most of south county residents are materialistic.
- Neighbors are afraid to talk to each other
- Protesting if one sneezes the wrong way.

There are a few exceptions to the above, but it takes a long time to find those genuine people. I plan on returning to the midwest. Things are more laid back, strangers are more friendlier and it's not all about what you drive. Yes, it gets cold, but who wants to go out when it's 95 to 110 degrees. Great area for vacation, but not to live
Right on. I've been in OC for 13 years and can confirm absolutely everything you mention as true. I'd also add that the people are by an overwhelming majority one of the most culturally-deprived, superficial, materialistic and shallow I've ever seen. Whenever I travel back to NY to visit I find my social life EXPLODES in comparison to OC, mainly because people in OC are simple-minded yahoos who couldn't hold an intelligent conversation if their lives depended on it.

Old 11-26-2008, 11:55 PM

76 posts, read 408,882 times
Quote:
Another thing about being shallow. In the Midwest, if a guy is a janitor or plumber, puts food on the table and respects his wife, it doesn't matter if he's fat, bald etc...

Here in OC, it's what you drive or where you work. I believe people deserve the best, but don't judge me because of what I drive.

Whatever....you are living in a dreamworld that doesn't exist. A janitor or a plumber are ridiculed anywhere. Sad, but true. I spent 8 years in Chicago suburbs -- heart of the midwest -- where girls drive Cabriolets and Jettas and boys drive Jeeps. Southsiders are White Sox fans and looked down at by Northsiders -- Cubs fans.

Now, I live in Alabama. Southern Hospitality is a myth... a facade of "honey" "sweetie" and "god bless" to hide a deeply rooted and barely changing system of old money and family ties -- not to mention overt racism and sexism. Just TRY to break into "real" sororities at Alabama or Ole Miss if your mother isn't Daughters of American Revolution and your daddy isn't a wealthy, wealthy man. Girls only date men in certain fraternities and in 2008, there is still not 1, not 1, black woman in an historically white sorority on the Alabama campus. The "new" sororities are more diverse, but also less desirable.

Plastic surgery? Have you seen Hoover High in Birmingham on MTV? And moms try to outdress their daughters on college campuses across the south.

Drugs? The wealthier the school (public or private) the worse they are. Cars? Puh-lease..... drive around here before you think the OC is bad. Except here, they are gas guzzling Escalades and Hummers and Duallies for single women and frat boys.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:04 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finzup2 View Post
A janitor or a plumber are ridiculed anywhere.
I don't ridicule plumbers, electricians, etc. I know they consitute the millionaires of this country. Know what the Number 1 vehicle driven by millionaires is? The Ford-F-150.

The person that ridicules plumbers and electricians ought to read this:

The Millionaire Next Door - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by finzup2 View Post
Plastic surgery? Have you seen Hoover High in Birmingham on MTV? And moms try to outdress their daughters on college campuses across the south.

Drugs? The wealthier the school (public or private) the worse they are. Cars? Puh-lease..... drive around here before you think the OC is bad. Except here, they are gas guzzling Escalades and Hummers and Duallies for single women and frat boys.
This is sort of true - everywhere. I've seen what people consider snobbishness in Buffalo, Columbus, and here in Huntsville (as a mentioned here in this post):

http://www.city-data.com/forum/5779684-post11.html
"I've sensed this myself in places that wouldn't normally be considered affluent including parts of Buffalo, NY, Columbus, OH, and here in Huntsville. Meaning, in the affluent parts of these towns, the norms are similar. It seems there's a stronger correlation of social behaviors to demographics than there is to location.

A hot mom with $3000 lips on a cell phone in a glossy black SUV gives that same impression in Williamsville NY, New Albany, OH, or the Hampton Cove neighborhood of Huntsville."

Old 11-28-2008, 06:27 PM

70 posts, read 216,504 times
Default It's all the same

I grew up in the Midwest, lived in Boston, the Pacific Northwest, and DC. There is major attitude EVERYWHERE. Some people give it with owning stuff and some people do it through job positions or social connections.

But you can eventually find the good people if you're a good friend and neighbor... and just ignore the ding-a-lings!

And as for good friends compared to acquaintances: I suspect it's fairly normal to have just a few good friends and lots of good acquaintances?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:33 PM

624 posts, read 1,246,921 times
Default Whoops

Quote:
Yep, that's one minor reason, I'm going back to the Chicago area. You have an even split of nightlife. The ultra lounges of downtown Chicago and the suburbs are full of oldies bands. The OC sucks for the over 40 something crowd.

Ozzie's in Orange
Airporter
The Hop in Fountain Valley
Mama Gina in Newport
Villa Nova in Newport
The View in Fashion Island
Maxwells in Anaheim Hills
Foxfire in Anaheim Hills
Quiet Woman
Carmelo's

Ozzie's in Orange had Chuck Battaglia. Now closed
Aiporter had Greg Topper. Now called the Atrium.
(Atrium now caters to twenty something promotions)
The Hop closed up
Villa Nova is still a piano bar. Sorry can't stand a place with no dancing
The View was taken over by a demographic that creeped women out.
(now closed)
Maxwell's now closed.
Foxfire (I MEAN CROTCHFIRE) is a mix of diseased women and college guys
Quiet Woman is a Cougar Den
Carmelo's is a twenty something Tshirt/jean venue
Mama Gina keeps changing bands will soon close up

Greg Topper still performs but should retire. He may have been great in the 80's but can he play one song straight thru? Sorry not impressed with his vocal twang. Starts out with a slow song ang BAM...right into a fast song. Same freakin beat/sound to every song.

The only thing left is McClure's with a mix crowd and good bands and Sal at Arbor's.
The Hop In Fountain Valley has been closed for years...it has been 3-4 different restaurants after the famous Righteous Brothers Night Club
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County